Suggest Combos!

Posted by: Ayub

Suggest Combos! - 02/23/06 05:03 PM

I think a thread about what combinations people have tried and like for us all to give a go wouldnt go astray...

I'll start: (As a southpaw)
- Straight left to the body (nice defensive punch)
- Jab to the face (like a cobra strike)
- Side Kick (waist or higher for best results here)

Posted by: LiLJb72

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/23/06 05:12 PM

i like (MT)

low kick to inner shin (your left on his left)
right uppercut (to set up the..)
left hook (which should set up a nice...)
right side kick/knee to the head...

I also like

Jab
Cross
Jab
Clinch
Non-Stop Knees

then again i like anything with NSK's
Posted by: TwistingKick

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/23/06 05:12 PM

1.fake jab to body

2.jab to head

3.cross to body

4.lead hook to head

works for me

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/23/06 05:15 PM

I know its a classic (in boxing anyway)
but jab, cross, lead hook, uppercut, lead hook works good too!!
Posted by: Taison

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 03:28 AM

*scratch scratch*

In orthodox position. .
1. Fake left elbow to the right, followed with a right uppercut, right swing and finish with a left straight.

2. Left elbow smash against the guard, right uppercut to stomach, left hook to face finish with a right "teeb".

3. Left hook, right hook, sway-back, low shin-kick.

4. Right shin kick, sidestep to your right, left elbow smash.

-Taison out
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 10:12 AM

Basic rules (all rules can be broken)

Enter with a jab to the face, even if it's not going to land, it's job is to get you in and prevent getting hit on the way.

Land your power strikes, finish with something to the face to cover your exit.

And step on every punch.

Jab - Jab

Jab- jab - cross

Jab - cross - jab

Jab - Lead hook - Cross

Jab - Overhand

Fake jab - Lead hook - Cross - round kick

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 11:15 AM

Quote:

Basic rules (all rules can be broken)

Enter with a jab to the face, even if it's not going to land, it's job is to get you in and prevent getting hit on the way.

Land your power strikes, finish with something to the face to cover your exit.

And step on every punch.

Jab - Jab

Jab- jab - cross

Jab - cross - jab

Jab - Lead hook - Cross

Jab - Overhand

Fake jab - Lead hook - Cross - round kick

That is good advise!!
Posted by: TylerW

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 09:29 PM

Im sorry, but a cross is what? I was under the impression it was the same as a hook, but it appears not.

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 10:13 PM

A cross is:

"When in the orthodox stance, jab your lead arm out. You will have created enough space and leverage for your rear arm. Using this leverage, throw a straight with the rear arm."

That's a cross. Now the cross is one of the hardest hits in boxing [Exception of Russian Hook], and is said to be the "Big Bertha" or heavy artillery. Use sparingly and wisely. Sometimes when your opponent throws a straight, you can counter by using the cross. His fist will pass your head, and your fist will hit him on the chin, look at the arms, it's a cross.

The name I have no idea where it comes from. Maybe it meant "Across" or when countered you have formed a "cross".

-Taison out

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 10:32 PM

So it is a straight after a jab?

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 10:44 PM

The most efficient and economical cross is after a lead/fake. The distance the cross has to travel is across your chest from the back. That makes it really slow. If you were to just throw it you would have two problems.

Telegraphing. It's really hard to throw a cross with power if you don't give it leverage and space. Thus a lead/fake is prefered before the cross.

Slow. Now your rear fist has to travel not one arm length, but two. If you don't disguise it like after a lead/fake, anyone can see it and counter/parry your cross.

The cross is also a long-range weapon. Prefered use would be from a distance. If you're in-fighting a lot, I suggest using the uppercut or hook.

No, the cross is not another version of a hook. It's basically a straight done with the rear arm. It travels in a straight line with a lot of force due to distance and great leverage.

Back to your question, it can be called a "rear straight" but cross is a better name as everyone knows it by that name and in detail, a straight and a cross is different.

Assuming you're in an south-paw position.
A lead straight makes your body aligned in one line, whereas in a cross your right foot will be in front and your left fist will be out. Now in if you did a lead straight, your right foot and right fist will be in one line and your chest won't be exposed. In cross, your chest will be exposed to your opponent.

I'll go find some pictures for you, right now I'm kinda busy.

-Taison out

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 10:50 PM

http://lannamuaythai.com/thaiboxing/0000pr02l00047u_techniques__the_hands.html

Scroll down and you should see the cross. That's how it's done in MT and I when I did boxing I did it this way.

Note: They call it a straight but I disagree as I follow BL's idea of how a straight is done with the lead arm. But still a straight is a straight. Now see the picture above the cross, that's how a lead straight should be done but more shoulder put into it with more power, not a snap punch like a jab. It's a hard punch, where you commit much power into it.

-Taison out

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 10:55 PM

Ah, thanks taison.

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/24/06 11:09 PM

You're welcome.

-Taison out
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/25/06 01:44 PM

Cross - can't remember where I heard this, and am not sure how true it is but:

Face a partner, have them stick out a jab, you stick out a cross. The cross will cross over the jab and this is useful to recognize for counter punching

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/25/06 10:24 PM

No no, cross a straight. The jab isn't commited, thus will lead you into him. Like a bait. I suggest doing it on signs that he will fully commit himself. Remember, many if they see that their straight lands the first time, they won't hesitate to do it again and again. Take that oppurtunity, unprotect you face and when you see it coming, hit him with a cross. Guaranteed KO.

-Taison out

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/25/06 11:24 PM

Thats if you are still standing from his crosses.
Posted by: PTDragonofSteel

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/26/06 02:49 PM

Taison, how do you like to use punch-elbow combos?

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/27/06 04:13 AM

???

Come again please?

-Taison out
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/27/06 05:24 AM

I think he means you throw a punch and then you throw an elbow, by the way he wants to know in what situation do you like to use them them

Re: Suggest Combos! - 02/28/06 04:40 AM

Uh. . I love my elbows.

I throw elbows on any chance I get. Punches are hard to throw when your in close quarter fighting. That's when I resort to elbows.

Elbows are good guard breakers, throw one and then follow with a deceptive punch like a hook or uppercut.

-Taison out
Posted by: Gula

Re: Suggest Combos! - 03/13/06 02:43 PM

I think that the best combo for hands in a semi distance is the good ol' lead hand uppercut and rear hand hook. The rear hand hook comes kinda downwards... like from above the eyes. Does that make anysense?
I think its a little bit harder to detect than a vertical hook and when it comes in a downwards angle I find it a little bit harder to dodge.

Its simple and easy to remember
Posted by: Cord

Re: Suggest Combos! - 03/14/06 04:45 AM

though i cant use this combo in Savate (no elbows allowed ) a nice one for free sparring/bag drills is right cross, left elbow, right uppercut to the ribs/solar plexus. Ignoring your lead set up throws some off guard, it also leaves you in better range for the elbow, then a stiff gut shot with your dominant hand wakes them up nicely