UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan

Posted by: Neko456

UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan - 02/08/11 10:14 AM

UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, was a little longer Jon vs. Ryan ect...
I thought both of these fights would be close and long drawn out fights, not knowing the out ome until the end. Ending with a KO or TKO. I was only right in the KO. In the Silva Belfor fight I thought the hands were near equal giving Vito the edge in power, but I knew Silva kicked better. I was shocked to how easy Silva was able reverse Vito once he was takne down. And like most was shocked by the front kick to the chin, taking nothing from Vito a good chin kick will drop anybody. I just missed Silva not being tested and Vito could have done that, but...

Jon and Ryan I really thought after watching Ryan go through his last couple oppoents that it would have been closer. But Jon's skill were quite frankly superior to Ryan's power. Jon took Ryan down at will and held him at bay in the stand up wih leg kicks until he submitted him, and what about that leap frog move to gain his back impressive. Jon really impressed me making a powerful challenge take a whipping.

The WEC guys seem like they are going to merge and do Ok.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan - 02/08/11 06:12 PM

I thought Vitor would have hung in there longer, too. It just shows how far above Anderson is, skill-wise. I think that Jon Jones is the only real threat on the horizon - he is coming on like a younger version of Silva himself. Yes, I realize Silva may fight GSP, but I think that Silva will take that.

I think the WEC guys are doing fine - Cerrone did what he had to against Kelly (douche move with the cheap-shot, BTW), Brian Stann looked really good against Leben, and Sonnen has been one of the hardest challenges Silva has ever faced. When more people see Torres, Faber, Jorgensen, etc, there will be no doubt.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan - 02/09/11 06:17 AM

I felt Vitor was doing well, winning the exchanges until that kick out of nowhere. I don't like Anderson Silva but I must applaud his incredible use of the most underused striking tool in mma.
Posted by: Cord

Re: UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan - 02/09/11 12:51 PM

Vitor was swinging wild and missing by miles. He got one scrappy takedown followed by a glancing shot to the face. Silva just circled and watched as Vitor exposed every flaw in his technique/strategy, then KO's him with the first positive movement he made in the whole fight!
I never thought Belfort would be much of a match, he is experienced, but he is long past his best, and definately of the previous generation of MMA development. Even so, Silva's casual dominance was amazing to watch.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan - 02/11/11 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: MattJ
I thought Vitor would have hung in there longer, too. It just shows how far above Anderson is, skill-wise. I think that Jon Jones is the only real threat on the horizon - he is coming on like a younger version of Silva himself. Yes, I realize Silva may fight GSP, but I think that Silva will take that.

I think the WEC guys are doing fine - Cerrone did what he had to against Kelly (douche move with the cheap-shot, BTW), Brian Stann looked really good against Leben, and Sonnen has been one of the hardest challenges Silva has ever faced. When more people see Torres, Faber, Jorgensen, etc, there will be no doubt.

456 - Jon Jones is a Lt heavyweight I'd favor Silva in that match but who knows. I favored Ryan in their mqatch and look what happened. Bones is the man in up and coming Lt. heavyweighs figters. My 2 cent.

The WEC guys seem more inventive then the UFC fighters (except for Bones Jones), but the UFC seem more refined in there stand up.

456 - Cord did you see what Vito did to my man ex Champ Rick Franklin??? Who Ko the Ice man and beat the Axe Murder.
Posted by: Cord

Re: UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan - 02/12/11 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Neko456
Cord did you see what Vito did to my man ex Champ Rick Franklin??? Who Ko the Ice man and beat the Axe Murder.

Yeah, but Franklin, who seems a nice guy and a credit to the sport, is not remotely in the same league as Silva or GSP. Beating him is no indicator that you are going to do well against Anderson - hell Anderson put his name on the map with the beatings he gave Franklin.

Vitor fights all over the world, he is a veteran, but he is as outclassed by the new generation as Tank Abbot was by him in his prime.

The sport is in its next phase, and Belfort isnt a contender.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: UFC 126 short fight Silva vs. Belfor, Jon vs. Ryan - 02/14/11 01:06 AM

Vitor was throwing short combos of straights, no swinging at all (except on the takedown). I'll watch it again but I've watched the fight twice, I remember a lot of fast straights, most of which missed due to silva's evasive skills.
Vitor shows much better striking than any other fighter in that division, Silva just outclasses everyone.