Withstand low-kicks

Posted by: budokaido

Withstand low-kicks - 03/24/06 06:07 AM

3 days ago, i got low-kicked so hard several times it still hurts today.
My simple question; how do you train/harden the upper legs to receive hard blows several times and walk away instead crawl?

Just keep receiving kicks and your legs adjust over time or can you harden them like shins or so???
All advice would be great, so thanks.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/24/06 06:27 AM

There will be some conditioning on your thighs as you recieve contact over time. However, the truth is, it will always hurt, it is not a good idea to start hitting yourself, and the best strategy is not to get hit there too often.

I'm just wondering who was kicking you hard enough to give you pain for several days. It doesn't seem like a respectful amount of contact in a MA class. When peole hit you- it hurts, that's why you don't hit people as hard as possible in sparring practice.

Don't bother conditioning your thighs, I really don't think it's possible with all the soft tissue you have there. Instead, try to stay out of the way of those thigh kicks- and if your partner if hitting you too hard, damn well tell him so.

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/24/06 06:51 AM

For the new grade we had to spar three rounds, every round against a fresh oppenent. It had to be nearly competition to see what we got.
I was seriously wearing out last round and blocking was harder and harder....
I don't blame anyone except my poor condition.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/24/06 11:52 AM

Budo,

At least from my experience, it follows a bit from what Sup has stated, and that the pain is generally there, but you become accustomed to it a bit.

In other words, you have to sort of temper your legs to withstand this type of punishment and this does not mean to go out and bash your leg with steel bars or kick trees.

Generally, in the normal aspect of training with increased impact...over time, you will begin to tolerate these types of kicks better. If your sytem doesn't have a regular training method to incorporate practice with low kicks this will make it harder for you.

Good luck!

-B
Posted by: Cord

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/24/06 12:32 PM

Being kicked hard causes pain and injury. When you think about it, if it didnt, then it wouldnt be taught as part of an MA
Like everyone else has said, you just get accustomed to it over time. I used to play rugby to a fairly high level, and the day after the first game of the season we would all be stumbling and groaning around like a troupe of well fed zombies; the day after the last game of the season we all used to get together for a few beers and 'last of the season' fitness drills. you adapt to the stresses with regular exposure to them.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/24/06 03:14 PM

Excellently put. This is no difference the grappling or any other activity, you just need to get used to it. I know many people that after grappling sessions are all knotted up the next day with sore necks and joints. Or when they first started class they were sore for months. This is something I am thankfully beyond due to the continued stress of weight lifting that conditioned me.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/24/06 03:46 PM

I am a wuss as far as conditioning to recieve thigh kicks. I would rather try to prevent them from happening in the first place.

I do not really know any good defenses for thigh kicks other than pulling up your leg as the opponent's kick comes at you.

Hopefully you can shin block it before it hits you. I have seen some Ashihara guys *pokes Butterfly* actually lean their legs slightly in towards the incoming kick. Supposedly this can mitigate the impact somewhat, but I did not really try it enough to know for sure.

You could always try to test their face conditioning before they can get to your thigh!

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/25/06 05:30 AM

Although i still felt pain yesterday, yet another hard training took place. During drills i asked to ease up a bit, but for grade there was a part harding too. It didn't hurt so bad anymore, almost like the spots are numbing(in a good way).
Anyway, i got my grade and today's a rest day, so good eating and no heavy kicks
I guess only time and more hard kicks will get me accostumed.
greetz
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Withstand low-kicks - 03/25/06 09:21 PM

There's no real way to condition your thighs like your shins. The problem with trying to condition your thigh is that the better shape you get in (less fat on body) the closer the sciatic nerve becomes to the skin. There's no more fat there to protect it.
Get that lead leg up take the shot on the shin and step down forward punching.

Kevin