HIV in the ring.

Posted by: trevek

HIV in the ring. - 02/26/06 02:29 AM

Here's an interesting interview with Tommy Morrison,

what's the opinion on fighters with HIV?

Is it possible.

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/5352006
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: HIV in the ring. - 02/26/06 09:30 AM

It sound risky, though the qeustion is how risky?

Plus since his condition is public how many guys are gonna want to fight him anyway?

A couple years ago I heard there was a weak cure for HIV, but its chances of working were something like 10%.
Posted by: 1neikoot

Re: HIV in the ring. - 02/27/06 03:13 PM

Here's an interesting interview with Tommy Morrison,

what's the opinion on fighters with HIV?

Is it possible.

Not really Trevek, there is much confusion going on about HIV. Its basically a sexually transmitted disease only. It can be contracted also from needles, believe me, I did alot of reasearch on this topic because I was also worried like many people are. The fact is, the Hiv becomes dead pritty quickly once exposed to air and plus the blood dries up fast and on top of that it has to enter the blood stream, and that is not that easy unless it is with drugs(sharing needles or through sex). I'm not inferring that you can't get it, but if you look at the statistics, 99.9 % get it from strictly sex and drugs.

If you have blood flowing everywhere, that is obviously not going to be safe, but if its just scrapes and little cuts here and there, your not at risk. In fact think of it this way, when you shave, you have this little holes in your skin you cant see, if hiv could be contracted that easily, you would have a large portion of the population contracting it.
In the case of the boxer, you see alot of fights which there can be large amounts of blood dripping, so I believe I answered that question already.

Re: HIV in the ring. - 02/28/06 02:23 AM

I seem to remember he had one or two fights after he was confirmed HIV. Maybe I'm wrong.
Posted by: Taison

Re: HIV in the ring. - 02/28/06 04:35 AM

I have yet to see someone who got infected with HIV due to cuts and bruises from a boxing match. I think it's really hard to transmit the virus this way. I read somewhere, if an infected person had a cut in their mouth and drank water, you could drink from the same cup with MINIMAL chance of getting infected. Still, there's a chance so don't try it.

You have to understand the way of life boxers conduct after they achieve their "fame" and "fortune". I mean, how many times have you heard Tyson going out partying? So many times, I've just given up counting.

I think the road to become Champ is good, but what after? Party time? I think so. Not just boxers, many athletes whom gained fame and fortune tend to take a plunge in their life. Party and drugs. This increases the risk to get HIV infection. So let me ask you, did he get it from cuts or was it his lifestyle that made him infected.

-Taison out

Re: HIV in the ring. - 02/28/06 10:35 AM

I don't think HOW he got it is the question. If blood tests are so standard then the other guy would have been found first.

I think it is the general paranoia about HIV which he has to fight. I don't know enough about it but I'd imagine if a cut is bleeding it is pushing blood away from the cut and so limiting the chance of infwction (of course cuts bleed in different ways).

Maybe they could box in diving suits!
Posted by: 1neikoot

Re: HIV in the ring. - 02/28/06 11:58 AM

"I read somewhere, if an infected person had a cut in their mouth and drank water, you could drink from the same cup with MINIMAL chance of getting infected. Still, there's a chance so don't try it."

Minimal, I'd say zero chance. Remember, the blood has to enter your blood stream. Depending on how much blood is involved here, a little cut in the mouth.....unlikely.