Holding in Boxing

Posted by: Prizewriter

Holding in Boxing - 12/26/05 04:19 PM

A TV channel was showing "Classic boxing matches of the past" a while ago. One of the bouts featured was Steve Cruz vs. Barry McGuigan for the world featherweight title.

Now what was interesting about this bout was that McGuigan was exhausted and severely dehydrated toward the end of the bout. He was losing the fight, and in the championship rounds, his corner urged him to tie Cruz up, to hold him. This was the only chance McGuigan had of finishing on his feet.

McGuigan was inept at this. As the commentator stated "He (McGuigan) doesn't know how to hold." McGuigan finished the bout on his feet, and lost by decision.

This got me thinking; should a more formal approach be taken to holding in boxing? When I boxed, we were never taught to hold, but if necessary in a bout we were told to do so. The 2nd Queensbury rule prohibits any hugging and/or wrestling. But anyone who boxes or watches boxing knows that holding takes place in every single fight.

So should there be more specific training to show people who box how to hold? Or indeed how to break a hold without fouling? Could developing formal holding techniques to stop a person from striking you have applications outside of the gym, such as in a situation where a person who boxed could restrain someone? Perhaps that is far-fetched, but what do you think?

As ever, thanks to all who read and respond in a sincere manner.
A Tv channel was showing "Classica boxing matches of the past" a while ago. One of the bouts featured was Steve Cruz vs. Barry McGuigan for the world featherweight title.

Now what was interesting about this bout was that McGuigan was exhausted and severely dehydrated toward the end of the bout. He was losing the fight, and in the championship rounds, his corner urged him to tie Cruz up, to hold him. This was the only chance McGuigan had of finishing on his feet.

McGuigan was inept at this. As the commentator stated "He (McGuigan) doesn't know how to hold." McGuigan finshed the bout on his feet, and lost by decsion.

This got me thinking; should a more formal approach be taken to holding in boxing? When I boxed, we were never taught to hold, but if necessary in a bout we were told to do so. The 2nd Queensbury rule prohibits any hugging and/or wrestling. But anyone who boxes or watches boxing knows that holding takes place in every single fight.

So should there be more specific training to show people who box how to hold? Or indeed how to break a hold without fouling? Could developing formal holding techniques to stop a person from striking you have applications outside of the gym, such as in a situation where a person who boxed could restrain someone? Perhaps that is far-fetched, but what dou you think?

As ever, thanks to all who read and respond in a sincere manner.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Holding in Boxing - 12/26/05 09:47 PM

I received a smidge of boxing training as apart of my JKD studies. We were in fact shown specific ways to hold (basically looping around the outside of the opponent's upper arm), as a means to stop power shots or simply wear the opponent out.

We were also shown to lean in on the opponent as we held them, again to make it difficult and tiring for them to respond.

I would also be interested to hear from more experienced boxers in further detail about this. Very useful technique, with obvious street applications.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Holding in Boxing - 12/26/05 10:37 PM

Clinching in boxing is vastly different than it is in MMA. You don’t want to clinch the way boxers do in MMA or in street fights for the most part - unless you just completely outclass your opponent. Doing it that way is a fast track to being thrown or simply taken down.

Most boxers use overhooks. Wrestlers use underhooks. When wrestlers ARE using on overhook, it's usually a whizzer. The double overhook (salto) is sometimes done as well but you need to be pretty good to pull that off. Both types of clinches (the boxing clinch and the wrestlers clinch) are used to tie up the limbs to prevent the opponent from hitting you, but the wrestlers clinch has much more potential. Not only can you tie the arms up, you can strike and take your opponent down as well. Boxers can’t use underhooks for the simple reason that their gloves are to big to pummel inside with. When you’re bare-knuckle however it’s rather easy to accomplish.

-John
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Holding in Boxing - 12/27/05 07:32 AM

Thank you MattJ & JKogas. We mostly have amateur gyms in Ireland, and indeed, Europe (professional boxing is actually banned in Sweden and Norway).

I could be wrong, but many boxers I know who have trained in the USA stated that the gyms there have a mix of professionals/semi-professionals/amateurs. Holding is even more important in the pros (as the fights are longer).

So we generally don't get shown a lot of holding techniques in Ireland anyway due to the gyms coaching amateurs only. It is good to know though that there are coaches out there showing it.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Holding in Boxing - 12/27/05 08:13 AM

Great post J,

The only thing I can add is no study of the clinch is complete without looking at how it's performed in Muay Thai.

Muay Thai adds elbows and knees from the clinch, and I don't think any art does this as well as Muay Thai.

There are also limited trips/takedowns allowed from the clinch in MT, but obviously nothing like the wrestlers clinch.

A good study of how the clinch is used in wrestling, MMA and Muay Thai will add a whole new dimension to your fighting ability.