first MT class

Posted by: LiLJb72

first MT class - 02/21/06 09:59 PM

I had my first MT class tonight, i am a traditional jiu jitsu fighter, but figured picking up striking would be good for self defense as well as maybe eventual competition...It was really fun but not quite what i expected. We just kind of paired off and did combos/blocks...i mean i learned a lot, but i have a feeling to master this in 1 hr classes is going to take a decade
Posted by: Taison

Re: first MT class - 02/21/06 10:05 PM

Change class ASAP. The type of MT training you should get should be more along this line;

2 hours class. Class begins with cardio like rope and pad work. Then techniques for 30 minutes followed with semi-contact sparring [semi contact in MT is full contact with protection]. Then you should get more Cardio and call that a good evening.

You should be exhausted every time you get back from training, if that's not what happens, you should reflect if you did all you could or was it the gym.

I hope they have a proper set up ring, 5-6 sandbags with equipments like pads and safety gears.

-Taison out
Posted by: MattJ

Re: first MT class - 02/22/06 01:13 PM

My understanding was that many MT schools do not have the beginners sparring right away, so I am not sure that this is an immediate red flag. There should be a lot of conditioning and bag/pad work, though.

I would suggest talking to some of the other students to find out what the normal progression is at that school.

Re: first MT class - 02/22/06 04:26 PM

We warmed up but not for long, maybe 5 minutes...then went into techniques...they offer a beginners class at 630-730 and mixed lvl/advanced from 730-830...you cant spare until they think you are ready..they have two rings, and tons of bags and thai pads...it is $125/mo for military for as many times as you want to go...does that sound about right to you guys?

Re: first MT class - 02/23/06 01:33 AM

The equipment sounds right but still, I think it's not cardio enough.

125$ is upto you, does it sound right?

Beginners shouldn't spar right away but still you should get the feeling for it. Like do light sparring with little contact with full protection.

Maybe cuz you're military the training there seems a bit soft? Still, you could also work on your own there. Try getting a warmup run before going to class, then when there work on MT, afterwards do some ropes.

-Taison out

Re: first MT class - 02/23/06 08:45 PM

2nd MT class much better

I went tonight and there was a different instructor (this guy was from thailand actually) Tiny little guy, but jesus was he fast as [censored]. He smoked me pretty damn good, we started off with some calisthenics and stretches, and moved into some shadow boxing for 5-10 minutes, then practiced on thai pads with a partner doing combos and ducks and such...then drilled after every combo we learned for cardio...again im still in the beginning classes so i cannot spar yet, but i am much more tired tonight than last time...I am very satisfied with this instructor

Re: first MT class - 02/24/06 03:24 AM

I remember the first time I fought with a Thai boxer. Cuz of my half-blooded origin, my structure is larger than most thais but this dude was really the thing. Fast, strong and really brutal. He just went at me like a berserk monster.

I wish I could spar with him again.
Good luck with your training.

-Taison out
Posted by: DrLoomis42

Re: first MT class - 03/08/06 04:30 PM

I have my second Muay Thai class today. I really enjoyed the first, it was a great workout. I also came on an unusual day as it was fitness testing day, so they worked me quite hard. However this class is somewhat similar to what was described earlier. the Beginners class (which i am in) only runs for an hour, but it is optional to stay and further train for an extra hour afterwords with the intermediate-advanced class, as it basically is go-at-your-own-speed. But we started with Jump-rope, various warm ups, and then moved into shadow boxing and bag and pad work.