Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Michael Bisping full fight

Posted by: mmajudo

Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Michael Bisping full fight - 10/20/10 02:41 PM

Hi all,

in case you have not seen the fight of Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Michael Bisping from UFC 120, here is the great fight:

Akiyama vs Bisping

What do you think about the performance of both fighters ?

Enjoy smile
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Michael Bisping full fight - 10/20/10 07:41 PM

I'm no MMA expert, but a few quick thoughts:

i) Bisping seemed to catch Akiyama low at least twice. Accidental or not, he should've been warned/penalized more sternly IMO.

ii) I don't know much about Bisping, but from looking over a few of his fights, he seems (like most MMA fighters from the UK and Ireland actually) to be predominantly a striker. I've heard of Akiyama as a MMA competitor who had a strong Judo background. Well, you could've fooled me in that fight. He didn't seem to make much of an effort to grapple. In fact he seemed to fight Bispings sort of fight. Maybe Bisping made it awkward for him, I don't know, but I don't see how trying to outbox a taller opponent who obviously prefers to stay on his feet was going to win the fight for Akiyama.

I know either of these guys would give me a hiding, but I wasn't overly impressed with the whole thing.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Michael Bisping full fight - 10/21/10 02:05 PM

Asian fighters really don't shine like one would expect them to. Sure in Pride they do but when they come over here they seem to fizzle; perhaps the competition isn't as good over in Pride. Akiyama fought a horrible fight and I don't know how this got fight of the night honors.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Yoshihiro Akiyama vs Michael Bisping full fight - 10/23/10 07:54 AM

Akiyama knew that Bisping would expect a grappling gameplan, so he came out swinging and got instant success, rocking Bisping.

This was both good, and bad from Akayama's point of view, as, although the plan worked, once the suprise element was gone, the advantage went to Bisping in stand up. Sadly, because by that point Akayama knew he could hurt Bisping, he got mesmerised by looking for the KO instead of fighting the fight.

Aside from that, both guys took kicks to the jewels, and all were accidental. I would much prefer to see too oponents apologise like men in the centre of the cage as they did, than have the ref start mucking about with points over accidents.

I also loved the smiles between them when the spinning backfists came out of the bag - lovely sportsmanship cool

I have always found Bisping to be a fierce and respectful competitor, and he has given the crowds some great fights. I really dont understand the hate, other than he is not an American son.