Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA?

Posted by: MattJ

Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA? - 08/05/09 02:03 PM

Even Brock Lesnar may be quaking at the thought of this:

http://www.cagepotato.com/look-hell-out-alert-world%E2%80%99s-strongest-man-fight-mma

"You know those “World’s Strongest Man” competitions on ESPN 2? Really makes you wonder how that’s been a staple of their programming for years while MMA can barely get some highlights on Sportscenter every now and then, doesn’t it? But that’s beside the point. Apparently the dude who has won more Strongest Man competitions than anyone else is now coming to MMA, and he’ll presumably be bringing those MC Hammer-style bodybuilder pants with him.

Mariusz Pudzianowski, who may challenge Krzysztof Soszynski for the sport’s most difficult to spell name, will make his MMA debut at an event in Poland this December. He’s done some amateur boxing and Kyukoshin karate, so he’s not a novice to the fight game. And even though he may not be UFC-bound any time soon, we’ve always said that this sport needs more of a crossover appeal to the Polish/Strongman audience, and Mariusz might just the man to finally bridge that great divide.

Fun facts about Pudzianowski:

- He was on the Polish version of “Dancing with the Stars,” the existence of which proves that Americans aren’t the only idiots in the world, and he finished second despite not being a very good dancer.

- He formed a pop rock band called Pudzian Band in 2005 (see above video), and recorded the uncomfortably titled hit, “Zdobyć świat” (To Conquer the World).

- He has this unintentionally hilarious story to explain how he got his start in strength training at age 13:

"I met a kid, he was 12 years old. I could not lift him, then he tried to, and he lifted me up 6 inches in the air. He was strong. This motivated me to work out and become the world's strongest man."
Posted by: Cord

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA? - 08/05/09 04:34 PM

What a charmingly xenophobic and patronising article.

Here are some more 'fun facts'

* Marius is the only person to win 5 WSM titles, beating Bill Kazmier (USA) and Jon Pol Sigmarson (Nor) in the history books (both won 4).

* He is a 4th Dan Kyokushin karateka, with a lifetime of full contact competition experience

* He began boxing in prison, and was considered for the polish national team upon release.

* He can do the full splits, and runs 100m in under 12secs (at 270 lbs)

He is, in my opinion, the greatest athlete in the world today, and I really, really dont envy anyone facing him in the cage.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA? - 08/05/09 04:44 PM

I agree that the article was not very flattering. But I think the Brock Lesnar angle is a legit one. Mariusz is (as you put it), probably a greater athlete than Lesnar is. I would be terrified at the thought of facing someone like him in MMA.

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA? - 08/05/09 05:12 PM

Lesnar is a big strong guy, but its all relative. Marius routinely behind neck presses 400lbs for reps! If you have seen the WSM and IFSA competitions recently, they are beyond the reach of mere 'big strong guys' . Pulling a military transport aeroplane 20 meters, on an incline to ensure its not 'too easy' (!!!!!)He did it in 21 seconds, on a torn calve (!!!)
He runs (not walks, runs) with a 1000lb super-yolk on his shoulders. Most of the guys dont even complete the course, and he sprints with it!

I know you cant build muscles on a chin, and I know that such feats do not have to equate with fighting skill, but the simple truth is, that there has NEVER. been a professional fighter who has ever brought this level of explosive power to a ring or cage.

Psychologicaly, the tenacity and pain tolerance required to do this stuff is crazy. Hands rip open, bones break, tendons pop, and often these guys will strap and work through things that would simply make most people pass out.

If he devotes himself to this, and can develop a solid game, then its going to be scary.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA? - 08/05/09 08:50 PM

yes... but he's already 33, and he's never going to get a chance to fight in the UFC. Mariusz is probably the greatest WSM ever and for that we should give him credit. His forays into MMA are good fun, but I don't think that even he himself is considering properly devoting himself to getting to the highest level.

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA? - 08/06/09 04:25 AM

I wouldn't be so sure Supremor, he has already anounced his retirement from Strongman after his 5th win last year.

He is an incredibly focussed individual, who despises being beaten, I dont think that he would enter any sporting endeavour 'for fun'.

He may be 33, but his striking game is there, so now its down to how much flair he shows for grappling. He has already demonstrated the mobility and flexibility for it, so its down to technique. If he does well, and captures the publics imagination, do you really think that Dana wont want to put on 'Brock lesnar vs the Worlds Strongest Man' !?

I will also be interested to see how his immense power alters certain situations (or if it doesnt). Example: armbar defence. The theory is that the arm is no match for the hips of the attacker, but in a conans wheel competition, the biceps tendon takes upward of 500lbs as they carry the damn thing in a circle. How many are used to having to do a full supine deadlift to facilitate an armbar?

Want to apply an RNC to that neck? If your guard is locked in, how do you get purchase around that shoulder/chest expanse?

Its going to be interesting, and having followed his career for many years, I dont think he would do this lightly, nor do it at all if he didnt feel he had a good chance of success.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Mariusz Pudzianowski to fight MMA? - 08/06/09 08:35 AM

Lesnar vs mariusz is one fight I would pay big money to see.....