help on keeping your guard

Posted by: baby_bwoy

help on keeping your guard - 03/24/06 07:30 AM

I've been doin chinese kick boxing for 4 years now, but i keep repeating the same mistake of dropping my guard..i used to train with a different class but since i moved to a much harder sparring class, ive found it alot more difficult. my instructor says its because ive become accustomed to my speed at dodges, butwhen i fight some of the black belts (im a brown belt), their superious technique always catches me out even if i do manage to duck and weave through the 1st 2 or 3 shots..ive been given help already but id like to ask for more on how to strengthen my guar to avoid these head shots..also im alot shortter than most of the people i fight..thanks
Posted by: JKogas

Re: help on keeping your guard - 03/24/06 06:22 PM

The simple answer would be to say, keep your hands touching your head at all times. Learn to throw your shots from your forehead. Do NOT drop your hands to chin level.

This of course will meant that you will need to drop your level slightly, suck your stomach in a little, tuck your chin and raise your shoulders slightly ("turtle neck").

Since you're shorter, you should be able to do this while avoiding a lot of body shots. Practice and MORE practice!

-John
Posted by: Al_Fernz

Re: help on keeping your guard - 03/31/06 02:31 PM

It may sound stupid but I find that the best way to do this is to imagine a giant rubber band tied around your head, with your wrists tight at your chin. When you go to punch imagine the rubber band forcing your hands back into that tight position.