UFC 94 Penn vs GSP

Posted by: MattJ

UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 08:53 AM

Let's pick 'em. I'll start:

Georges St-Pierre Vs. BJ Penn - Despite the fact that BJ pretty much beat the crap out of GSP in stand up, I'm thinking that GSP will take it again. GSP should be smart enough to not do another kickboxing match with Penn, and his wrestling is good enough to make that happen.

Lyoto Machida Vs. Thiago Silva - Probably Machida. And while I like Machida's character and skills, he is the MOST boring fighter I think I have ever seen. Remember the fight with Tito?

Stephan Bonnar Vs. Jon Jones - Pulling for Bonnar.

Karo Parisyan Vs. Dong Hyun Kim - Don't know about Kim, but Karo has been very uneven in his MMA career. If Karo's on, he should take it.

Nate Diaz Vs. Clay Guida - Looking forward to this one! I think Diaz will take it, but Clay is a hell of a fighter, too. Should be a very exciting match.

Jon Fitch Vs. Akihiro Gono - I like Fitch here. Too bad what Dana is doing to him now.

Chris Wilson Vs. John Howard - dunno

Jake O'Brien Vs. Christian Wellisch - not sure

Matt Arroyo Vs. Dan Cramer - dunno
Posted by: creative

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 10:50 AM

Can't wait for this event, and can't pick either! Flip a coin!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 11:28 AM

Already have my picks in at ufc.com for their fantasy section. I have selected for my winners of this:

George St. Pierre
Thiago Silva
Stephan Bonnar
Karo Parisyan
Clay Guida
Jon Fitch
Thiago Tavares
John Howard
Christian Wellisch
Matt Arroyo
Posted by: NewJitsu

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 12:10 PM

Quote:

And while I like Machida's character and skills, he is the MOST boring fighter I think I have ever seen. Remember the fight with Tito?

Absolutely. I actually kept flicking over to the News during that fight.

Going with GSP too. Is anyone betting on Penn this time round?

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 01:22 PM

I'm Canadian, I would be kicked out if I even considered Penn. All kidding aside, Penn looked better then he has in a long time in his last fight. He had decent energy and wasn't huffing and puffing or leaning on the ref or his corner people.

I met GSP at one of his training seminars and was a big fan prior and a bigger fan now. That was about a month prior to winning the belt from Matt Hughes. Any ways, he is a superb athlete and trains hard; harder then BJ Penn ever has. While Penn has a chance he is no where near the fighter that GSP is; standing or on the ground. GSP had to work for everything and takes nothing for granted; Penn is a sliver-spooner and has natural talent that he has taken too many things for granted. He'll never obtain the training level that GSP has and why GSP is going to win this.

I honestly don't think this fight should have taken place. Penn should be defending the Lightweight title!

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 01:41 PM

CANADIAN BIAS ALERT! CANADIAN BIAS ALERT!

Quote:

While Penn has a chance he is no where near the fighter that GSP is; standing or on the ground.

While I like GSP, and think he will take this fight (probably by decision), to say that he is better than Penn in stand-up is a big question mark to me. Penn beat GSP's face to a pulp (eyepoke notwithstanding) in their last bout. The only thing that saved GSP was his takedowns.

I think both guys have improved tremendously, and don't expect GSP to be dumb enough to try to stand with Penn this time. It would be a mistake if he did, IMHO.
Posted by: Cord

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 02:59 PM

Penn will look great for 2 minutes, then ok for another 4 minutes, then gas and lose. Its what he does best.

He hasnt got the conditioning to deal with GSP

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 03:04 PM

Yah Matt, listen to Cord. (enter in sticking out tongue here)
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/15/09 04:42 PM

I agree with cord fully. GSP is a maniac and has way too much cardio for Penn to put up with for more than one round. Plus the fact that Penn is going up weight for this fight he is gonna gas even easier.

I have all the same pics for basically the same reasons as Matt. The Guida Diaz fight intrigues me though. I like Diaz a lot and the way he fights, but Guida litereally fights like a caged animal, so really anything can happen there. Pulling for Diaz, but would not put money on that one.
Posted by: Spade

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 01:09 PM

I'm going with BJ on this one.

And whats with all this natural talent hate? I see it more as a focus on technique, vs a focus on athleticism.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 02:52 PM

GSP all the way he is on are roll right now and I think is speed/conditioning will be too much for BJ to handle.

I hope Machida wins I like how he can take any fighter out of there game. But I have to admit I would like him to look to finish more often he can be boring. I am really excited for this match cause I want to see if someone will finally take the fight to Lyoto instead of playing his game.

Nate vs. Clay is going to be epic both fighters have been awesome lately. If Nate wins he should be in the top of the 155ers.

I will be away at a Karate tournament during this fight so I am going to have to find a sports bar or something to watch it. I am not happy about that at all.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 03:46 PM

Has anyone been watching UFC Primetime? It is a week by week update on Penn's and GSP's training. It was on Wednesday for a half an hour and will be on the up and coming Wednesday and then the Wednesday the week of the fight.

This episode Penn I felt was all talk. Had nothing but bad things to say about GSP, GSP said nothing bad. Showed GSP working hard and show a little of Penn working out and now Penn is taking a 5 day break. Dana wasn't happy and called but Penn wouldn't answer his phone so Dana ended up speaking to Penn's brother who lied for him.

They really want you to buy into this fight and are building this more then any other. Penn feels he is going to kill GSP and actually said that and not just funny like. He said it a few time and then said "I'm really going to kill you". Then said that GSP was quitter and that is how he was going to beat him. GSP did not take that too well because he's never quit anything.

I hope Penn gets beat so bad that up and quits or cannot fight anymore and has to give up the Lighweight Title. Penn is an a$$, has been an a$$ and will always be an a$$.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 05:12 PM

I haven't seen it, but it has a real "Good guy vs Bad guy" feel to it, almost too much if you know what I mean.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 05:24 PM

If BJ is in shape, I will go with him. He's got the skills. Stand-up, takedown defense, ground game - all excellent.

Conditioning...the bugaboo.

-John

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 05:48 PM

Quote:

I haven't seen it, but it has a real "Good guy vs Bad guy" feel to it, almost too much if you know what I mean.

Yeah, exactly. BJ is being way too over-the-top for me to take that seriously. Like Frank Mir in TUF, I think BJ is playing it up a bit for the fans. Say it with me, kids:

RATINGS!

JKogas - I don't think there is anyone in MMA that has credible takedown defense against GSP. If he wants you down, you're going down.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 05:58 PM

I don't know. This is one of those where I'd be happy with either one as the victor... I just want to see the fight. I really wanna lean towards BJ's side but I think it's just becuase of all the back story he's had in and out and back into the UFC. But, I'd have a hard time betting $$ against GSP these days. BJ did seem to come in better prepared the last time he fought and if he's built upon that??? Who knows? It could happen. I'd love to see BJ submit GSP in like round 3. But, I wouldn't be surprised if it went exaclty the opposite.

All in all, this should at least be a good show.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 06:15 PM

Quote:

JKogas - I don't think there is anyone in MMA that has credible takedown defense against GSP. If he wants you down, you're going down.

Correct. Remember their last fight in the last 2 rounds; GSP took Penn down at will and dominated him and why he won the fight.

With GSP losing the belt once against Matt Serra I'm sure he doesn't want to go through that again. He will be tactical with Penn and pick him apart slowly and break him down knowing that by the end of round 2 Penn will not have much energy and then I'd be surprised if it went past round 4.

Even though I dislike Penn, and have since day one, I hope he comes prepared and it is a great fight.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/16/09 07:38 PM

Each time GSP took BJ down, he didn't do a whole lot of damage.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/17/09 04:04 AM

Quote:

Read the rules: Takedowns + Control = Points. A decision win is still a win. I dont think it will come to that though, i think GSP by submission after Penn has gassed.

Matt wrote:
Quote:

Yep. Remember Koscheck? - 'no way can he handle my wrestling- he trains wrestling, I am a wrestler...blah blah blah'

Spank. Spank. Spank.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/17/09 07:03 AM

Quote:

I dont think it will come to that though, i think GSP by submission after Penn has gassed.

I think GSP will win, but not by submission- not against Penn. I don't think anyone in mma has even passed Penn's guard, so a submission seems unlikely. If GSP is smart, he will use his superior wrestling to keep Penn on his back immobile, while landing some ground and pound, nothing spectacular, but enough to control the fight and win the decision. If there is anywhere where GSP can end the fight early, it will be on the feet, where GSP's stand-up is becoming underrated. I don't think BJ has got anything to challenge St Pierre on the feet. GSP is too versatile in his striking, whereas Penn's seems to be confined to a good jab and a decent rear hand(I wasn't blown away by his beating of Sherk).

Watch for GSP to sit in Penn's guard for the first couple of rounds while neutralizing Penn's ground game a la Fedor-Nogueira. In the third or fourth round when Penn is gassing, KO for GSP.

Now, I've set myself up for a fall.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/17/09 10:04 AM

Trust me guys, I believe GSP's wrestling is superior to perhaps anyone else.

Of course, Sean Sherk's wrestling should have been superior to BJ's as well. The result was that, Penn's game plan was superior to Sherk's.

I think conditioning will play a huge factor in what happens here. GSP's conditioning is beyond question. Penn's always has been. What hasn't been in question regarding Penn, is his level of talent.

I believe that the edge here definitely belongs to GSP, don't get me wrong. But there are times when you have to take the dog. I'm doing so this time although I believe Penn will probably lose.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/17/09 10:07 AM

Cord -

I don't think BJ is going to get submitted. His jits is too good. Remember, he almost caught GSP in a gogoplata (shin choke), in the previous fight.

Quote:

Quote:

Read the rules: Takedowns + Control = Points. A decision win is still a win.

*pauses to consider Bisping/Hamill fight*

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/17/09 10:22 AM

Quote:

*pauses to consider Bisping/Hamill fight*

Oh wait....is this fight taking place in Canada (or the US)??? These things matter

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/21/09 04:09 PM

I guess not everyone likes playing the villain:

Trouble in paradise? B.J. Penn cuts short "UFC Primetime" taping

Despite solid ratings for Spike TV's first installment of the three-part "UFC Primetime: St. Pierre vs. Penn II" series, at least one participant was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in the piece.

A source close to the show on Tuesday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) B.J. Penn recently shut down a taping and interview session for the series and no longer wants involved in the project.

Penn was apparently unhappy with how he was portrayed in last week's debut of the series, which hypes a Jan. 31 UFC 94 main event fight between the Hawaiian fighter and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre.

Penn, the UFC's current lightweight title-holder, looks to become the first-ever UFC fighter to hold two belts simultaneously when he fights for St. Pierre's title at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

"Primetime," a nearly $2 million project that airs in 30-minute blocks on Wednesdays from Jan. 14-28, follows each fighter as he prepares for the fight.

During the Jan. 14 debut, Penn was sometimes portrayed as a fighter who didn't take his training too seriously – a reputation that's long dogged the 30-year-old fighter.

In the latest taping segment for "Primetime," Penn cut short taping just eight minutes into an interview, the source said.

A message left with Penn's publicity representative wasn't immediately returned.

The second installment of "UFC Primetime" airs tonight at 10 p.m. EST/PST on Spike TV.

Last week's "Primetime" debut scored a scored a 0.73 household rating and had an average audience of 880,000 viewers during its initial run at 10 p.m. EST/PST. An immediate replay that aired at 10:30 p.m. EST/PST scored a 0.53 rating with 614,000 viewers.

It currently ranks as the highest-rated "UFC Countdown" show in UFC and Spike TV history.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/21/09 04:18 PM

I honestly dont know why they try and make fighters in any fight-sport do the whole face/heel hype machine.

We all know that, in the main, after the fight its all 'it was all for the hype, we respect eachother really etc etc', so repeating the same old 'trick' is f*cking tiring- and insulting.

I would prefer a bit of honesty and dignity. Lets not forget that Ali let himself down badly by taking his hype too far with Frazier. To this day, the effect on Joe and his family at the time has meant that he has never forgiven Ali, and I understand that.

The whole thing about fight-sport is that the fight is the truth- thats the whole point, why demean in with all the

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/21/09 05:49 PM

I enjoyed the show and have it set to record again today. Penn does play the heel but he does that himself if you watch it. Probably also didn't like people knowing he was taking 5 days off from his training to putz around.

If anything I hope this kicks him in the pants to train harder and when it comes to the actual fight, then it will be a good fight.

Dana is all about promoting and he has to. If he did not promote the UFC like he is doing then he would not be where he is today and the UFC would have closed down. If you have ever seen the documentary of the UFC they were going to shut down and took one more kick at the cat with the Ultimate Fighter show. It did so well now they have money to boot and realize they must continue to promote this to the people because they want more then just the MMA people. They took pages from the WWE for sure as this is prime pro wrestling tactics; and this Primetime was bang on with this.

We are in a world of people that love reality shows and the UFC has capitalized on it and will continue to do so as long as that gravy train is flowing. They had me before this all transpired as have always been a MMA fan but have peaked my interest more because I do like many reality based shows.

Will be watching tonight after I work out.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/21/09 10:01 PM

Quote:

I enjoyed the show and have it set to record again today. Penn does play the heel but he does that himself if you watch it. Probably also didn't like people knowing he was taking 5 days off from his training to putz around.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/22/09 08:57 AM

Another good episode and a look into the fighters.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/23/09 01:56 PM

Cord wrote - I would prefer a bit of honesty and dignity. Lets not forget that Ali let himself down badly by taking his hype too far with Frazier. To this day, the effect on Joe and his family at the time has meant that he has never forgiven Ali, and I understand that.

The whole thing about fight-sport is that the fight is the truth- thats the whole point, why demean in with all the

456 - Money talks and BS walks but in this case BS makes more money all 3 Ali vs Fraizer fights were money makers and crowd pleasers. If B.J. Penn can get the hype to that point and they pull in the near same type money. This will be a great gain & fight. I think GSP will win he has improved in phases of the game B.J. has too. But this time I don't think that B.j's stand up will out gun GSP's because in almost every defeat GSP has come back avenge it, and he beat BJ last time. The only thing I fear is BJ's guard and his finishing skills once hurt against GSP. Against me I just fear and respect them both .
I like them both and hope both good luck.

This is going to be a great fight BJ may have an advantage in punching power but he is coming up in weight. We will see.

The whole card looks good but this main event is the Best of the Best.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 01/24/09 06:21 AM

im thinking GSP by decision or TKO from ground and pound.

however i never count BJ out

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 08:00 AM

SPOILER ALERT!!

Georges St-Pierre Vs. BJ Penn.

GSP was incredible. BJ defended his takedown attempts brilliantly in Round 1, but only the most biased could have given him a share of the round. GSP already looked stronger, and his stand up was razor sharp. After that, BJ's legendarily suspect conditioning didnt fail to fail him, and, finding himself beaten to the jab every time, and being caught with leg kicks and a sweet superman punch, you could see the dispondency descend on his face like a fog. GSP started to get takedowns in the 2nd, and dominated with some fantastic postional G n P. By the 3rd round GSP was taking BJ down at will, and finding half guard with little trouble. By the end of the 3rd Penn's face was badly marked from a ferocious beating in the last 30 seconds.
Round 4 was difficult to watch- and thats from someone who wanted BJ to get a beating. GSP treated his defence with distain, and, gassed and outclassed, all BJ could do was stay conscious and wriggle a bit to show he was still alive.
As GSP finshed the round he sprang up and punched the cage- never seen him that amped before. BJ looked disoriented, unresponsive, and exhausted, and his corner decided enough was enough and threw the towl.

Wise decision- during the victory announcement BJ collapsed into the arms of his team, and was not available for interview. I think the guy is an overrated d1ck, but I hope he is OK.

GSP is on another level.

Lyoto Machida Vs. Thiago Silva

This was the Machida show, and i would watch a whole series
Awesome strikes, some of the best footwork I have ever seen, and tremendous sweeps from the clinch. Also one of the most decisive G n P KO's ever that will feature in highlight reels for decades to come.

Stephan Bonnar Vs. Jon Jones

Bonnar is tough, no doubt, but he simply didnt know what to do with Jones, and to be fair, on this evidence, I dont know a lot of people who would. Jumping back kicks, suplexes, 'aikido' style 'use the dudes energy against him' throws from the clinch, judo, muay thai. This guy is crazy!! and it all worked- he even tried a leg-scissor takedown at the end of round 2. The only real 'OMG' moment of the card was from Jones as he caught Bonnars foot from a kick, and then spun to close range and elbowed his head sending him face down on the canvas. Anyone else would have been KTFO's at that point, but its a testament to Bonnar's resilience that he saw out the whole fight to lose a clear points decision.

If GSP had not done what he did, this would have been fight of the night.

Karo Parisyan Vs. Dong Hyun Kim

As soon as I knew they were both Judoka, I knew what sort of fight this would be, and I was right. Technical, but from a spectator standpoint, dull. Parisyan deserved the win though- just.

Nate Diaz Vs. Clay Guida

WTF!!!! Where is Garth Never seen Guida before, but he is awesome- like some genetic coctail of Ricky Hatton and Anthony Kiedis. Gotta love his energy, and his tenacity.
Diaz is a prat. Someone needs to tell him that a 13 inch gun show inbetween rounds convinces nobody that he is winning, especially when he is getting his a$$ handed to him every second of the fight bar one punch combo in the 3rd.
Guida is such a wildcard- at one point he had Diaz pinned with a full-nelson!! You could almost hear Diaz thinking 'well this doesnt happen often! ' and then he gave Guida Side control from it.
An eccentric and dominant performance from Guida, who endeared himself to me and everyone in attendance. A popular winner.

We didnt get any of the other undercard fights in the UK sadly.

This was a really good UFC- and GSP is the fuggin' man
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 02/01/09 08:11 AM

Quote:

im thinking GSP by decision or TKO from ground and pound.

i got 79/24000 on the fantasy fight card not bad.

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP *SPOILERS* - 02/01/09 09:03 AM

Vids while they last -

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/

Re: UFC 94 Penn vs GSP - 02/01/09 09:14 AM

Well, I was right AND wrong about the GSP-Penn fight . I thought BJ might be able to give GSP more of a run than he did. He was outclassed. GSP is definitely on another level. GSP is the Fedor of the welterweight class.

BJ really needs to stay at his natural weight. Maybe this time he will stick around 155 for a while.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 10:38 AM

About what I expected. Similar to the first fight, only moreso. GSP is simply amazing - his work ethic and ability to improve is outstanding. BJ did indeed look sharp in the first round, but it was all GSP after that. Fourth round was just an unnecessary beatdown. I do think that if BJ's conditioning ever caught up with his skill, he would be unbeatable.

Lyoto Machida Vs. Thiago Silva

I am starting to come around a bit with Machida. While mantaining his trademark elusiveness, he offered just enough offense to keep from being boring. His accuracy and timing are simply incredible. When he bothers to strike, he hits. A Cord mentioned, the last second KO will be a highlight reel mainstay.

Stephan Bonnar Vs. Jon Jones

I do rate this as fight of the night. Jones will be champion of the light-heavyweight division at some point. Amazing strikes (side kicks! spinning elbows!), combined with outstanding takedowns and wrestling. His momentum-switching takedowns and suplexes in the third round were unbelievable. Credit to Bonnar for his boxing and conditioning. His uppercuts were on the mark every time. And I dare say that if this had been a 5 rounder, Bonnar might have pulled it off - Jones was looking VERY tired by the end.

Karo Parisyan Vs. Dong Hyun Kim

I thought this was a very good fight - Kim looked SUPER-SHARP in the first round. Totally outclassed Karo. Props to Karo for pulling off the win. I am looking for Kim to be a strong force in WW division.

Nate Diaz Vs. Clay Guida

Sadly, didn't see this one. Surprised to read that Nate got dominated in this one - that is what HE has been doing to everyone else. I do like Guida, though. That guy is a machine - insane pace, and he just keeps it up.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 10:52 AM

Quote:

About what I expected. Similar to the first fight, only moreso. GSP is simply amazing - his work ethic and ability to improve is outstanding. BJ did indeed look sharp in the first round, but it was all GSP after that. Fourth round was just an unnecessary beatdown. I do think that if BJ's conditioning ever caught up with his skill, he would be unbeatable.

I think that people forget just how amazingly talented GSP is sometimes when comparing him to Penn. Yes Penn has incredible jujitsu, but GSP has preternatural skill in wrestling and is probably the most athletic MMAist around. His striking is so underrated, when in fact he can stand with almost everybody in the WW division (Not Alves though!!)

Quote:

Sadly, didn't see this one. Surprised to read that Nate got dominated in this one - that is what HE has been doing to everyone else. I do like Guida, though. That guy is a machine - insane pace, and he just keeps it up.

I've been a fan of Guida's for a while. He was unlucky in his brawl with Roger Huerta which was as far as I'm concerned, the fight of the year. His beat-down of Matt Danzig was also incredible to watch. I had Guida to win against Diaz for the simple reason that I saw the first round of Gamburyan-Diaz in the TUF finals. Diaz showed that he finds it difficult to deal with the relentlessness of a smaller but stronger fighter. Mix that with Guida's incredible cardio and you've got Diaz's poison.

Quote:

I am starting to come around a bit with Machida. While mantaining his trademark elusiveness, he offered just enough offense to keep from being boring. His accuracy and timing are simply incredible.

I like Machida for his unorthodox way of fighting- heck, you need some variety in the sport! However, I see him as a pretty one-dimensional fighter who likes to counterattack, almost like Chuck Lidell did, only using a different set of skills. The thing that's so dangerous about him is that even if you're a wrestler who can take Machido down, his Jujitsu is good enough to give anyone fits(a la Sodjoukou). I don't know who will get the next title shot, but I hope it is Mahida, because it's definitely his turn.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 12:15 PM

CONTR4V3RSY!!!!!

http://www.cagepotato.com/bj-penns-camp-...-between-rounds

"B.J. Penn's camp has filed a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over Vaseline that was allegedly rubbed on Georges St. Pierre's back between rounds one and two. UFC president Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that he was aware of the complaint, and said he personally witnessed members of the commission take the Vaseline away from GSP's camp and rebuke them in the Octagon between rounds.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flipping out," said Dana White. They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think."

"The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them. Knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."

White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP.

"If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."

As for what becomes of the complaint now, White said it's out of his hands.

"Who knows. That's up to the commission."

I agree with Dana - vaseline did not win the fight for GSP. Kind of sounds like sour grapes from BJ's camp.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 12:23 PM

GSP didn't have to convince me. To be 5'10 and probably have to cut quite a bit of weight to make welter weight, he's just so freakin huge for that division. BJ looks completely out of his element fighting at that weight against someone of Pierre's caliber.

Guida was his usual, relentless self. I thought Diaz did a decent job, but he was constantly pressed. Guida controlled the pace and action throughout.

What can you say about Machida! He is quickly becoming one of my favorite fighters. I think his influence in this sport will be tremendous, as people discover that you don't have to stand square in front of someone while fighting.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 01:34 PM

GSP vs Penn - I expected exactly this; GSP all over Penn and him not knowing what to do. Penn called GSP a beyotch for tapping in the Serra fight and giving up but who is the beyotch now. By not being able to carry on and having his corner throw in the towel; that is even worse then tapping out. Penn got what he deserved. As for the controversy; I'd expect nothing less then Penn, the big cry baby somebody did me wrong. Now we will never hear the end of this.

Machida vs. Silva - Not what I expected at all and Machida has earned some respect from me.

Bonnar vs. Jones - I don't remember Jones fighting before but WOW. That turning elbow having Bonnar's face bounce off the Matt; was sweet. Hope to see more from him.

Guida vs. Diaz - I honestly thought Guida would do better then he did which in turn made me respect Diaz's game even more. Guida won in my books for aggression but some of the stuff that Diaz was doing was very impressive and he controlled a lot of the fight.

Parisyan vs. Kim - I'm not sure I would have gave that tot Parisyan. Kim was impressive in this fight and I think should have won this.

That is all we got to see. WOW, a ton of Split Decision ... probably one of the longest fight cards with most going to the end.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 02:11 PM

Quote:

Penn called GSP a beyotch for tapping in the Serra fight and giving up but who is the beyotch now.

He specificaly commented that only 'b1tches' tap due to strikes.

I guarantee you that this quote was rattling around his head in the 3rd, and was the only reason he stuck it out for more punishment- he really had no business being there for the 4th.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/01/09 09:07 PM

GSP quite simply, murdered BJ Penn, Penn barley had enough room to breath, much less fight back.

I don't see anyone taking the belt away from GSP in the near future,

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Jon Jones also, that guy was awesome.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 11:22 AM

Man, I better stop watching Penn Fight. This is the second time I have paid to watch him fight and again was disappointed. Maybe I am brining him bad luck. :O

The last time, I can't remember who he fought but he gas'd. I kept hearing how he got a strength and conditioning coach, blah blah blah..So, this time I was ok, lets buy the fight. And again penn disappointed me and seemed to have gas'd. It seems that Penn is more hype than anything.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 01:39 PM

Quote:

It seems that Penn is more hype than anything.

I don't agree with that. He is a dominant lightweight. The real problem for him was that he was fighting a 170lb guy who normally walks around at 185. Little wonder that Penn, who weighed in at 168lb with no need to cut, got manhandled by GSP. Sure, GSP's skill played a big factor too, but if you read the recent Sherdog article, you'll see that Penn's record in the 170lb division is only 1-3 now.

In the lightweight division, Penn is a much more difficult opponent and his brilliant talent and technical grappling skill become apparent. There are few LWs who could beat Penn I think, and I don't think Florian will either.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 01:55 PM

Agreed with Supremor, but I am totally stoked to see Florian vs Penn. That should be a great match. I think Kenny has a good shot against BJ.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 02:12 PM

Quote:

I kept hearing how he got a strength and conditioning coach, blah blah blah..So, this time I was ok, lets buy the fight. And again penn disappointed me and seemed to have gas'd. It seems that Penn is more hype than anything.

Did you see some of his 'conditioning' 'Running rocks' may well have been all the rage amomg his forebares, but its a redundant activity for conditioning: a) being underwater, the weight of the rock is partially supported by the water, so its easier to hold. b) what weight you do take from it is held in front of you, thus making the forward propulsion easier.
The rest of it is just a 'hold your breath' contest.

If he had carried rocks around on land, and done some HIIT swimming drills, he would have been much better prepared.

The thing is that he is still very much a 'Hilo' boy, and that carries with it certain distractions and possibly some negative aspects- its not long since he and his 'bradda' were investigated for beating up a cop.
Add to that hearing every day that you are a prodigy and a natural god made fighting talent, and you have a pretty strong cocktail for making someone do a half a$$ed job in preparation- and it always shows.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 03:06 PM

You see him three times running under water; that is probably all he did. Jogging lightly and talking with who is with him and waving to people; that is not conditioning. No, Penn doesn't have the conditioning that others have and as far as skill; he needs to work on that.

Face it, this guy has talent and he won't work to make talent into a winning formula. Having your own gym where you are the top guy will never win for you because you are not being challenged; after a while your training gets stagnant. He is the top dog in his family and his brothers are not going to do anything to tick him off plus they are star struck with him. Time for him to train elsewhere more often and get a different crew.

Florian definitely has a good chance; an excellent chance. He constantly improves and is going to be more then a match for Penn; especially since Penn now mentally has this loss to deal with; especially after his mouth couldn't cash the cheque. I wouldn't doubt Florian goes and trains with GSP.

I'm backing Florian on the next fight.

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 04:58 PM

Quote:

The real problem for him was that he was fighting a 170lb guy who normally walks around at 185. Little wonder that Penn, who weighed in at 168lb with no need to cut, got manhandled by GSP. Sure, GSP's skill played a big factor too, but if you read the recent Sherdog article, you'll see that Penn's record in the 170lb division is only 1-3 now.

Exactly. While taking nothing away from GSP, he was much bigger than Penn. If you don't have to cut weight, you're probably in the wrong division.

Quote:

In the lightweight division, Penn is a much more difficult opponent and his brilliant talent and technical grappling skill become apparent. There are few LWs who could beat Penn I think, and I don't think Florian will either.

I think Penn will continue to be a dominant force at light weight, although Florian has as good a chance against him as anyone. I look for a decision win in favor of Penn.
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 09:29 PM

always seems to be one of these after a big fight......

Gsp Vasoline Cheater

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/02/09 10:17 PM

I just read that link; plus many of the other comments people wrote. Vaseline or no Vaseline; BJ Penn was out performed and dominated by a better fighter stand-up and on the ground. Even if they were the exact same weight of the fight the outcome would have been the same.

I just watched the video for the 2nd time since the fight and yes I see the rubbing as indicated but was there really enough to make that much of a difference? And the Athletic Commission made them wipe him down and did so themselves. I've seen them come in before to wipe Vaseline from fighters heads before as well; that is their job. And let it be known, at any point THEY could have stopped the fight if they thought it should have been; as that is their job as well. They let it continue as not seeing a need to stop and the fight stands AS IS; a win for GSP because nobody can take that away from him; not even this crap that the Penns and the Penn huggers are trying to do.

Penn, you got beat and you quit ... you are a beyotch. Face it, your natural talent is not enough to win ... try training for once and really put some heart into it; you slacker!
Posted by: JasonM

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/03/09 08:43 AM

hahha...i second those comments.

My boy was at the fight. He said the Canadians dogged Penn BAAD..I heard they also talked mad chit on this website..

My friend also said the Canadians were in full force.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/03/09 11:42 AM

I thought it was going to be a closer fight but GSP dominated B.J. even at that I noted that BJ has some great defensive tactics on his back. Espeically that from his back knee pick up to standing damn that guys flexible. But GSP was relentless even though BJ is a great lightweight is mouth overloaded his a$$ in this fight. A prime example of a good big man beating down a good smaller man. Vaseoline or no grease BJ never got his knee over his shoulder and took a beating. He still a great champ at lightweight.

Machido damn he's the man Silva can Knock you the F O, but not this time. Maybe not a style thats always a crowd pleaser but very technical those outter reaps were awesome and lead to the KO.

Bonner a man recovering from that elbow after the kick counter sometimes you gain more respect in a lose then in a decision victory his boxing almost saved the day. But the wrestlers ability to do trad sweeps and kicks along with greco throws took the fight for him.

Great card!!!

Re: UFC 94 SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!!SPOILERS!! - 02/07/09 09:35 AM

Source: bjpenn.com

“For the past several days I have been reading statements made by St. Pierre and Greg Jackson about our fight on January 31. St. Pierre claims that he is ‘not a cheater’ and that he and Greg Jackson will have ‘no problem with a rematch in the summer of 2009.’ To the untrained eye the grease might not look like much, but every grappler knows the effect that it has. Being able to apply your submissions and sweeps or just being able to hold on to your opponent to defend yourself from being hit is absolutely critical! There is a reason why you are not allowed to put grease anywhere on your body except for the area around your eyes. Because of the grease applied to St.Pierre’s Body the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s executive director, Keith Kizer has stated that the Penn-St. Pierre fight ‘definitely wasn’t fair.’ I hereby accept George St. Pierre and Greg Jackson’s challenge for a fight in the summer 2009. Lets call Dana now and set it up.”

So there you go...