Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video

Posted by: MattJ

Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/11/09 09:30 PM

From this link:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/12/11/1196846/clip-of-the-day-mariusz

The big man has some mean leg kicks! One of my favorite, and often overlooked, techniques.
Posted by: Gibberer

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/12/09 04:52 AM

That guy's a monster! Would love to see him up against a skilled technical fighter. You wouldn't get a much better test of the old adage that technique always beats strength...
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/12/09 10:10 AM

Wow, he got a pretty big gig in Poland. KSW is the premier Polish MMA organisation, and it was shown on Polsat, which is like SkySports in the UK, or ESPN I suppose in the US. I guess his fame as a strong man helps promote his fights. KSW's had a decent group of fighters, with all sorts competing from different backgrounds. Even Juras Jurkowski, the TKD fighter, made his name winning in KSW.

Pudzianowski still looks pretty raw to me. His power is huge, as you'd expect, but for a guy with such a long background in combat sports, he looked like he needs a lot more experience competing with lower tier guys before he can take on anyone with some pedigree. And that's to be expected! I just hope that Pudzianowski's age and the Polish media's expectations don't force him to accept fights that are beyond his current experiences. Like with any prospect, Mariusz's career needs to be managed somewhat sensitively if he is ever to achieve what people think he is capable of.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/13/09 09:02 AM

Mariusz is a huge star in Poland (technicaly, he is a huge star everywhere wink ), and came 2nd in their version of 'Dancing with the stars' a couple of years ago.

He has boxing, and also high level Kyokushin experience, though I would doubt he had done any heavy sparring for some years to avoid injury in his Strongman competiton, but that is supposition on my part.

He looked scrappy, but his functional power has no doubt made it through the transition from SM to MMA, and that is going to be a problem for a lot of competitors.

I dont expect him to be unbeaten - its rare in boxing, and I suspect impossible in MMA, but he has a will to win that is freaky - his intensity in the WSM circuit is legend, and that will serve him well, and I fully expect, should he choose to focus on MMA as the next stage in his career, that he will be in the UFC before 2011, and I really dont see any reason why, as he learns the game, he cannot dominate in the same way as he has in Strongman for the last 8 years.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/16/09 09:25 AM

Awesome, he was always my favorite in the strongman comps. The video doesnt work anymore, I cant wait to see him fight!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/16/09 12:23 PM

I missed this earlier and cannot see the fight vid. Will look for his big debut in the bigger MMA events.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/16/09 12:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOZI-2vk2Nw

Is this it? He looks nothing more then a brawler to be honest. Have no doubt he is strong, strong as hell. Have no idea who the other guy is other then a boxer. Let's see how he does against somebody with skill/technique; a really MMA fighter. Perhaps he will have success like Brock Lesnar.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski's MMA debut video - 12/21/09 10:07 AM

I think it would be interesting to see if he comes to the US to compete.

People underestimate the qualities that he has at their peril.

Strength - Unreal
Intensity - Make Kimbo look like a pussycat.
Skill - Not so great but looks like if he hits or kicks you, it'll tear you in half.

I also think he would be different from Brock Lesnar. Lesnar uses a grappling background to take down and then ground and pound, but while his fists are like lumps of meat I believe they do not do the damage as effectively as they could.

MP appears to want to stand and hit/kick and has no fear of being hit (yet). Hey, how do you stop a dump truck? When he got his guy on the ground, I thought his pound was far more intense and effective than Lesnar's.

The down side? What's MP like if he's on his back? How's his stamina? The bulky guys are notorius for being explosive but gas quickly.

I say it'll be interesting.