pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?!

Posted by: MattJ

pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 02/27/10 05:18 PM

That's right, Mariusz Pudzianowski vs Tim - freakin -Sylvia!! If this is real, then this marks a GIANT step up for the multi-time WSM competitor Pudz!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/2/27/1329384/mariusz-pudzianowski-vs-tim-sylvia#comments

"Pudzianowski has won the World’s Strongest Man title a record five times. The 33-year-old made his MMA debut in December and this show will mark his U.S. debut.

Also signed for the card are UFC veterans Rich Clementi, Yves Edwards and Houston Alexander.

"This will be the biggest card ever done, probably in the Northeast," said [promoter Corey] Fischer. "The UFC is coming here in August and they’re going to have a hard gate to beat. I think this fight card will be better than what they’re bringing."

"It’ll be on pay-per-view and shown live in Korea, Poland, Canada and about 14 other countries," said Fischer. "This will have more viewers than (the UFC’s) show."

As of now, Moosin will be the first big MMA organization to come to Boston. As announced earlier, Bellator Fighting Championships will head to the Citi Performing Arts Center Wang Theatre on May 6 and the UFC makes its Massachusetts debut on August 28 at the TD Garden."

If Tim shows up in shape, he should take this easily. But if he deson't show up in shape....... Mercer 2.0.
Posted by: Cord

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 02/28/10 07:24 AM

Mariusz will win. I like, and rate Sylvia more highly than most on here, but his stand up does not stand up to high pressure. He likes a boxing match.

Its easy to see Mariusz as a novice, and in some respects he is, but he has solid karate and boxing experience along with his Strength titles.

I think he will be less wild than his debut, and his power will be too much for Tim.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/01/10 01:16 PM

Damn, it looks like it was too good to be true:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/03/01/ex...nd-fight-in-po/

"Former multi-time World's Strongest Man Mariusz Pudzianowski has effectively extinguished rumors of a bout against former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia, as he has been officially announced for a follow-up appearance in the Poland-based KSW promotion.

Pudzianowski, who needed just 43 seconds to defeat Marcin Najman in his first pro bout in Dec. 2009 (video below), will co-headline a May 7 event in Katowice, Poland against a yet-unnamed opponent.

Though some published reports have named Robert Paczkow as his foe, KSW co-owner Martin Lewandowski told MMA Fighting in an email that information was incorrect, and that Pudzianowski's opponent would be revealed within a few days.

The 33-year-old Pudzianowski is one of the biggest sports stars in Poland, after having captured the World's Strongest Man competition in five different years.

Over the weekend, The Boston Herald reported that Pudzianowski-Sylvia would headline an April 23 show in Worcester, Mass., but that seems unlikely with Pudzianowski contractually bound to a show in Poland just two weeks later."
Posted by: Dereck

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/02/10 09:11 AM

Pudzianowski for the win. Sylvia is a bone they are throwing to him. Pudzianowski is going to come out like WWIII with bombs flying; something Sylvia cannot handle. It will be lights out once again.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/02/10 11:09 AM

To my knowledge, Mariusz has not announced his retirement from Strength athletics, so presumably, intends to persue a 6th WSM title as well as his MMA career.

This means, quite frankly, that he will not pass any US state comission's drug testing protocol's, so he is unlikely to fight in the US until such time as he changes his pharmaceutical regime to fit in with those regulations.

That's not meant as criticism, its just a simple truth.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/02/10 11:22 AM

Oddly enough, I don't think Pudz would have any problems with the drug testing. I imagine that most pro-MMA'ers are on something, and they understand how to get past the tests.

I hope he continues to fight, and get better opponents, while holding off on the Sylvia-level fighters for a bit.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/02/10 06:06 PM

Who tests pro MMA'ist anyway in the USA? Is it the state athletic comission (e.g. Nevada)? I know they handle pro boxing tests.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/03/10 11:03 AM

You got it, state athletic comissions do the testing in the USA.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/04/10 06:03 PM

Its not that he would be the only one on juice, its that, as he is still a competetive strongman, and this is still his primary sport, his drug-cycling will be based around that, not his mma bouts. This would cause him problems.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/05/10 11:10 AM

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/17/10 11:13 PM

Interesting diet he has.

[edit] Diet
In one of the World Strongman events shown on TV Mariusz when asked about diet said: "I eat everything. Lots of vegetables."

Pudzianowski commenting on his diet, "My energy comes from my diet. Breakfast is 10 eggs and 2-3 pounds of bacon. Between meals, I eat lots of candy. I need it for energy. Lunch, at 1 or 2 p.m., is a double meal of a Polish pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes.

An hour later, I work out, then take lots of supplements: magnesium, creatine, amino acids, all that stuff, and more chocolate.

Dinner is whatever meat I can get: steaks, pork chops, bacon, plus more sauerkraut and potatoes. [After I work out] I have a protein shake and more chocolate."

In an interview at the beginning of his world strongman career he said that his supplements, training, massages, etc. cost him about 6000 PLN (ca. $2050 USD as of Dec 2009 exchange rate) per month.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariusz_Pudzianowski
Posted by: Gibberer

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/24/10 11:07 PM

Says on his Wikipedia page the he'll fight Sylvia 2 weeks after fighting Robert Paczków.... shocked

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/25/10 01:12 PM

remember to fear wiki - it can be edited by anyone, so is not to be taken as 100% accurate
Posted by: Gibberer

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/26/10 01:08 AM

I read it somewhere else as well I think....oh well, insane if he does do that!

I had another look at his MMA debut. For getting the other guy on the ground like that he didn't do any damage to him at all. Strong but seems to be quite ineffective. Really, Tim Sylvia should handle him no problem.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 03/26/10 07:38 AM

Some interesting reading on why you shouldn't cite wiki.

http://sonify.psych.gatech.edu/~walkerb/classes/perception/readings/Waters2005-wikipedia.pdf

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 04/04/10 08:44 AM

Interview with Butterbean, regarding the Pudzianowski-vs-Sylvia fight:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/3/1403781/butterbean-talks-moosin-god-of

I still can't believe this is really going to happen, but I'm actually looking forward to it!

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 04/04/10 04:28 PM

butterbean is a promoter now? He called the UFC a circus act?

Man, he got balls the size of his body. HUUGE...

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 04/04/10 09:10 PM

I think the circus comments were aimed at Toney more than the UFC smile

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/04/10 12:42 PM

It gets better. These comments are from Pudz's current striking trainer:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/4/1457420/mariusz-pudzianowskis-boxing-coach#comments

"Mariusz Pudzianowski's boxing coach, Olympic bronze medalist Krzysztof Kosedowski about Mariusz's technique:

"His boxing technique is bad. There a lot of holes in his game. His defense is weak, he didn't have much time to learn. There are holes in every aspect of his boxing technique. His jab is bad, his legs are bad, his defense is bad, his offense is bad. I also don't think Mariusz is ready to take a punch"

I dunno......his technique is not great, for sure. But his leg kicks looked pretty serious to me!

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/04/10 02:00 PM

Yeah, have to say that in his first fight his eagerness certainly led to him cramping his own punch technique, but his kicks looked something not to be trifled with.

There must be more too these comments as well, as a trainer in current employment and in good favour with a pro fighters camp does not talk like this.
Smells like sour grapes to me.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/09/10 12:29 AM

Mariusz Pudzianowski wins in Poland, salvages Moosin fight with Tim Sylvia

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=mmajunkie-Mariusz_Pudzianowski_Poland_Sylvia

It wasn't the most exciting affair, but Mariusz Pudzianowski picked up his second professional mixed-martial-arts victory and assured a May 21 main-event fight with former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia hasn't lost its luster.

Pudzianowski (2-0), a five-time World's Strongest Man champion, scored a majority-decision win over DEEP super-heavyweight champion Yusuke Kawaguchi (11-2) at Friday's KSW 13 event in his native Poland.

Pudzianowski, who appeared to run out of gas early in the fight, meets Sylvia at "Moosin: God of Martial Arts," a pay-per-view event that takes place in two weeks at the DCU Center in Worcester, Mass.

Using his size and strength, Pudzianowski earned the decision primarily on takedowns and control of his opponent. However, he showed his inexperience during ineffective standup exchanges, lulls of inaction on the mat, and suspect conditioning that sapped the fighter of energy past the first few minutes of the bout.

Despite his recent skid (following a UFC title run that included six straight victories, he since has won just two of his past six fights), Sylvia (25-6) should have little trouble with Pudzianowski unless the Polish fighter shows brings a vastly different gameplan and gas tank to the upcoming fight.

Still, the 290-pound Pudzianowski, who made his pro debut in December with a 43-second TKO of fellow MMA newcomer Marcin Najman, notched a signature win with the performance. Kawaguchi, a DEEP and M-1 veteran, entered the fight on a three-fight win streak, and his only prior career loss came to British notable Rob Broughton (14-5-1).

Also on the KSW 13 fight card, World Victory Road/Sengoku middleweight Mamed Khalidov (20-4-2), who in 2009 defeated champion Jorge Santiago in a non-title fight, fought Ryuta Sakurai (20-15-6) to a draw. Khalidov, who retained his KSW middleweight belt with the performance, couldn't finish his opponent, and the fight was even forced into an overtime fourth round.

Aside from a loss to Santiago in their March rematch, Khalidov is unbeaten over his past 20 fights

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/09/10 09:38 AM

I didn't see the fight, but I read that Pudz gassed badly. That does not bode well for him against Sylvia. Impressive that he beat a former DEEP champ in his second fight, though. Sylvia still ought not to take this too lightly.
Posted by: Taison

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/10/10 04:55 AM

Shows us how little 'technique' you need if you got 'otherwordly' strength and some notion of knowing what you're doing.

Still.. Sylvia is a lot more experienced in actually 'fighting' someone. Pudzianowski is strong, but has no technique and gets gassed badly.

Even though he claims he can hit quite hard (Pudzianowski), I haven't actually seen him use his hands in a proper manner...

-Donnie out

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/10/10 06:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Taison
Even though he claims he can hit quite hard (Pudzianowski), I haven't actually seen him use his hands in a proper manner...

Have to agree: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YcSyYsrP9Y&feature=related

His pad work looks awful. For someone with an alleged 4th Dan in Kyokushin, and some boxing experience, I would hope to see better stance. He is stood square on, and throwing his punches from a 'prayer' position frown
So all the massive potential for explosivity and hip torque that is lurking in that body is completely neutered, and he is throwing arm punches, and has no ability to move forward, or backward with any speed or use of momentum.
No way will he be able to negate Sylvia's reach without a powerful controlled ability to get inside.
He has a bad habit of 'karate blocking' head shots, leaving his chin wide open and not tucked in to his shoulder. Say what you like about Tim, but he has good enough hands to sting through that tactic at will.

I think Marius needs to step outside the comfort zone of Poland, and come train with a real team, because that dude (was it the cigarrette smoking man from the x-files?) is letting him get away with bad, bad habits.

Maybe his wild aggression and power will be enough, but I cant see it on the evidence available.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/10/10 09:40 PM

If Pudz is serious about going 'mma' he will need to do what Brock did. Get lean, train with a team, and learn to hit like a machine.

Brock might not be technically the most impressive guy, but I'd say between Brock and Pudz, I think Brock would easily manhandle the guy with more power than Pudz could generate. At least, Brock knows how to properly use all that horse-power.

-Donnie out

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 04:43 AM

If Pudz is serious about going 'mma' he will need to do what Brock did. Get lean

???!!! Seriously, MP walks around at about under 10% bodyfat. He is leaner than Brock, who fights (by visual estimate) at 12-14%

Quote:
train with a team, and learn to hit like a machine.

Agreed.

Quote:
Brock might not be technically the most impressive guy

Stand up? maybe so. But his wrestling pedigree is elite, and I am not talking WWE here. So he came to the cage with serious fight ability, just one dimensional.

Quote:
but I'd say between Brock and Pudz, I think Brock would easily manhandle the guy with more power than Pudz could generate. At least, Brock knows how to properly use all that horse-power.

Which is down to technique, and wrestling experience. The fact remains that Marius has the baseline advantage in functional strength and power, he needs badly to learn how to apply it to the mechanics of fighting.

If he manages the transition, then things will get very interesting indeed.
Posted by: trevek

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 07:04 AM

This video shows why everyone should be afraid of Pudzian!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-p2ghwly4

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 07:50 AM

If Pudz is serious about going 'mma' he will need to do what Brock did. Get lean

Quote:
???!!! Seriously, MP walks around at about under 10% bodyfat. He is leaner than Brock, who fights (by visual estimate) at 12-14%

I think Taison may have meant that Pudz needs to cut back on the muscle-mass to help his cardio?

Quote:
Brock might not be technically the most impressive guy

Quote:
Stand up? maybe so. But his wrestling pedigree is elite, and I am not talking WWE here. So he came to the cage with serious fight ability, just one dimensional.

Agreed - Brock's wrestling is very good. He easily pinned BJJ black belt Frank Mir.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 11:38 AM

disturbing!

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: trevek

Not what you want to see in your cell the first night of your conviction shocked

He is quite a character though - this was from some celebrity reality show. He was also runner up on Poland's 'Dancing with the Stars', has his own rock group 'The Pudzian Band' and owns a chain of polish supermarkets.

Jack of all trades, master of one, being picking up heavy things, which he truly is superhuman at.
Posted by: trevek

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Cord

He is quite a character though - this was from some celebrity reality show.

To make it more remarkable, it was live on Saturday, the day after his fight.
He and his partner got full marks from the judges for this routine.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 10:11 PM

Matt hit it on the spot.

What I meant by lean is not lean as in getting rid of body fat.
He's just toooooo big to be very effective. His body just isn't balanced for fighting.

It's like putting a big truck into crash dirby. Sure, any car that it hit will most likely become scrap, but maneuverability is just lacking because of its size.

A good example for a good 'fighting' physique would be Alexander Karelin. Wrestlers have a more lean sinewy physique (they're still big mind you), but they don't have excess muscle mass that hampers movement.

In my opinion, he needs to become 'smaller' while at the same time try to keep his strength. He needs to change his body mechanics from 'lifting heavy' to 'explosiveness'.

Like I said, Brock became A LOT smaller after he left pro-wrestling and entered MMA, but he's still relatively big, but his body wouldn't be able to perform as well in MMA had he been in WWE shape. Did he lose much strength? I don't know, but I don't see any change except he became more agile than compared to when he was in pro-wrestling.

I think if Pudz was able to get his cardio up, use his strength in the right way, he would become scarier than Brock. Until then, all I see is a big tank with no guns, and little maneuverability. Someone like Sylvia could easily run up and put a C4 on it and blow it to pieces.

-Donnie out

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/11/10 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: trevek

A buff guy.. wearing leather like a member of Village People.

If I have to fight him.. tell him to wear an extra thick gi, and no groundfighting.

-Donnie out

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/12/10 05:30 AM

What I meant by lean is not lean as in getting rid of body fat.
He's just toooooo big to be very effective. His body just isn't balanced for fighting.

It's like putting a big truck into crash dirby. Sure, any car that it hit will most likely become scrap, but maneuverability is just lacking because of its size.

I would like to see him learn good fighting technique before making that judgement. Plenty of skinny guys who are just not experienced in sparring look just as rigid and cumbersome. The guy can do the splits, and run 100m in under 12 seconds. Mobility has never been an issue in his career.

Quote:
A good example for a good 'fighting' physique would be Alexander Karelin. Wrestlers have a more lean sinewy physique (they're still big mind you), but they don't have excess muscle mass that hampers movement.

Oh now Tai, I would not expect you to come out with the old 'muscle bound' chestnut. Muscle mass does not hamper range of motion in a joint. The origin and insertion points of the muscles do not change, and the belly of the muscle in which the sarcoplasmic volume lives is never anywhere near the joint, where only tendons are situated. If a bodybuilder does not stretch, then sure, they will be stiff and tight, but the same goes for computer programmers and Karateka doesnt it?

Quote:
In my opinion, he needs to become 'smaller' while at the same time try to keep his strength. He needs to change his body mechanics from 'lifting heavy' to 'explosiveness'.

1. no way can he do that, as all his muscle tissue in involved in his functional strength, and 2. there is nobody with more explosive power in the world. Did you know that in the WSM aeroplane pull, the workload he performed was essentially 50 alternate single leg deadlifts with 650lbs in under 30 seconds?

He has all the physical tools he needs already to be a phenomenal fighter. What you see in the clips are MA noob mistakes common to all body types.
He is gassing because he is tense all the time and trying to 'muscle' his strikes with his arms. Getting smaller wont fix that, learning to punch will.
His movement is stiff because of that tension and truly awful stance and footwork. Getting smaller wont fix that, learning to box will.

Its his technique that is holding him back, not his physique, which has already proven to be a functional and dynamic structure.

Quote:
Brock became A LOT smaller after he left pro-wrestling and entered MMA, but he's still relatively big, but his body wouldn't be able to perform as well in MMA had he been in WWE shape.

His body changed because he was coming from an entertainment industry where steroid testing is not carried out, to an athletic industry where drug testing is mandatory. Nothing more or less.

Quote:
Did he lose much strength? I don't know, but I don't see any change except he became more agile than compared to when he was in pro-wrestling.

You can't make a judgement based on this. He was as agile and explosive in WWE as was dictated by how the story of the fight allowed. Now its a real athletic performance. Its like saying he is less fit now because he looked tired in round 2 when his WWE PPV fights used to last for 30 minutes wink

Quote:
I think if Pudz was able to get his cardio up, use his strength in the right way, he would become scarier than Brock.

Absolutely. But that will not be dependant on his size, that will be dependant on his skill specific training.

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/12/10 10:02 PM

Master Cord,

I bow to your explanations.

Once again, you've proven me wrong.

I still like Pudz better than Brock though. If a guy can go on a live TV show wearing village people type of leather, you're really hardcore.

-Donnie out

Re: pudzianowski-vs-sylvia?! - 05/13/10 04:54 AM

Tai,
If Marius does truly commit his full attention and dedication to becoming a fighter, then you will see changes in his physique, as he will have neither the time, nor energy, to maintain his lifting at its current volume/intensity.

At the moment, he has not retired from Strength Athletics, so he will still be training for these events as well. This is why his fighting sux wink

When/if his priorities change, so will his physique, but I am not convinced he is ready to let go of World Strongest Man comps. yet.

Pudzianowski-vs-Sylvia vid *SPOILER* - 05/22/10 10:32 AM

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/5/22/1482881/tim-sylvia-vs-mariusz-pudzianowski

Pudz looked pretty good in the first minute or so, with some vicious leg kicks. He then managed to get a takedown on Tim, which is no small feat considering that Tim is much bigger, AND has truly good takedown defense.

Pudz appeared to gas not long after that, and from that point on, it was pretty much all Tim.

Re: Pudzianowski-vs-Sylvia vid *SPOILER* - 05/22/10 12:12 PM

As you said Matt, all looked fair and square in the first couple of minutes, and if Maz had gone for strikes instead of taking Tim's back and looking confused as to what to do with it, he may have scored an early upset, but it wasn't to be.

He gassed terribly, and I really think he has to accept that he cannot serve many masters, and either come back to MMA when he is ready to dedicate to it 100%, or drop the strongman stuff and be satisfied with 5 titles in that persuit, and really train to fight.

His understanding of grappling technique is awful, and the ease with which Tim was able to greco him off balance and then switch positions on the ground at will shows how basic Maz's training has been so far, though to his credit, he did manage an arm-bar attempt.

Tim was very wise to come in 'out of shape' to make himself as heavy as he dare. Combined with better balance and technique, it really negated Maz's chances of sustained manhandling of him.

Maz did show a good chin, taking some solid knees to the face, and i dont think he disgraced himself, but I dont see the untapped potential in him that I do in Kimbo, for example, who may be raw and limited, but 'gets it'. Maz does not look comfortable in the cage, but then, few would with the limited amount of experience he has.

Jury is still out as far as I am concerned.

Re: Pudzianowski-vs-Sylvia vid *SPOILER* - 05/22/10 04:28 PM

Yeah, me too. Pudz's strikes have power, but his lack of footwork and head movement are going to be his achille's heel against even mid-level strikers. To say nothing of his ground game. :p

I do think he could be a force if he got with a high-level MMA camp. He has made some good improvement. I was quite impressed that he was able to take Sylvia down, which is something that some much more seasoned MMA vets can't claim.

Re: Pudzianowski-vs-Sylvia vid *SPOILER* - 05/23/10 07:08 AM

The dude has problems when it comes to talking.
He keeps saying stuff that he should regret mate.

"He promised the people of Poland that he's going to win tonight"
"My right punch, even I am afraid of it".

He should spend less time dreaming and attend to reality. His striking isn't the best, his strength is untapped, and he can't beat a pro-mma guy at this stage.

The guy gazzed after 1 minute of fighting. The last round he actually fell to the floor on his own.... He needs stamina, until then, let the real fighters fight.

-Donnie out