Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98

Posted by: motobusmonkey

Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 03/19/09 05:33 PM

Not exactly recent news, but I am very excited to see this fight!

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=18601

Machida and Evans are both fighters I would never bet against... but If I had to pick, I would go with Machida. I just don't see Evans getting into an effective range against him.

I don't know that Hughes vs. Serra is even a worthwhile fight now. Werent they supposed to fight two or three years ago? I don't see either of them getting another shot at GSP. I think Hughes will beat the snot out of Serra easily, maybe in the first round.

What do you think?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 03/20/09 09:46 AM

Machida/Evans should be a great match, and I am looking forward to it. This despite being very disappointed about not seeing Mir sub Lesnar again, until UFC 100.

Yeah, I think that Hughes will take Serra, too.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 03/20/09 11:05 AM

I'm really looking forward to Machida-Evans, its one of the more interesting title fights to have happened in a long time. The fact is, there are so many unknowns with both fighters that its difficult to make a judgement as to who will win.

I can't pick a winner from Hughes-Serra either. Neither has been exactly active recently, and so they are both completely unknown commodities. What I do know is that Hughes has in the past had great strength and conditioning which is not necessarily still the case, while Serra relies on his jujitsu which will probably be as sharp as ever. Strangely, I find myself leaning towards a Serra victory on the grounds that Hughes comes into the fight with less good conditioning than we're used to and has trouble with his stand-up.

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 03/20/09 02:05 PM

I just feel that the way Hughes dominated Royce Gracie proves that you can't beat him with jits alone, even if that was quite a while ago. What makes you think that his conditioning won't be what it usually is? I can't recall ever seeing Matt Hughes gas out. He doesn't seem like the type to let it go to waste, even more so now that he has his own gym to represent.

What I would really like to see is a Machida vs. Anderson Silva unified title match, but that is about as likely as Fedor vs. Couture.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 03/20/09 05:47 PM

The Machida Vs. Evans fight both are counter fighters could be boring unless one decides to bring it. I like Machida's submission over Evans wrestling but Evans G&P is awesome. Evans hands are more Versitle but Machida standup options are more versitle. I see it as a toss up and a decison.

Hughe vs. Serra On the ground I think Hughes has an advantage. Standing Serra got a heavy right hand but I think Hughe is more versitle standing both are ex-champ, super coaches and overall good people that if they let you get close most like them. Hughe is a future fall of Famer so I'll give him an edge if he don't get knocked out I doubt if he'll get submitted.

Of course theres always the surprise because of a mistake or intense training.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 03/21/09 03:33 AM

My gut tells me Machida and Serra Victories, but my gut has been proven time and again, to know sweet fanny addams about MMA

My reasoning, for what its worth, is that Machida has not only an unorthodox stand up game, but one that works very well, and his ground game is as solid as they come. i see him finding openings that Evans didnt know existed, then lights out.

As for Serra vs Hughes, this is purely based on Hughes's performance against Vera (I think that was his name anyway, hughes's last fight?) where he looked small, pale, and had lost his explosive power. This fight will tell if that was down to chronic overtraining (Rogan was talking adoringly about how Hughes had been training 3 times a day), or if he is shot.
If he can find some gas in the tank,he will win, but if it aint there, he is going to the bar in the first round.

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 03/21/09 08:41 AM

It pains me to say this (as a semi-BJJ guy), but wrestlers seem to out-do more purely BJJ folk in MMA, very often. This is also true in my BJJ class. On this basis, I give Hughes the advantage, albeit a slim one. Serra probably has the better striking, assuming that Hughes isn't over-trained, as Cord noted.
Posted by: Biohazard74

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 05/09/09 02:17 AM

I as well wouldnt bet on the Machida Evans fight. I think its a fight where anything can happen too quickly or go the distance in a boring fight. I like em both but if i did bet id have my nutts in my mouth from begining to end. The Serra Hughes fight id probably have to go with Hughes as Serra is a way smaller guy and less ground game. If they decide to stand though and Hughes doesnt keep him on the ground i think he can get knocked out easy.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Machida to replace Rampage/Frank Mir at UFC98 - 05/09/09 08:37 AM

Machida is on the rise.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Machida to replace ufc98 *spoiler*!!!! - 05/24/09 01:47 AM

Quote:

My reasoning, for what its worth, is that Machida has not only an unorthodox stand up game, but one that works very well, and his ground game is as solid as they come. i see him finding openings that Evans didnt know existed, then lights out.

ATTENTION Fa.com!! Cord has a time machine!!!!!

How many times did machida get hit?

The thing I like best about his style.....*ahem*KARATE is that not only does it win him mma fights,but would keep him alive on the streets as well.

Plus, I'm glad Rashad didn't get the chance to pull drama.

*mattj quits bjj and signs up at tiny tiger's*

man...I'm going to play this karate card to the hilt!!!! ROFL!!!!

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 03:49 AM

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and with the number of wrong predictions I have made, it was inevitable that I would get one right eventually

I did have a feeling about this one through- I think Machida is a fantastic fighter, and Evans, whilst fiercely competetive, to me is way too generic, or 'standardised' to have the depth to deal with anything out of the ordinary in the octagon.

*Cord hugs Brian, cupping his buttocks, then drops into stance and gives him a KO krotty chop 'HIYAA!!!'*

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 06:00 AM

Wow, Machida did very well. I expected Rashad to have a better gameplan than he did- it seemed like he was just backing off the whole fight. When he did come forward, Machida wasn't having any of it. Machida showed how good his striking is for MMA. I don't know what it means for karate, but it certainly shows the effectiveness of Machida's stand-up.

He is going to be a nightmare for anyone else in the division now. If Rashad Evans can't take him down, and nobody can hit him, how the hell do you take him out. I like Quinton Jackson a lot, but I don't know if he has the strategy to figure Machida out. Right now, I can't think of anyone who does.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 10:18 AM

Vids while they last:

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 12:35 PM

Just a fantastic KO. To be able to stand so close, slip so many strikes while delivering your own is a real display of talent.

I always remember being taught the theory that the 'krotty' stance was designed to minimise target area for your oponent, whilst increasing your own mobility etc etc etc. I think machida is the first full contact fighter I have ever seen who has been able to take that theory off of the page, and put it into a fight. Great kicks too

Great stuff.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 05:30 PM

"Welcome to the Machida era". No joke. I think he will be champ for some time. He is the Anderson Silva or GSP of the LHW division. His defense is simply uncanny - great footwork combined with excellent head movement. His attack timing is superb, as well. Too bad he is boring. *pokes Brian*

Machida better watch out for "Bones" Jones - he may be even more unorthodox than Machida is.

Gotta give Rashad some credit, too. That guy has heart - knocked down 3 times, and got back up until the last one.

Props to Matt Hughes, too. A good fight, and Hughes' takedowns were the story, as I thought. Serra did display some great striking, and if that last round had been about 10 seconds longer..........

Anyone that needs a crash course on Ground-and-Pound need only view the Sonnen/Miller fight. Sonnen better work on his defense, though, both striking and grappling. Some close calls there, but once he got top-position, it was all over for Miller.

How about the Sherk/Edgar fight? Some blazing striking from both guys. Sherk was very fast, and strong, but simply wasn't hitting with enough penetration to do damage. Edgar looked awesome, as I remembered him from his fight with Tyson Griffin (which is one of my all time favorite MMA fights - show ANYONE that fight, and they will become an MMA fan).
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 06:09 PM

The interesting thing is Machida is portrayed as utilizing kata training in his fight preparation. Which is something I have heard people say pro fighters don't do and would be foolish to do. Maybe foolish enough to win a world title too.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 07:59 PM

Quote:

The interesting thing is Machida is portrayed as utilizing kata training in his fight preparation. Which is something I have heard people say pro fighters don't do and would be foolish to do. Maybe foolish enough to win a world title too.

Oh yeah!!1 LOL!! Do you know how many people on the internet are eating their words right now?
I am going to play this karate card TO THA HILT!!!!!!

I agree that Machida will hold his title for some time, but eventually, like all othere he will be figured out by someone. I don't have a clue who that someone might be though.

"MattJ wishes he would have applied his kata more*

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/24/09 10:49 PM

Kata. It doesn't take kata to produce what he does. Just a thought.

Anyway, I felt that Machida would win. He did. This IS the Machida era no doubt. Does anyone know if the guy has fought another high level southpaw in MMA so far?

-John
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 12:07 AM

So what if it doesn't take kata to produce his fighting style either it is a part of his training, or it isn't.

No one disputes that you can reach the same place by alternate routes, however I think if part of his training is kata-based, we should take him at his word and not second guess it.

Why second guess how he got his skills? Clearly a part of what he does is traditional Shotokan, and funnily enough it appears to be this difference in his fighting style that is making him such a challenge, you can watch many top level ippon shobu Karate tournaments and see this kind of evasiveness and timing, there is no question that it is that kind of training playing a big part in his wins now...yet still people like to pretend it isn't his Karate, mind boggling.

Basically, he is using his Karate, I find it funny how now so many people are trying to say "well he's not really using his Karate"..when you read interviews with Machida he certainly seems to think his Shotokan is a big part of what he does.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 12:48 AM

I think the key word here is 'part' of what makes up his fighting.
He has definitely kept more of the stylised movement, which normally disappears in full contact competition, (K1 is essentialy a full contact karate tournament, yet Semi Schiltz and many others tend to adapt their karate into a more generic kickboxing guard/footwork), but lets not forget that he is also a pretty accomplished ground fighter as well.

He clearly makes what he does work for him, and I can only imagine Fred Ettish is sat somewhere wondering where he went wrong

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 01:01 AM

Cord, Undeniably true. Obviously a part of what he does is "MMA proper" with the BJJ and MT training I guess you'd say. The point I am making is that the part of his fighting that everyone is raving about, the part of his skillset that sets him apart from everyone he is fighting is unmistakably Karate.

Of course i'm not trying to say that's the sole deciding factor in his wins, obviously he couldn't do this for instance without the comfort of extensive grappling skills, what I am saying is that he IS doing Karate, no question...and it appears to be working.

It even appears to hold up pretty well against the more standard MMA "standup" methods, at least in the way Machida is employing it.

Fred Ettish heh ...a different time I suppose!

People i'm sure will continue to claim that his Karate has nothing to do with his victories, but it certainly seems to be what is setting his style apart right now.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 01:21 AM

Doesn't matter what people are saying or what people think he is doing/using. Even Joe Rogan gives his karate training the majority of the credit!

It does matter what Lyoto Machida says is driving his training and every karate practitioner knows what that is.

Now, don't be a hater. It's not too late to start or return to kata training.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 02:19 AM

Quote:

Kata. It doesn't take kata to produce what he does. Just a thought.

You may be right. However, if Machida is as good as we all believe he is, then why is he doing things that the people who don't train kata have not? It has never been about just doing the kata, but about what kata training can teach an individual. Kata speaks to everyone in a different way, therefore, if I take what I learn and teach it without kata then you may be missing the lessons that only you could have gleamed from the practice. I think Joe Rogan said Machida gets hit only once every 1 or 2 rounds. That stat is ridiculous. Can boxing or muay thai teach you to do that? If it can, then why hasn't it taught ANYONE else to do it too at such a high level of competition? Just a thought. Its not so much about kata training teaching what no other art can, but about all those who discount the training methods of others. All of the guys out there who claim that kata is "useless" will have to reevaluate how they view martial arts training as a whole if they are really honest with themselves in the light of what one karate practitioner has been able to do.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 05:08 AM

Fred Ettish was not a different time, merely a different person. I think we can all agree that it is the person, not the art that makes the difference in such situations, or maybe a combination of the person, and the way the art is trained.

Now before you all start shouting 'MACHIDA IS A KROTTY KATA GUY!!!' , do we know how he intergrates kata/bunkai into his training?

Lets not forget that you can argue that drilling pre-determined combo's on pads and shadow boxing, could both easily be seen as a western art 'kata' in concept. Its all down to application of these tools in training as a whole, as to if they prove effective.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 05:25 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the guy has fought another high level southpaw in MMA so far?

I think he fought Rich Franklin in 2003:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Lyoto-Machida-7513
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 11:51 AM

Edgar/Sherk; fantastic fight. Sherk is becoming one dimensional and guys are now able to pick him apart. Edgar did a fantastic job; props.

Serra/Hughes; I had this as a draw and perhaps even Serra a head by a point at the end.

Machida/Evans; surprised and not surprised. Was a good fight and props to Machida for the big win.

With respect to Machida and the Karate comments. This is "Machida's" style of fighting. We've seen other guys come in with Karate backgrounds (i.e. GSP, Chuck Liddell) who don't fight this way. I've seen Karate guys fight in Karate tournaments and don't fight this way. This is again Machida's fighting style. Karate is a big part of his training and he does it proud but I think what ever art he trained in his style would be similar. We all have our own style; some people just figure it out differently or better; that is what he did.

I don't in anyway give any props to katas. I don't think for once that because he does katas that this is why he did well. As a fighter he fights and trains fighting. He may hold true to his Karate background and may continue to do this but his abilities come from him training to fight and katas is not fighting. If he was given a choice to train fighting or do katas and had to drop one; he wouldn't even have to blink and katas would be gone. Any Karate guy or any other martial artist that has katas/patterns/forms that think otherwise are delusional. Katas effectiveness I think would be no more then I would if he ate a big bowl of Cheerios before the fight.

Again props to Machida. Never been a fan because not to exciting of a fighter but these last two fights have certainly been impressive and I also think he could hold on to this belt. He seems to have the answer to many fighters; whether they are counter fighters or aggressive fighters. Good luck to him.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 12:17 PM

It's not so much about Kata, I have no interest in having that argument with you guys, and you are correct that in isolation kata training would have no effect on a fighter, nevermind that virtually no one (including Machida obviously) trains it in isolation...

However, what Machida is doing is NOT just "Machida's style"...what he is doing is pretty clearly influenced by his years in Shotokan, watch some high level JKA ippon shobu kumite, then come back here and tell me what he is doing is just "his style". With respect Dereck, if you don't see how what he is doing is similar to Shotokan kumite, then you haven't watched alot of good JKA/Shotokan type kumite matches.

It's not just his style, it's pretty classic Karate, to a degree even *gasp* "sport" Karate. I find it nothing less than hilarious watching people come up with all kinds of reasons that his standup skills aren't Karate based...they are.

Ridiculous.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/25/09 12:34 PM

Did you guys see that drill he was doing with the cones and combinations? It was on the pre-fight show. He was basically running a slalom around cones and hitting combos on focus mitts at every angle. I tried it... it is hard!

It fares even better for Machida that his fights will now be 5 rounds. Gives him more time to be "boring" if and when he ever needs it.

-Jeff
Posted by: muaythaiguy

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/27/09 11:39 AM

In every clip I've seen, they always mention Machida came from a Karate background. Joe Rogan seems to love Machida's Karate base. He mentioned it in the pre-fight spots they had prior to UFC98. What most people are probably thinking of are the other Karate competitors who come in and get submitted, KO'd, or GnP'd in round 1. Machida isn't like that at all, clearly. It seems he's really focused on the ability to evade incoming attacks, and counter effectively, rather than running in with a flying bicycle kick. Isn't that what Karate teaches? To not be first to engage, but be the last to strike?
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/27/09 10:19 PM

Quote:

To not be first to engage, but be the last to strike?

thats something thats something thats common in Chinese MA as well...and also in a lot of martial arts in general that take a more defensive look on fighting.

let the other guy come in and throw the first punch and make him regret doing it

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/27/09 10:46 PM

Exactly! It's the fine art of counter-striking. The longer I train, the more I realize how appropriate such a strategy is to "street" fighting.

The one who strikes first often tips their hand. It seems that the one who maintains poise and control, is the one most likely to land the telling shot. How often does Machida do that very thing?!

I love seeing him fight although many criticize him for being boring. But IMO, that's the same sort of "boring" that people originally labeled grapplers with. Once you understand the art involved, it isn't quite as boring as one might think.

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/28/09 01:02 PM

Interesting article here:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/your-kung-fu-actually-is-good-here-17640

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/28/09 01:40 PM

Good find Matt.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 05/28/09 09:55 PM

Here's Machida competing in a Karate tournament in (so the vid says) 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nqbAfzrg-E

Interesting to watch. I've been following Machida for a while now. I posted some video of him a few months back doing what looked like an aikido throw in a full contact match. All in all, a very interesting fighter.

--Chris
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Machida *SPOILER* - 06/01/09 01:25 AM

Quote:

I love seeing him fight although many criticize him for being boring. But IMO, that's the same sort of "boring" that people originally labeled grapplers with. Once you understand the art involved, it isn't quite as boring as one might think.

reminds of a comparison made between Japanese MMA fans and American fans. Americans hate grappling and yell and cheer for one guy to beat the crap out of another guy. Japanese sit quietly and take in the entire fight and each fighter's moves, watching it like a chess match almost.

Lyoto's fighting style is pretty exciting in my eyes

and i great article, MattJ