Shin conditioning

Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Shin conditioning - 02/22/06 03:22 PM

I know this topic has been covered somewhere, so I apologize in advance if i'm...

I would like to know what other people do for shin conditioning, specifically for blocking kicks MT style. For a couple months, I was tapping my shins with kali sticks and roling on them. This seemed to harden the nerves a bit, but then I started getting shin splints. Are there better ways (other than everyone wearing shin pads!)
Posted by: TwistingKick

Re: Shin conditioning - 02/22/06 05:42 PM

Most of the replys on the older threads would recommend just kicking the heavy bag, and i would agree that this is all the conditioning that is needed.

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/mt/kk24.html

check this out
Posted by: Taison

Re: Shin conditioning - 02/23/06 01:06 AM

Kicking the heavy bag. Try to kick 10 times repeatively rapidly. Then change leg.

For the kali stick. Try to cover it in something that gives way, like cotton or something soft like that. Still it should be hard. Now continue rolling and don't forget to use tiger balm afterwards.

Don't do too much tapping on your legs. It will do more hurt than rolling. But still don't neglect tapping. I suggest you cover the kali stick in cotton or thread so you get impact without a hard edge.

Try rolling something bigger than a kali stick say, iron pipe covered in soft material.

-Taison out
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/02/06 04:34 AM

Im using a metal pole, just a few qeustions:
-how much of the shin do you do? the whole thing or just the part you use.
-how many times should you go over your shins with it? til there all bruised or is there a recommended repetion?

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/02/06 04:43 AM

Actually, I haven't seen you in real life so I don't know how much YOU need to do. My advice, search for a qualified instructor.

But me? I used to condition solely by sandbag but there were sometimes I rolled a pipe on my leg. Did it for 10-15 minutes. Got bored after that.

It's like conditioning your knuckles. Rub sandpaper on it, which way do you think is better? Until it starts bleeding and you have to wait for another 5 days until you can start again or do little by little everyday and achieve constant conditioning?

I used to condition from my in-step to near the knee. A little space is left before the knee.

-Taison out
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/02/06 06:16 AM

I would look for advice from other instructors, but my current teacher is touchy about things like that. I old him I was thinking of taking up capoera and he said something along the lines of 'well enjoy doing that instead'.
I think its something along the lines of if your hunting, you must only chase on animal, if you chase two you wont catch either.
Posted by: Uchinanchu

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/02/06 09:10 AM

Try using an iron broom for light conditioning. You can make one using about a pound of steel rods (the diameter of the rod roughly the same as a wire coat hanger)length 12 to 15 inches, and tape a handle at the end.
Another good training tech. is to use a 45lb. universal bar, sit down on the floor and elevate your legs slightly. You can use a kick bag to rest your feet on. Now slowly role the bar up and down your shin several times. This is something you have to take your time on and build up gradually, so don't rush it.
Another is to work your leg kicks with a partner. Lightly tapping each other shin to shin, building up gradually until you have reached a point were one or both of you need to ease off.
Other than post banging and tire makiwara, I've found the above training to be quite effective if done moderately, but regularly. I would also highly recommend using a Chinese linament called Dit Da Jow before and after every conditioning drill. When applying to the shins, rub it in and in case you get serious bruises, make sure to push the bruise out back towards your heart NOT down towards the foot.
If you want to give your shins a break from banging, try walking forwards and backwards first on the balls of your feet and then on the heel.
Hope this helps. Have fun and train hard!
Posted by: TwistingKick

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/02/06 09:41 AM

Quote:

It's like conditioning your knuckles. Rub sandpaper on it, which way do you think is better? Until it starts bleeding and you have to wait for another 5 days until you can start again or do little by little everyday and achieve constant conditioning?

I've never heard of people doing this, does it work well??
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/02/06 10:17 PM

I have been doing shin conditioning well over ten years. I started out on a 6' Thai bag. Then I rolled Arizona ice tea bottles up and down my shin's and it lead to tapping on them with various objects. Now I mainly use my wooden dummy along with the Thai bag to condition them.
Tapping them with a partner is a good idea(already been said). I like to condition from the instep to the knee. Don't forget to condition forearms too.

Kevin
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/03/06 12:31 AM

I could see doing shin conditioning if you are a competetion fighter,but if you aren't I think you are doing more harm than good.
My shins are well enough conditioned from sparring and kicking a heavy bag over the years.
My forehead ,however,needs work.

Re: Shin conditioning - 03/03/06 03:02 AM

Ok, to all you persistent martial artists out there. Before going on to conditioning let me ask you;

Why do you want to condition? Unless you're going professional, I don't see the need to condition anything. The best conditioning you can do is just work on the bag and with a sparring partner using pads and then a little full contact every now and then.

Ok, I hijacked the thread, but it's kinda odd that everyone except me wants to condition. I find it boring, slow and just a waste of my time when I could just go onto the bag. I mean, there's more conditioning if you can kick the bag for 30 minutes constantly than rolling a pipe on your leg for the same amount of time AND by kicking the bag you'll be conditioning the right part of your leg e.i. the part that makes contact. Condition elsewhere it's just a waste of time. Let me ask you again, would I ever kick you on the knee with my instep? If it's a sidekick, no matter how good the conditioning, you're knee's are GONE.

-Taison out
Hey, this is a good topic to discuss. . . ok, let me post it there as well.