Having doubts

Posted by: Tower_Bloodthorn

Having doubts - 02/25/06 11:49 PM

I'm having doubts about my Muay Thai academy. Classes are an hour long, and half of that is conditioning. The other half is pad work. It works out to be around 15 minutes of actual training. We work with partners, so one person holds the pads and recieves the blows for 15 minutes, then we switch. At the same time, our fighters never seem to lose in the ring. Our sifu is a two time champion and has been training for a long time. He's a great instructor. I just don't know if we're training enough. We have classes three times a week. There are three classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and two on Friday. Each day has a class in the morning, which I'm unable to attend due to school. I usually attend both evening classes, plus the one evening class on Fridays. I also come in early and stay for a half hour after class to work on the heavy bags. I always ask my coaches for advice on how to improve, but I wish classes were a bit longer.

Should I try to find a school with longer classes, or should I stick with this academy? Is this really enough time to improve, or am I not training enough?
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Having doubts - 02/25/06 11:52 PM

Why not both?

Re: Having doubts - 02/26/06 12:11 AM

Quote:

Why not both?

Between school, work, my girlfriend and my grandparents (I really enjoy spending time with my grandparents), I have very little time as it is. Money is another issue. I love Muay Thai. I think it's an incredible art with tons of history. Also, Muay Thai fighters are some of the most fanatic I've ever seen. These are all things that have really drawn me to the art. I don't really want to leave this academy. I'd love to train in Thailand, but that's not happening any time soon.

There is only one Muay Thai academy around here. I've searched for another, but didn't have any luck. I'm a martial arts addict, so I'd love to train in another art. I prefer MT over all others though. You'd need a crowbar to pry me away to a different style.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Having doubts - 02/26/06 12:24 AM

Perhaps you could arrange something with the instructor, the first step would be to ask first.

Just explain your situation to him and see what happens, if its a case of money youll have to find a way around it, maybe after the 'extended session' you could stay behind and sweep up.

Just a thought.
Posted by: PTDragonofSteel

Re: Having doubts - 02/26/06 02:35 PM

May I ask Tower, what is your out of class training regimin like?

Re: Having doubts - 02/26/06 03:27 PM

Quote:

May I ask Tower, what is your out of class training regimin like?

All I can really do is hit my bag at home. I don't know anyone else that's into martial arts the way that I am, so I don't have a sparring partner. I think I'm a little too into Muay Thai though. At work, they call me "The Karate Kid" because I'm always hitting things. My co workers can always tell when it's been a while since I've been to Muay Thai. I'll practice my punches and kicks on boxes or just about anything that won't break my bones, I kick poles and posts (only front kicks where I connect with the sole of my shoe), all kinds of stuff. It's torture. I'm dying to train. The academy takes me a half hour to get to. If it wasn't so far, I'd be there all the time. Between work and school though, I can't get there very often.

Aside from that, I stretch a lot, and try to do push ups on my knuckles to condition my fists. I jump rope, when it gets warmer out I'm going to start running, I skip in my basement...that's about all I can think of right now. I try to do as much research as possible too.