XFC MMA?

Posted by: specter

XFC MMA? - 02/25/09 05:14 PM

I was checking out this place around my area called XFC Mixed Martial Arts to see if I was interested in joining, and when I went in, the guy at the desk told me to sign a registration form to see if he could set up a one on one class to see if I was interested in joining. I signed the form and filled out the information (mostly just contact information) and the guy seemed cool and told me they'd call me to set up an appointment or something like that. Now, where I'm getting at with this is that I've never had to sign a registration form to set up a class to see if I'm interested in joining, so I'm not sure how to interperet that. It seems XFC MMA is an organized collective of training centers or something like that. I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about XFC Mixed Martial Arts and/or has anything to tell me that they think I should know? I'm just curious, cause if it's an organization, (like a franchise or something) then I'm assuming that it might make a difference in what I should expect the place will be like to train at. I just wanna make sure this place is a legit place to train at and not something to be suspicious of. I haven't actually agreed to start training there or pay for any classes yet, although I DID fill out a registration form with contact information to see if we could set up an appointment, but only to see if I want to join or not. Was that a mistake? I'm hoping I didn't do something stupid by giving them some contact info. The guy I was talking to seemed cool and I DID see them train (the gym was just one big room with no walls, so I could see them train while I was talkin to the guy) and they didn't seem to be inadequate. I have never trained in mixed martial arts (or ANY kind of sport-style martial art) before so I don't know what to expect from the place. (The only martial arts experience I have is in Taekwondo for a few years and Aikido for like, a month, neither of those being like a MMA gym) I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice, information, or input they can give me on this?

Thanks in advance,

-Nate
Posted by: MattJ

Re: XFC MMA? - 02/25/09 05:28 PM

As long as you haven't given them any financial info, you should be OK. I am unfamiliar with XFC, sorry.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: XFC MMA? - 02/25/09 05:33 PM

I have heard of the XFC; they have a branch in Calgary, Alberta. Have seen some of their fighters come to Edmonton, Alberta to fight in the MFC and vise versa. Though I don't hear much from them then again I don't live in the Calgary area.

They seem like a larger organization if you look at their website:

http://www.mmaxfc.com/.

I have no idea if they are even related or just a coincidence. Perhaps they are affiliated with the XFC because I can't see them being allowed to use a copy written name. I have never heard of the interview process but perhaps they do this to weed out people they don't want because they can afford to do that as so many people want to train so they can pick and choose; which isn't a horrible idea if they are related to the XFC and they are geared towards training fighters.

Here is also a XFC Mixed Martial Arts Training website http://www.xfctraining.com/, does any of this look like the place? They show two locations on the left side; are you one of them? It does show Tampa.

Re: XFC MMA? - 02/25/09 06:49 PM

Yeah, I live in Tampa, Florida. You say you've seen their fighters? And they seemed well trained, I'm assuming? Yeah, okay. I think I'll give it a shot.

Re: XFC MMA? - 02/25/09 06:51 PM

Quote:

As long as you haven't given them any financial info, you should be OK. I am unfamiliar with XFC, sorry.

I haven't. If they were to ask for financial information, I would have been too suspicious to fill out the form and would have flat out refused.