I know it's a video game...but wow

Posted by: karatemaiden

I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/24/09 09:31 PM

not sure if this is the right place to post this, but has anyone played the demo of UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED yet? I just downloaded the free demo on PS3 this morning and haven't been able to put it down. The graphics are unbelievably realistic and they employ so many fighting techniques from the stand up and ground games, it's really incredible. The demo you can only play Liddell vs Shogun Rua, but you get a good idea of the depth of the game. There will be over 80 fighters in the full version - I'm really impressed and will certainly buy it when it comes out.

Here's a video trailer that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about

UFC Undisputed - ground game
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/25/09 10:00 AM

It looks really good. Hopefully it will be better then the old UFC games.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/25/09 01:51 PM

I downloaded it yesterday afternoon and played it last night. I went through the tutorial first to understand the moves but there is A LOT and even trying to play the game it was difficult and will certainly take some time getting used to.

I haven't got the hang of it; only played it 3 hours but will certainly be on it again so when the game comes out in May I will be more versed at it. I can't wait to create my own character in my likeness and going through the career and getting to fight all of these people. I looked at the list of fighters a while back and am very excited especially since my home town boy Jason MacDonald is in the game as well. This game is going to ROCK.
Posted by: Cord

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 01:39 PM

Quote:

I can't wait to create my own character in my likeness.

Oh, come May 19th, your online a$$ is mine

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 01:51 PM

My buddy and I got together and went head to head; it was awesome.

I like that each character reacts differently and has different skill sets. That if you are a grappler that your grappling skills are better then a non grappler. That if you are a striker your striking skills are better then a non striker. I like that they took all of this into account when designing this.

My buddy and I stepped away from the striking game and went to grappling only to test things out. Rua having a grappling background was much better on the ground and could easily reverse Chuck. Rua also could perform submissions better and his success rate was much higher. Chuck I would get to stand up much easier; as that is what Chuck does.

There is so much I have to learn because even going through the Tutorial twice, there are things I just cannot retain for memory and then you have to take into account the fighter you select because one fighters controls are not necessarily the same for the other. Just like when my buddy was playing Rua, he could drop to his back from a standing point where as I couldn't with Chuck. I thought it was me so when we switched things up I could drop Rua on demand to the ground whereas my buddy couldn't with Chuck either.

It is a good game and I look forward to trying other fighters to see their differences; strengths and weaknesses. I cannot wait to create my own character with the skills I have. And I look forward to the challenge Cord; you are on.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 02:07 PM

PLayed the demo with my wife (I was Chuck), totaly neglected to mention there was a tutorial, and sent her in 'blind' (how mean am I? ) all went according to plan, and a couple of big overhand rights later, Rua is on his back. I moved in for a bit of G n P, and before I knew it, was tapping to a kimura!!!
Turns out she had been playing the demo all day and not told me.
I got served. I love that woman

I seriously think that there is scope for a FA.com online community - imagine using the game to settle flame-wars!? Too much fun

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 03:01 PM

I belong to a online gaming community where a bunch of mature gamers get together to get away from all of the idiot people online. Of course mature gamers doesn't mean we don't act like idiots ourselves, but it is most definitely in a better atmosphere than randoms online. Mostly guys but a few girls as well.

We set up days we play certain games and also have challenges set up where prizes can be won. Currently made it to the final table for a UNO tournament. Plus they have a quirky challenge where the winner is sent a green hat that they must use as an avatar; usually done through FPS games. Good bunch of people and why I am into XBox 360 so big. And this game is already on the table and have had challenges sent when it comes out.

In this game however the submissions I find hard; unless your opponent doesn't defend and then it is too late. Or your opponent is very tired. Against the computer I'm finding it difficult to get submissions once I apply them; tapping those buttons like no tomorrow. Will take more practice and finis.

Good on your wife Cord.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 04:03 PM

well, I'm definitely not a mature gamer, probably fall in the category of random idiot online .

I'm looking for more tips to try and get better at this game. the tutorial is good but have a really hard time trying to work any submissions.

I saw this tip video online that was pretty cool for striking.

MySpace TV - UFC Undisputed stand up tutorial

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 04:18 PM

I have found that, for submissions ans shoot attempts, it is more effective to rotate the right thumbstick than tap the strike buttons. Shouldnt make a difference, but it seems to.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 05:37 PM

I will try that Cord. I can get the submission started but then getting the actual submission itself very difficult. Once I can get this down then this game will increase in quality for me; and I'm already loving it.
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 05:55 PM

awesome.... there was something very gratifying about throwing a flying knee to chuck's face and following it with a combo ending in a head kick that knocked him out cold.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 06:09 PM

I have got to try to figure out how to do this submission from the standing; WOW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZDm0K4k6VQ&feature=related

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/27/09 06:26 PM

that was sick. I need to get better at submissions. I also have trouble transferring to the mount from side control.
Posted by: motobusmonkey

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/28/09 03:54 AM

My thumbs are on !!! I have been playing this demo like crazy. I think I have everything down except finishing submissions. I really like how the pause/action commands screen adjusts to whatever position you are in. Makes it much easier to learn the moves.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/28/09 03:28 PM

In case you haven't checked it out, here is the fighter roster for the full-game coming out on May 19 that I found on ufcundisputed.com. Sick site by the way, with alot of good tips in the community section.

Heavyweights: Andrei Arlovski, Mark Coleman, Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Gabriel Gonzaga, Antoni Hardonk, Heath Herring, Cheick Kongo, Brock Lesnar, Justin McCully, Frank Mir, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Eddie Sanchez, Tim Sylvia, Cain Velasquez, Brandon Vera (LHW) and Fabricio Werdum

Light heavyweights: Houston Alexander, Ryan Bader (downloadable character available exclusively through GameStop), Tim Boetsch, Stephan Bonnar, Rashad Evans, Wilson Gouveia (MW), Forrest Griffin, James Irvin, Quinton Jackson, Keith Jardine, Chuck Liddell, Lyoto Machida, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Tito Ortiz, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, Thiago Silva and Wanderlei Silva

Middleweights: Ricardo Almeida, Michael Bisping (LHW), Kendall Grove, Rich Franklin (LHW), Dan Henderson (LHW), Martin Kampmann (WW), Chris Leben, Thales Leites, Jason MacDonald, Demian Maia, Nate Marquardt, Drew McFedries, Yushin Okami, Amir Sadollah (WW), Anderson Silva (LHW) and Evan Tanner

Welterweights: Thiago Alves, Matt Arroyo, Kyle Bradley, Josh Burkman, Marcus Davis, Jon Fitch, Matt Hughes, Anthony Johnson, Josh Koscheck, Chris Lytle, Karo Parisyan, Diego Sanchez, Ben Saunders, Matt Serra (LW), Georges St. Pierre and Mike Swick (MW)

Lightweights: Mark Bocek, Rich Clementi, Mac Danzig, Nathan Diaz, Frankie Edgar, Efrain Escudero (downloadable character available exclusively through GameStop), Spencer Fisher, Kenny Florian, Hermes Franca, Tyson Griffin, Roger Huerta, Joe Lauzon, Gray Maynard, B.J. Penn (WW), Sean Sherk (WW), Joe Stevenson and Thiago Tavares

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/28/09 05:46 PM

I read this before but I'm still salivating.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/28/09 06:04 PM

Wow, that puts the fighter list for FNR 3 to shame. Haven't looked at round 4, but dang, that list is sexxxxxxxy

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/28/09 07:14 PM

Agreed. That is way more fighters than I could have hoped for. I dont think I will even buy FNR4. Come on May 19th!

Still can't figure out these submissions though

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/28/09 09:02 PM

I know - how many hours of our lives will be spent trying out each and every one of these fighters, in different matches, etc. I mean, no matter who it is, I don't see why you wouldn't want to try them out at least once or more.

a few of my fave matches to look forward to:

Huerta vs Griffin (where's Clay Guida?)
Axe Murd vs Rampage
Forrest v Bonnar
Machida vs anyone
um...I give up, there's too many

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 02:17 AM

On Experienced I got Chuck into the standing armbar but could not finish it. Submission attempt after submission attempt I cannot get them. I think when you play the real game it may be different; who knows.
Posted by: harlan

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 09:53 AM

I suppose no one here realizes the difference anymore between media games about grappling and the real thing...or else this thread would be moved to a different forum.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 10:31 AM

harlan, why must you be such a tremendous [censored] at all times. Seriously, just go away.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 10:37 AM

boo hoo....lol!
Posted by: Aesir

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 10:45 AM

The game is still relevant to grappling. Anyway anyone got a submission on Expert yet? It seems impossible, Chuck has super human submission defence which is the only thing I dislike about this game. I can submit Shogun with Chuck who is supposed to be a better grappler..

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 04:52 PM

found some 411 on the create-your-own-fighter - sounds fun:

-Personal Details: name and nickname, hometown, fighting location and age (age has no impact on stamina/strength)
-Aesthetics: height and weight in proportion, skin tone, hair type, head and brow size, eyes and nose, cheeks and mouth, tattoos, fight clothing style (including brands as you unlock in career mode)
-Fighting Style: One Standing/Striking style (boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai), One Ground style (wrestling, BJJ or Judo)

POINTS: You are given a limited amount of “skill points,” that can be spread out through many different fight styles to give your fighter more dimension. No player can be created with maximized ratings for every category. Using all your “skill points” on your fighters striking will detriment his ground game. You'll also get points to allocate to your strength, speed, and cardio performance.

TRAINERS: Choose from two boot-camp trainers. Mike offers you a five-point bonus to your standing game, whereas Antoine will improve your ground game by the same amount.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 05:20 PM

Quote:

I suppose no one here realizes the difference anymore between media games about grappling and the real thing...or else this thread would be moved to a different forum.

The title of this tread says it all, "I know it's a video game...but wow". It is Grappling/MMA related and it has the interest of the people in this section of the forum and they wish to share it.

Harlan, you have absolutely no business what so ever to pop your head in here to make such comments. For one you have zero skills in grappling or MMA so why visit this forum at all? For another you have over and over said you were done with this place. You have become everything you said you hated and more. You are nothing but a troll now. For somebody that I liked for years you've totally destroyed that over the past while and the little respect I was still holding for you has diminished. Why don't you take your own advise and leave. Take your moodiness and feel sorry for yourself attitude with you as well!

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/29/09 09:33 PM

And you have absolutely no basis to whine, 'you don't do XXX, so you can't talk about it.' In case you have become completely blinded...half the BS that occurred was because certain bigmouth know it alls, who didn't even DO karate, were constantly in the karate and kata forums.

didn't hear you complaining about your friends doing it then, so don't be such a hypocrite.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 01:12 AM

Harlan, you have sidelined this thread; go away. And for the record, I've never done Karate so I don't visit that forum so have no clue what transpired nor do I care. Take a hint, you are not wanted here! You want to do your sobbing, whining, bickering and beyotch fest; do it in your own life instead of using this for an escape. If you can find happiness in your real life perhaps you can find it here as well. Until then you are destroying more bridges.

And I am glad I do have friends here; can you say the same?

My apology to the people of the Grappling/MMA Forum for harlan's outbursts and my retaliations.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 01:14 AM

Back on topic of this thread; gave it a go tonight on Advanced and out of perhaps 12 fights I only won once against Chuck as Rua. And I did that by knock out as I could not finish him on the ground. Submission after submission and still couldn't put him away even when I brutalized his legs for two full rounds.

This is going to be a tough game and a huge learning curve.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 02:31 AM

what is really impressing me as I play, especially in regards to the stand up clinch aspect, is how strikes are used to cause reaction in your oponent, from which you can then captitalise - what is very clear, is that the developers have spent a great deal of time with skilled/knowledgable MMAers/coaches, and have broken down the principles/concepts behind every range inherent to the sport. Quite often the gameplay, when your character dominates, looks remarkably like a Couture or Rutten instructional clip on youtube.

Not saying that the game has any training application per se, but on this evidence, I dont think anything that demonstrates the principles and possibilities of an art can do any harm.

Or maybe I am just humouring Harlan's query in regards to this threads placement?

Virtual MMA may be as close as any grapplers on here get to doing kata
Posted by: BrianS

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 03:24 AM

Quote:

Harlan, you have sidelined this thread; go away. And for the record, I've never done Karate so I don't visit that forum so have no clue what transpired nor do I care. Take a hint, you are not wanted here! You want to do your sobbing, whining, bickering and beyotch fest; do it in your own life instead of using this for an escape. If you can find happiness in your real life perhaps you can find it here as well. Until then you are destroying more bridges.

And I am glad I do have friends here; can you say the same?

My apology to the people of the Grappling/MMA Forum for harlan's outbursts and my retaliations.

I am harlans friend.

It's kind of silly when I see a post and then an apology about the post....all in the same post.

I'd like to see a good karate video game, but I don't play video games anyway.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 07:49 AM

I am managing to continually win on expert now with knockouts and submissions. I would say I have played the game for under 3 hours. So I hope that they maybe increase the difficulty somewhat on the real release. I also dislike that the most technical part of the game is a button bash fest. That is the one thing I really hate.

Ironically I have only managed submissions on expert. But I think they have made it more technical the harder the difficulty setting. I mean Chuck and Rua both produce much more complex combos, counters and reversals on the harder difficulty settins but in the same way they give you more opportunites to counter there moves so you can have a more spectacular finish if you will. Anyone else found this?

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 07:56 AM

Quote:

I'd like to see a good karate video game

Why have 1 when you can have 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4bxy3cL90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UEtqHpzJI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAjObaTqzA
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 11:51 AM

I saw this thread when it was first posted, and didn't move it to General Talk, because it certainly does have to do with Grappling/MMA. That was my decision, and I stand by it.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 11:52 AM

I thought Aesir responded right off with an intelligent rationale pages ago. Too bad other hotheads had to go off and make it personal.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 01:10 PM

I agree. Some people have a personal vendetta or their own ulterior motives to come into this thread other then what the thread was intended and who it was attended for. If you aren't contributing then your views are not required nor wanted.

Thank you ZZ for responding.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 01:34 PM

Quote:

If you aren't contributing then your views are not required nor wanted.

I agree with this completely! If people aren't happy about certain threads, it's their choice not to READ them to begin with. Unfortunately, many people don't choose that option when probably they should.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 01:38 PM

There is the ignore button...feel free. And to quote you...that is just the way I am. I don't feel the need to sugarcoat things, especially after being harrassed. Have a nice day.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...0b1ccecfd317e4e

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 05:37 PM

I finally managed a sub on expert last night. Shogun wins by armbar late in the third. Of course, I had to beat him down well past the point of an easy KO and attempt sub after sub. I hope it is just the matchup on the demo that makes it so hard.

Aesir, you must have tremendous gaming skills! I really hate to admit it, but I must have already put in 15+ hours on this demo. I can win consistently on all levels other than expert, but on expert it is about 3 to 1, Chuck keeps landing one punch KO's out of the blue.

Now that I got that sub, I can take some time off of the game and get some work done(I really need to work ahead to prepare for the 19th).

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 04/30/09 07:47 PM

Quote:

There is the ignore button...feel free. And to quote you...that is just the way I am. I don't feel the need to sugarcoat things, especially after being harrassed. Have a nice day.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...0b1ccecfd317e4e

'Ignore' is not an option a moderator can take, as you well know.

As for trawling through 6 year old threads, well, I will leave it to you to decide if that is a tad obsessive and OTT, but whatever makes you happy.

Motobusmonkey, I agree with yours, and everyone elses concerns regarding the single player submission situation- lets hope they fine tune the AI before release

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/01/09 04:47 AM

Quote:

I finally managed a sub on expert last night. Shogun wins by armbar late in the third. Of course, I had to beat him down well past the point of an easy KO and attempt sub after sub. I hope it is just the matchup on the demo that makes it so hard.

Aesir, you must have tremendous gaming skills! I really hate to admit it, but I must have already put in 15+ hours on this demo. I can win consistently on all levels other than expert, but on expert it is about 3 to 1, Chuck keeps landing one punch KO's out of the blue.

Now that I got that sub, I can take some time off of the game and get some work done(I really need to work ahead to prepare for the 19th).

Ha I wish lol I just seem to pick this game up pretty easily. I still need to get a rnc and a triangle. I also can't decide whether to order the game on xbox or ps3...decisions decisions.

I also have noticed that whilst I have only had 2 bjj classes since playing the game I think it has helped my skills somewhat in that I can more easily conceptualise in my head what I have to do than I could before. Still got submitted by a blue belt about 3 times last night though..

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/01/09 07:35 AM

Quote:

I also can't decide whether to order the game on xbox or ps3...decisions decisions.

Xbox360!!!! Then we can thowdown on 'live'

Quote:

I also have noticed that whilst I have only had 2 bjj classes since playing the game I think it has helped my skills somewhat in that I can more easily conceptualise in my head what I have to do than I could before.

That was what I was alluding to- the whole thing is like taking control of those step by step instructionals that your instructor goes through to demonstrate a technique.

Quote:

Still got submitted by a blue belt about 3 times last night though..

and yet you can KO Rua. This is why video games will always be better than real life

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/01/09 02:34 PM

Sounds like a cool tourney when down on gamespot - I haven't watched it yet but want to see it to check out the different fighters that aren't in the demo...it's a welter tourney and they include BJ as a 170-er...

http://community.ufcundisputed.com/blog-post/undisputed-takes-over-gamespotcom

• B.J. Penn
• Georges St-Pierre
• Matt Serra
• Mike Swick
• Diego Sanchez
• Josh Koscheck
• Matt Hughes
• Karo Parisyan
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/01/09 03:26 PM

I finally tried the demo last night. I'm very impressed with the depth of the control scheme, though it will take some getting used to.

I can't wait to build my character, and see him knock the snot out of Chris Leben.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/01/09 06:13 PM

Quote:

I can't wait to build my character, and see him knock the snot out of Chris Leben.

Oh damn! I hadnt even considered all the wish fullfillment possibilities - Leben and Tito are getting systematic beatings from 'Cord', in much the same way as i found nothing more relaxing on Def Jam:Fight for NY, than throwing Sean Paul under a train, again, and again, and again......

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/19/09 09:36 AM

Today!! I'm just waiting for Gamestop to open.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/19/09 12:33 PM

sweet..I just bought my copy..i can't play it til friday though..:(

Who has the PS3 too so we can kick online butt..:)

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/19/09 02:20 PM

Quote:

sweet..I just bought my copy..i can't play it til friday though..:(

Who has the PS3 too so we can kick online butt..:)

Bah! not released till Friday in the UK, but even then, I will be on xbox360.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/19/09 02:55 PM

Ya also get a free copy of UFC 94 (i believe) and poster. Of course where we went they didn't have them yet.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/19/09 04:18 PM

Picked my up at noon today. Sure wish it came out on Friday of last week so I could have played it on the weekend as it was a long weekend; Victoria Day. Will try to get on tonight to rock this thing out.

Cord, when you get yours let me know who is on your cover. For us in Canada it is GSP. In the US it is Forest Griffin. Heard it might be Bisping for the UK.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/19/09 11:43 PM

We get a long weekend this weekend. (Memorial Weekend)

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/21/09 02:57 PM

Started the career and am 5-0 on Advanced so far. I'm fighting in the Middle Weight and just beat Jason MacDonald; my home town boy. Kampman is next for my fights.

I made my character looks as close to me as I could using a mirror to help. Height at 5'9" and though I weigh around 200 lbs I know I could cut to 185.

I'm still learning the controls; much more difficult to play people on line then in the actual career mode. I've played some people I know and I have only won about 1/3 of the fights. Plus there is issues currently online with lag that the developers and/or XBL need to fix and the gamers are letting them know through many web forums.

All and all I'm enjoying this. Sad that Randy Couture is not one of the fighters. Clay Guida is not either because they couldn't do anything for his hair and as he would nut cut it they cut him out of it. Plus they've made all left hand fighters (i.e. Rich Franklin) fight in a traditional right handed stance; don't get that at all. Also what don't get is they have fighters that have been gone from the UFC for a while like Arlovski, Sylvia, Tito, Cro-cop, etc. but they don't have Ken Shamrock plus others.

Having fun though and have played all of the Heavy Weights, most of the Light Weights and most of the Middle Weights; plus a few from the other classes. Career mode taking some getting used to with training, event planning, e-mails, sparring, etc; but over time should get the hang of it as have not done much more then 2-3 hours on it.

Big fun.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/21/09 10:05 PM

Quote:

I know I could cut to 185.

good one mate haha

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/23/09 12:43 PM

Well, I (finally) got my copy today, and its good. Its nowhere near as good as I expected from the demo though.

Gripes:
1. Using 'create a character' is fun, but the programmers definition of a 'very big' tattoo, is way off. Means that I cannot hook my 'mini-me' up with the amount of Ink it would need to be an accurate likeness

2. Career Mode is shaky: load and save and load and save and load and read pointless emails and load and save and fight. Then repeat again and again
It was a terrible mistake not to include training mini-games, and makes your progression very uninvolving.

3. Somewhere between the tutorial and fighting a CPU, the programme seems to decide to ignore all requests for ground game actions. on the demo, I could get the characters to roll, vie for position, and even try submissions. No joy on the finished game so far, though this may be down to my career attributes. We shall see.

I was all set to to give this a 9/10, but with the inertia involved in the career mode, gonna have to drop that to a 7/10.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/23/09 01:06 PM

I agree the career mode sucks, I want to fight not read countless emails.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/25/09 04:42 PM

My biggest problem so far is with the online play. I am tired of beating people only for them to pull the plug on their box and making the match invalid. You would think THQ would have made a patch already. At first I thought it only worked on submissions but it has happened with KO's also.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/25/09 05:00 PM

I don't play online with randoms; only those I have game before with. I have enough people to chose from that I don't have to worry about this.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/25/09 06:07 PM

Been playing 2 player in meatspace, and have to say that this game has now come into its own
Fighting over submissions is hilarious
My career is going better too. My tip, for what its worth, is to work on your sparring more than anything else in training- you get more fights, and the stats you build from the points earned, seem to have more direct influence over your performance that the old strength/speed/cardio.
Posted by: Spade

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/25/09 06:41 PM

Quote:

My biggest problem so far is with the online play. I am tired of beating people only for them to pull the plug on their box and making the match invalid. You would think THQ would have made a patch already. At first I thought it only worked on submissions but it has happened with KO's also.

Yeah, Create a characters are annoying too, I can't do a "quick match" without someone getting a jacked up create a character.
Posted by: muaythaiguy

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/26/09 12:41 AM

I pretty much agree with all of the issues already mentioned. I still really enjoy the game, though. My biggest problem is I should be 4-0 online, but I think my opponents disconnect before the records update. If anyone wants to fight, I'm on PSN. I'm ok with losing, I just want more people to let the records update!!

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/26/09 03:00 PM

Quote:

My tip, for what its worth, is to work on your sparring more than anything else in training- you get more fights, and the stats you build from the points earned, seem to have more direct influence over your performance that the old strength/speed/cardio.

I'm thinking the same thing Cord. While I was working on the others I think fist and foremost if I continue to spar to assign points, when I fill the necessary attributes then I can go back to the training if necessary.

On Advanced I am 16-6 and having a hard time breaking into the top 10 because those guys have all the skills and I only limited skills. I just started lvl 2 of kickboxing and lvl 2 of BJJ. Things I can do with the exhibition characters I cannot do yet with my fighter Decu Las Vegas. Soon hopefully so that I can stop getting beat.

I should have done what the majority of people are doing, play on Beginner. I would already been undefeated and a belt holder and probably retired already. But no, I had to kick it up a few notches. When playing the demo Beginner was too easy. Experienced was okay. Advanced was a challenge. Expert; forget it. But now where Advanced was a challenge, without having the skills it is really a challenge. Well, I never did anything the easy way before so why start.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/26/09 04:28 PM

You wouldnt be undefeated on an easier setting Dereck- your opening stats re. takedown/submission defence, mean that if you come up against a CPU that likes to take it to the ground (and you will), you are pretty much screwed if all you have done is work your 3 conditioning attributes.
It takes tens of sparring sessions, and allocation of skill points to nothing but takedown and submission defence, until your ground game even begins to register, even on default difficulty.

Have to say as well, that so far, I have found it pointless to attempt any submissions. If I go to ground, I am strictly a hammerfist from in the guard guy. Works ok, but I still keep it standing wherever I can - my kickboxing is now level 3, and my grappling is still level 1 !!

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/27/09 12:48 AM

I'm playing right now. I may be addicted. I hate having 84 submission offense, and still not landing a Kimura! Come on, Sherk!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/27/09 09:39 AM

Cord -

Quote:

It takes tens of sparring sessions, and allocation of skill points to nothing but takedown and submission defence, until your ground game even begins to register, even on default difficulty.

Frighteningly close to my real-world experience, LOL.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/27/09 10:20 AM

That is interesting you metion a lag. What game system u got? my bud just told me he noticed one and has the PS3. Where I have the PS3 and did not notice a lag online. hhmmm

he was directly connected and I was going through my wireless..

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/27/09 11:13 AM

My plan was slightly different. I trained speed A LOT, and rely on moving faster than my opponent in less time to either counter or sprawl. My defenses are not fantastic, my character is just fast enough to counter-attack effectively.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/27/09 01:52 PM

I am on XBL (X-Box Live).

I am now 22-8 and just won the title from Anderson Silva in the 4th round by knock out by the way of full mount hammer fists; first time I met him; and that is on Advanced. My title defense is against Bisping; I owe him for an earlier loss but I'm not the same fighter.

When I started it said I was a Mixed Martial Artist. As I am a 3rd level BJJ, it now says I am a BJJ. My kickboxing is only just completed level 1 and working on level 2.

I think I've got most of the submissions figured out. I have already submitted several fighters however never submission of the night or fight of the night. Lots of KO of the night but that's it. Nobody I have met so far can beat me on the ground in Advanced. I was countering everybody and was in full mount a lot. Loved tapping out many guys that had good Jujitsu.

The thing I just found is for many moves or counters; while you are doing one then do the next before the first is done and then it makes it more fluent. In the past I'd wait for one to be done then start the next; this could lead to problems or reversals. Now this doesn't always work but for many it does.

Really enjoying this. Will continue this career before starting another one on another weight class.

Re: I know it's a video game...but wow - 05/28/09 10:10 PM

I definitely need some tips on how to land a submission. I've got 92 sub offense, but I can't seem to get it, no matter what I do. It's getting pretty frustrating. I've been knocking out lightweights for 15 fights straight, and my next title defense is against Kenny Florian. Any tips on winning by submission?