Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT

Posted by: who238

Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/24/06 04:08 PM

All things being equal. Boxer vs KB/MT - KB/MT would win as boxer wouldn't know how to handle kicks and knees. Boxer would win if distance was closed.

All thing being equal and no kicks or knees, boxer would win due to training exclusively on fists.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/24/06 04:35 PM

OK, it's settled then.

Is there a point to this thread?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/24/06 04:48 PM

Well, you can't argue with that. Well thought out, elequoently put, entirely too relevant, and profound in the extreme...

Posted by: JKogas

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/24/06 05:38 PM

Quote:

All things being equal. Boxer vs KB/MT - KB/MT would win as boxer wouldn't know how to handle kicks and knees. Boxer would win if distance was closed.

All thing being equal and no kicks or knees, boxer would win due to training exclusively on fists.

I've seen boxers eat UP Thai fighters. Better punching was the difference.

It wouldn't take very long to prepare a good boxer to face a muay Thai fighter. All he REALLY has to learn to deal with are the clinch elbows, and they aren't allowed in every fight. You can move IN on kicks pretty easily.

Hands deliver more pressure than feet/legs. More numbers delivered at a faster pace. Just simple physics.

-John
Posted by: GuitarNinja

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/24/06 06:22 PM

Indeed, I dont care how good my kicks, my elbows, or knees are, mike tyson will always kick my ass, and someone half the skill/strength/size/speed would probaly do the same, lol.

Its just common sense that a good boxers hands will probaly always be better than anyone elses, regardless of style. Why ? Because they are training them, and only them, more time is spent on accuracy, speed, timing, power, technique, and overall hand fluency.

I cant wait til a world class boxer (ie: mayweather level ) jumps into a MMA bout. I think alot of people would be amazed at just how good world class boxers really are. Look how fast Vitor Belfort took out Vanderlei Silva at UFC Brazil, and hes not even half as good as most top ranked boxers.

This is not to say they would always win, because its not possible, no one has super powers, except maybe that guy in the Taiji video under the MA styles video section.

Either way, without everything your
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/24/06 06:29 PM

Quote:

Its just common sense that a good boxers hands will probably always be better than anyone elses, regardless of style. Why ? Because they are training them, and only them, more time is spent on accuracy, speed, timing, power, technique, and overall hand fluency.

That’s why I believe ya gotta train boxing. I spend more time on my hands than anything else as far as stand-up goes (not that I'm a world class boxer or anything...).

Quote:

I cant wait til a world class boxer (ie: mayweather level ) jumps into a MMA bout. I think alot of people would be amazed at just how good world class boxers really are.

Limited window of opportunity. Boxing doesn’t allow grappling. I just don’t believe that as good as boxers can be, they couldn’t control the clinch or ground. Liddell is able to do so only because he’s a good wrestler.

Quote:

Look how fast Vitor Belfort took out Vanderlei Silva at UFC Brazil, and hes not even half as good as most top ranked boxers.

Belfort was aspiring to be on the Brazilian Olympic team. He wasn’t that bad. Boxing isn’t MMA however. Differences are huge.

I think Silva wins in a rematch.

-John
Posted by: muaythaiguy

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/24/06 07:26 PM

I train boxing hard! Really only focus on kick defense, but my clinch and hands are where I like to thrive. In every other aspect of my current mma training, I really only train defense, or how to get a dominant position in order to stand up again. I'm short, but I'd rather just be close on the stand up than be on the ground with a taller opponent.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/25/06 11:18 AM

This thread is pointless, but still, I will let it run for a while see if it can be civilized. If it doesn't, you get the blame (Kidding dude, I'll just lock the thread).

-Taison out
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/25/06 11:59 AM

thankyou for clearing that up for me who
Posted by: who238

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/25/06 02:08 PM

Just wondering what boxer, KB and MT guys thought about this and how it influenced their training.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 04/25/06 06:11 PM

A great boxer would beat a poor MT fighter. A fabulous MT fighter would beat a lesser boxer.

its the person, not the style, that wins a fight.

Love what you train in, strive to be the best you can, and you give yourself the best 'fighting chance' you can, irrespective of the art.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/06/06 03:41 AM

How about a fabulous boxer vs. a fabulous MT fighter?
Posted by: Cord

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/06/06 04:20 PM

Quote:

How about a fabulous boxer vs. a fabulous MT fighter?

Would depend on who controlled the range and pace of the fight, and who had the better footwork/defence on the day.

again, style vs style hypothesis is useless.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/07/06 02:28 AM

It's hte fighter not hte style, and that's a fact. It's all heart strength and skill.
Posted by: eric235u

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/09/06 06:58 AM

i think it's kind of cool that geographically seperated areas came to similar training methods. it seems to validate these stand up styles we're talking about and make it difficult to compare theme in a style vs style match.

but some style vs style comparisons are fun if the styles are wildly different. i saw a funny video of Drunken Style Kung Fu vs. Kyokushin Karate and the Kung Fu guy got trashed. but boxer vs MT? it's the fighter.
Posted by: Tower_Bloodthorn

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/10/06 11:14 PM

I wish I knew how other Muay Thai academies train. We have a reputation of being terrible at throwing punches. At the Muay Thai academy I attend, we work hard on our punches. A lot of the time, we have sparring matches with boxing rules. No knees, kicks or elbows and no clinch.

This whole arguement is flawed. Based on the information provided, my money is on the Thai boxer. Most American kickboxers and Western boxers don't condition their legs to take blows. One or two well placed kicks to the leg and they probably wouldn't want to fight anymore.

Also, Thai boxers have a range advantage. At long range we have our kicks, mid range we have punches, a few kicks and some possibility of a straight knee and up extremely close we have our elbows, knees plus the clinch. In a straight boxing match, my money would obviously go on the boxer. Anything else and I'd probably go with the Muay Thai guy. It's hard to punch from a clinch and a clinch can be tricky to escape if you don't know how to break it. American kickboxers have the best of both worlds. They train punches like a Western boxer and have Muay Thai's kicks with the exception of leg kicks and knees. It's anyone's game. I personally prefer Muay Thai. At least I prefer the way that my academy teaches it. I could very possibly hate it anywhere else.
Posted by: bin

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/16/06 02:38 AM

So basically most of the time the kickboxer will win due to most boxers' lack of experience with leg kicks... right? That's basically what I got from this video + your opinions.
Posted by: wauteep

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/23/06 10:53 PM

First of all the type of training one goes through affects how good of a Muay Thai Kickboxer or Boxer one is. You can't compare a really good boxer w/ a MT guy who has ok hand skills.

My Kru has legs of steel and really sharp knee and shin bones. If a boxer comes in he will literally disable your legs before the opponent can get a punch in. Though I'm not going to doubt a boxer if he can get into his comfortable range.

And someone brought up that a boxer can take on an MMA fighter, I really don't think so. If we're talking about a pure boxer, it's all gonna be meaningless if they get taken to the ground. Boxers aren't allowed to do much when they meet in a clinch situation, and don't know anything about ground skills.

The punches of a boxer are probably perfect but that won't let them adapt with any situation.
Posted by: wauteep

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/23/06 10:57 PM

I don't know why I typed all that...I don't like "style" comparisons. haha, but I train muay thai and I love it. that's all that matters.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 05/24/06 11:07 PM

one must not judge the art, but the artist
Posted by: WildBill

Re: Boxer vs Kick Boxer/MT - 06/04/06 02:51 PM

Boxing is the middle range for Muay thai. At this one range the boxer might have an advantage...exept that every thing the boxer does the MT guy should be able to do and counter from this range as well. The MT guy would also throw flying knees and some kicks from this range as well.

Close range is in the clench, knees and elbows, and devastating throws involveing throwing the person around by the head. ( and strecthing or even breaking the neck if they fight it )

I personally doubt that a boxer would stand much chance vs a thai fighter with the same level of trainning. His only chance would be a quick K.O. before the other guy got on his game.