Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10

Posted by: MattJ

Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 09:33 AM

From this link:

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/06/02/dana-white-was-right-kimbo-slice-wont-win-the-ultimate-fighte/

"Now Kimbo has been given a spot on the 10th season of The Ultimate Fighter, which begins taping this week, and I believe White will be proven right: Kimbo won't make it out of the house and into the UFC.

The UFC's decision to give Kimbo a spot on The Ultimate Fighter -- which White confirmed to Kevin Iole of Yahoo -- makes sense from a ratings perspective. Kimbo is a big star, probably the most famous MMA fighter in America. But from a competitive standpoint, Kimbo just isn't good enough to beat the kind of competition he'll face on the show."
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 09:52 AM

Good for the ratings bad for the sport. The best part about TUF is the training and the fights at the end. I don't want to watch all the drama and you know Kimbo is going to start drama.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 10:12 AM

What the hell, I will put a 'virtual' $10 on him winning the whole thing

What odds am I getting at this stage? who wants to be bookie?
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 12:22 PM

Cord I will give you 7-1 odds on that bet.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 01:39 PM

Great ratings move, but Kimbo will probably get owned. In watching him, once you move him out a pure boxing type fight he looks pretty weak.

That said he did make Tank Abbott look scared so he does have something, just probably not enough to deal with a balanced fighter.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 03:22 PM

Quote:

Cord I will give you 7-1 odds on that bet.

Awesome! I wonder what I will buy with my imaginary $80? maybe an imaginary bottle of cheap scotch, and an even cheaper imaginary woman!!

*Cord stumbles off to read his Bukowski collection*
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 03:38 PM

Quote:

Great ratings move, but Kimbo will probably get owned. In watching him, once you move him out a pure boxing type fight he looks pretty weak.

I don't know, the heavyweight division is not exactly the deepest in the sport. Kimbo has some legitimate skills- decent boxing and a lot of power. He's also training with Bas Rutten and is probably working a lot on a sprawl and brawl kind of strategy. It's tough to know how he'll do without knowing the rest of the field, but I wouldn't count him out by any means. One problem he will have, IMO, is his age. He's 34 already, and he won't recover from fights like the younger guys. The TUF schedule is pretty frenetic and I wonder how able Slice will be to keep up with it all.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 03:41 PM

I am totally surprised that Dana is taking him onto this show. He said Kimbo would never be in the UFC and as far was I'm concerned, making it to this show is almost the UFC as we know that even fighters that don't win wind up fighting and many doing well enough to gain substantial fan bases. I think Kimbo will be one of those and I believe that he will probably come in "fit" and "ready" and may be a handful for many. He CAN hit hard. Yes he is missing many skills but can anybody say what he is training now or in the last months prior to his last fight?

I suspect Dana may end up eating his words. And again it looks like money and ratings are the key things. How long before José Canseco makes it to this reality show? Celebrity Wannabe Fighters. Perhaps on his TUF show they can also bring in Tonya Harding and Steven Seagal.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/02/09 05:52 PM

Quote:

He's also training with Bas Rutten and is probably working a lot on a sprawl and brawl kind of strategy.

FWIW, Bas does not train Kimbo anymore:

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/02/10/bas-rutten-on-his-youtube-fame-and-why-hes-done-training-kimbo/

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 02:01 AM

Quote:

Celebrity Wannabe Fighters. Perhaps on his TUF show they can also bring in Tonya Harding and Steven Seagal.

I seriously predict this kind of thing in the future. There have been several 'celebrity boxing' events over the years, and with Gracie JJ and Krav being 'hot' amongst the denizens of tinseltown, its only a matter of time before b-lister's and fading A-listers look to throwdown for charity and a popularity boost- not in that order either.

As for Segal, oh my, I would love to see that. I would want someone really brutal, and methodical, and painful, to get hold of him. Matt Lindland, no, what the hell, Fedor! Yes, I want to see Segal be carried, bloodied and crying, through 3x5 measured, torturous rounds
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 02:28 AM

Seagal has obviously became rusty with his ways since his days of running a dojo in Japan

I mean did you see him in Out for Justice in the butcher shop scene?!

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 03:52 AM

Did you hear about him being KTFO by a stuntman in under Siege?

Not as easy to layeth the smackdown when your target isn't Kelly LeBrock.

Give him to Fedor, I would pay top dollar to see it

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 11:00 AM

Looks like TUF is becoming second chance for some former NFL players, too:

http://www.cagepotato.com/four-nfl-vets-announced-tuf-10

"Though the UFC is keeping the cast of TUF 10 under wraps for the most part, MMA Junkie is reporting that four of the 16 heavyweight hopefuls did time in the NFL before taking up fighting. Here's a cheat sheet:

Marcus Jones: First-round draft pick for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1996; spent six seasons as a defensive tackle, then moved to the Buffalo Bills for two years but didn't play in the regular season. Training out of Gracie Tampa with Rob Kahn, the 35-year-old made his professional MMA debut in October 2007, and now holds a 4-1 record, with all fights ending in the first round.

Brendan Schaub: Former fullback for the University of Colorado who spent some time warming the bench for the Buffalo Bills. His martial arts career is far more impressive. A training partner of Shane Carwin, Schaub has racked up a 4-0 record as a professional MMA fighter, and was the 2008 Colorado Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Absolute Advanced Grand Champion. He currently trains with Team Jackson in New Mexico and T's KO Fight Club in Colorado. He became inspired to study martial arts after watching Bloodsport.

Matt Mitrione: Another defensive tackle who had a nine-game stint with the New York Giants in 2002, then spent some time with the Minnesota Vikings but didn't appear in any regular-season games. The 30-year-old Illinois native has yet to make his professional MMA debut. I'm just saying, if they were to throw Kimbo a soft first opponent, this would probably be the guy.

Wes Shivers: Played three games with the Atlanta Falcons as an offensive lineman after being selected by the Tennessee Titans in the seventth round of the 2000 NFL draft. His MMA record is 0-1 as a professional and 4-0 as an amateur, and he has previously competed as a super heavyweight."
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 11:35 AM

CORD why are you so into watching Segal get KTFO especially in the UFC cage? Oh I forgot its a family thing he did something to somebody that your family didn't like.

Segal is a nearly 50 yr. old man why would he or you want to see him beat down in a Cage match no matter what your beef with him. I'd like to see any of these UFCers in a Pistol match with him (not shooting at each other but total score in a combat scenario). Cord maybe your SAS trained Dad could match him but non of these MMAer most likely.

Kimbo Slice in the UFC is a awesome striker but his weakness is his chin and ground work unless he has improved, he jsut killed my theroy on having a strong neck muscle helps prevent KOs. I keep remembering what he did to Tank Abott who doesn't lie down for nobody but Tank was near 45 then. Slice age is the only thing that would stop him from going on, if he was fighting one of my fighters that bread would have to GO!

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 01:15 PM

Quote:

CORD why are you so into watching Segal get KTFO especially in the UFC cage? Oh I forgot its a family thing he did something to somebody that your family didn't like.

Segal is a nearly 50 yr. old man why would he or you want to see him beat down in a Cage match no matter what your beef with him. I'd like to see any of these UFCers in a Pistol match with him (not shooting at each other but total score in a combat scenario). Cord maybe your SAS trained Dad could match him but non of these MMAer most likely.

OK Neko, I dont know who took the jam out of your donut, but I would start adding a few smileys here and there, because I would hate to think you were taking a pop at my dad, for his sake, and because it would make you look like a real cowardly c*nt wouldnt it?

To elaborate on my dislike of Mr Segal, (though why it should bother you I have no idea), it is based on his well publicised blatant lies about his background (black ops, bodyguarding, special forces- all untrue), that he used to get a foot in the door in hollywood. He then used his new found profile to bad mouth pretty much every prominent/respected martial artist in the world through a series of interviews in the 80's and early 90's, whilst feathering his nest as the first ever VTG.
Then it turned out that this guy was a wife beater and mysoginist, whom had a restraining order issued against him to protect his estranged wife (Kelly LeBrock) from further injury.

Along the way, he also managed to make a claim that he had never been put down in a fight. This claim was brought into question when a stuntman on Under Siege knocked him sparko. In mitigation, Segal said it didnt count because he 'wasn't ready'

After his star went into decline, he re-invented himself as an eco-warrior buddhist, and busied himself trying to make people forget what a douche he had been for over a decade. Good for him.

Now, for my dad's part in this, it is non existant, but I will qualify that he was never SAS, but served in the British Navy from '43 - '46, then joined the Metropolitan Police, from where he took a posting to Hong Kong (which was to become the RHKP whilst he served). He rose through the ranks, and was, among other things, advisor to interpol on various anti-triad task forces, security and close protection co-ordinator for Official visits/Dignitaries, and also was a squad commander during both '56 and '66 riots.
Coming up to 82 years old, he is (touch wood), fit, active, still exercising, and maintaining a 32 inch waist /44 inch chest. He was 6'3" but is now 6'0 due to the ageing process.

Top all that off with the fact that he has never struck a woman, never lied to aggrandise himself, and never written a check with his mouth that his body couldn't cash; and you may get an idea of why I hold such a dislike for a person such as Segal.

I trust that brings this odd little exchange to an end. Lets not make it personal in future.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 01:17 PM

Neko, Seagals martial arts history has always been something found over embellished to fit his persona as a tough guy and martial arts expert. Many people have done this and have endless websites promoting them as such; whether by themselves or done by others. Many get busted for it; especially on websites like this and others I have frequented.

While I have enjoyed many of his movies, they are movies and the stuff he does is for movies. In his prime or now if he were to enter MMA, he would get his a$$ handed to him. And the stunt man thing; it was Gene Lebell and he choked him out; or so the stories go.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 02:22 PM

Ok I got the LE dept for UK wrong, I knew he had some LE training and figured he would be good with a gun. I don't need to use any smilely faces I'm man enoughto admit I was just wrong about where he was trained he still sound like a tough SOG meaning Son of a Gun meaning piece of steel (touchy brits darn).
I see you guys go way back with Aikido Master Steven Segal.
I've heard all that before and believe you put any one of Us under a micro scope and none of us could throw a stone Segal used what he could to get ahead. I remember when some of the popular Martial artist where looking for him, it only made his name bigger such is life in Hollywood. Hell some of my Moms favorite actors were Paul Newman, Marlon Brando and Rock Hudson talk about busting my Mom's ballon!! Segal don't sound all that bad to me when you look at his company and the latest news, at least he is a flawed MAN.

And I can see your size is Genetic not steroids . U have a right to be proud of your Dad.

Dereck as for Geen LeBell choking out Segal that is a long list of people that Lebell has submitted. and almsot any Trad martial artist in the 90s wouldn't have had much chance in the Cage in their prime. Judo Champ Gene Lebell real title is Master Gene Lebell pink Gi and all.Going by Gene even helios Gracie didn't want to got to the mat with him, of course Gene had him by 40-50lbs..

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 02:36 PM

Quote:

Going by Gene even helios Gracie didn't want to got to the mat with him, of course Gene had him by 40-50lbs..

That's actually not quite right. Helio agreed to the fight if Gene dropped down to 140-150 pounds, which Gene declined to do. Remember that Helio was quite a bit older than Gene at the time.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 04:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Going by Gene even helios Gracie didn't want to got to the mat with him, of course Gene had him by 40-50lbs..

That's actually not quite right. Helio agreed to the fight if Gene dropped down to 140-150 pounds, which Gene declined to do. Remember that Helio was quite a bit older than Gene at the time.

That is very interesting Matt, especially because one of the selling points of GJJ was that it was an art that allowed a "weaker" individual to defeat a stronger, bigger, whatever, individual. In fact, that was the whole idea of the UFC. To pit a skinny Royce Gracie against bigger, stronger competition and have him win out to market their art to the world.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 04:46 PM

Well, I think that is true within reason. No martial art is magic.

I am guessing that Helio felt he had done enough of that in the past, not to mention that LeBell was a grappling master in his own right. In addition to being younger (Helio would have been 60 something?) and bigger.

I don't see where this materially changes the GJJ legacy.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 05:44 PM

Yes and remember helios victory over the huge JJ brick layer, I believe it was because of Master Lebell's skill that made helios did not want to roll with Gene. Gene Lebell was already a Judo Champ and wrestler back then taking on Challengers just like the Gracies. helios was good but I believe Gene was a bigger Kimura level Judoka.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 05:59 PM

Quote:

I see you guys go way back with Aikido Master Steven Segal.
I've heard all that before and believe you put any one of Us under a micro scope and none of us could throw a stone Segal used what he could to get ahead.

I can't buy this at all. Every day, I interact with people who dont beat women, who didnt lie to get their jobs, and who do not feel the need to project a false image of themselves.

Of course actors are only human, and they are paid to portray a character that is not their own. Its when they attempt to blur that line to aggrandise themselves that annoys me. How many times have you seen Segal play a 'tough ex special forces agent' and then use his aikido to teach a lesson to a guy who has slapped a woman in a restaurant. Its his bread and butter, and he relies on us believing that he would do this in reality, that he can identify with his character from personal experience. Horse sh1t.

I would even cut him some slack if he showed some humility, or apologised, or put his hands up and said 'fair play, I was an a$$' , but to just start wearing beads and re-invent himself as some blues guitar twanging Holy man just makes me vomit in my mouth a bit.

You gain pleasure from his films, hell, I will still watch his old movies if they come on telly; but he is an arrogant Walter Mitty who I would take great pleasure in watching get a 'pro-celebrity' beatdown, thats all.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/03/09 06:13 PM

Sorry for the thread drift but:

Humility, peace, love, and Steven Seagal:

http://stevenseagalism.tripod.com/id34.html

This is a fan site..but you get the idea.

Not sure if you're aware but he now claims to be a tulku and has his own kind of half-ass commericaized version of tibetan buddhism thing going on.

If I recall he also has a "chi based energy drink".

http://lightningdrink.com/chi-energy.html

BTW, I don't call myself a buddhist or anything, but it is a philosophy that I somewhat take seriously ...and i'm posting this stuff to basically say that I find Steven Seagal's crass marketing of these concepts, and of his own image within them pretty ugly and exploitative.

Other than that I don't care much about him, I have never viewed him as a particularly serious MAist, as much as just a movie star and entertainer.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/04/09 12:18 AM

scarry, Seagal in a cowboy hat. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqoXRpb3zQc

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/04/09 12:56 AM

Right to the movie store where it will get overlooked by just about everybody. Perhaps if it comes my way I will watch it.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/04/09 04:24 AM

Wow, the 'Action Lama' just keeps grinding on, like continental drift.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/04/09 08:54 AM

Back on topic -

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/6/3/898149/a-shot-at-the-ufc-equals-a-shot-at

"The never timid Dana White was there through it all to point out the holes in ProElite's and Kimbo's respective games. As most know, he even offered Kimbo a shot at the UFC via The Ultimate Fighter. All the smart money said that Kimbo would never take such a raw deal when his still huge name could score substantial paydays elsewhere. What most of us may have discounted was Kimbo Slice's pride. It never occurred to many that he may, in fact, want to redeem himself. Maybe, he wasn't comfortable taking a paycheck with the cloud of Seth Petruzelli and the ProElite debacle hanging over his head. Boxing cans handpicked by Gary Shaw would be the proverbial path of least resistance."

I have to agree - and offer Kimbo some respect. He seems to really want to be a legit force in MMA.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/05/09 03:24 AM

I have always given him that respect MJ, he could make more money in numerous ways, living off his internet rep, than making the move into professional sport in his 30's. He fought Gannon, and found their were things he couldnt deal with. Rather than say 'well I will just throw hands with guys I know I can beat', he said 'Damn! I want to learn how to cope with/use that stuff!' . From there he decided to go further and put himself further out of his comfort zone by going legit - an act that, in its implicit nature, says 'I dont care about my 'unbeaten' record'.
He always comes in in crazy shape, and seems to have a genuine love for the sport.
I dont really see why people give him such a hard time? Lesnar and Lashley get cut some slack, because under the razmataz, they have a proven 'real' wrestling history. Well, behind the hype, Kimbo's fight history is real too. Not legal, and not clever, but its there.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/05/09 10:32 AM

Cord good points. Kimbo doesn't seem like that big of a jerk I saw him on jimmy Kimmel and his interview changed my outlook a lot. I just see a problem with him being on TUF because of his persona. The show is all about drama now and not the sport.

On the other hand if Kimbo can learn some good wrestling from either Rashad or Rampage that will up his game 10 fold. I am not saying I don't like the guy but I just would rather see him fight then be on TUF.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/05/09 04:23 PM

Quote:

I am not saying I don't like the guy but I just would rather see him fight then be on TUF.

I see your point, but, if you remove the hype, TUF is, in essence, a chance for good undercard fighters/regional promotion champs, to move up a step and introduce them to the big leagues with a pre-built fan base. Looked at like that, it is aimed squarely at Kimbo's level as a pro fighter.

I think that Dana is desperate to get kimbo into the UFC, but can't go back on his emphatic dismissal of him 2 years ago. That decision was made at the time because Gannon had a shockingly poor fight in the UFC, so Dana thought 'Kimbo won't have the goods either'. He then had to sit back and watch all the press and hype take off as Kimbo launched what is a moderately successful, and very profitable MMA career.

Dana screwed up, and this is his way of getting Kimbo in through the back door.

Win or lose TUF, I guarantee we will see kimbo vs Lesnar by the end of 2010 - thats what Dana is manouvering for, I can smell it
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/05/09 05:37 PM

Quote:

Win or lose TUF, I guarantee we will see kimbo vs Lesnar by the end of 2010 - thats what Dana is manouvering for, I can smell it

Lesnar? They'll have to fight from Lesnar's hospital room, which is where Shane Carwin is going to put him when they eventually fight.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/05/09 05:48 PM

Quote:

Lesnar? They'll have to fight from Lesnar's hospital room, which is where Shane Carwin is going to put him when they eventually fight.

Thats what they said about Heath Herring

To be honest, the Lesnar vs Kimbo scenario becomes even more likely if Lesnar loses the championship anyway - means that White can put on a 'creature feature' headline PPV, without any need to put his championships on the line- it becomes a 'money for nothing' situation, and he loves that

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/05/09 05:50 PM

Cord -

Quote:

I think that Dana is desperate to get kimbo into the UFC, but can't go back on his emphatic dismissal of him 2 years ago.

I'm not sure that desperate is the right word, but Dana sees a win/win for himself. Bringing Kimbo in the UFC through TUF allows Dana to bask in the ratings glow that KS will certainly produce, whilst retaining the aura of integrity by making him fight his way through the house. If Kimbo fails, Dana says "I told you so", per his comments earlier. If he makes it, Dana gets $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ having Kimbo viewed as a now legit MMA fighter.

Kimbo also gets a fair shot to make a legit MMA legacy for himself, and the chance to get a serious contract with the UFC. Not a bad deal.

Med -

Quote:

Carwin most certainly will be no cakewalk for Lesnar. This assumes that Lesnar is out of the hospital from whatever Frank Mir does to him at UFC 101.

Re: Kimbo Slice joins TUF 10 - 06/05/09 06:04 PM

Quote:

Bringing Kimbo in the UFC through TUF allows Dana to bask in the ratings glow that KS will certainly produce, whilst retaining the aura of integrity by making him fight his way through the house. If Kimbo fails, Dana says "I told you so", per his comments earlier. If he makes it, Dana gets $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ having Kimbo viewed as a now legit MMA fighter.

I think the 'drama' in this series of TUF, will centre around Dana's opinion of Kimbo. There will be the 1 on 1's where he says 'you have to prove to me that you are an MMaist etc etc'.
I guarantee that, whatever point in the show Kimbo gets elimenated, we will get a soundbite from White saying 'wow, was I wrong about that guy- he has shown heart, dedication, and great potential ...' which will lead to Kimbo getting into the octagon regardless of his success in the show.
And why not? Chris Leben lost twice and spent the rest of the time crying or vandalising. If he can fight in the UFC, then Slice can too.