Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch'

Posted by: creative

Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 07:32 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7775062.stm

More than just a fabricated story, but I don't know if it will happen any time soon. would be interesting though!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 09:54 AM

From the article:

"Enzo Maccarinelli is interested in leaving boxing and joining the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), according to UFC UK president Marshall Zelaznik. Last week Maccarinelli, a former WBO cruiserweight champion, reportedly said he would be confident of knocking out British UFC star Michael Bisping. "We were contacted by Enzo's representatives about the possibility of Enzo moving over," said Zelaznik.

"But the UFC is not the place for a novice mixed martial arts fighter." The UFC is the world's foremost brand within the sport of mixed martial arts (MMA), with competitors combining boxing, kickboxing, jiu-jitsu, wrestling and other disciplines while fighting in an octagonal "cage".

Last week, the 28-year-old Maccarinelli revealed that discussions had taken place between himself and UFC supremo Dana White. "I'd never rule out putting a pair of the little mitts on and going in the cage," he told The Sun's website. "I do enjoy the UFC and the sport of MMA in general. I'm quite a big follower of it but boxing will always be my number one."

And Zelaznik said the idea of the Welshman appearing in the UFC's reality TV show The Ultimate Fighter, the winner of which is handed a UFC contract, had been "floated".
Enzo would not have the skills that would allow him to succeed in MMA. It would be like a world-class sprinter entering the Decathlon

Marshall Zelaznik, UFC UK president Marshall Zelaznik
However, Zelaznik said Maccarinelli did not possess the "well-rounded skills to be successful in MMA", let alone the tools to beat seasoned mixed martial artist Bisping. Zelaznik said: "Enzo's boxing career speaks for itself - he is very impressive. We were all surprised to learn that Enzo also trained between boxing bouts in both kickboxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which are two of the many skills vital for any well-rounded MMA fighter.

"[But] with no wrestling experience and only keep-fit type training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Thai boxing, he would not have the skills that would allow him to succeed in MMA. "As boxing fans, we would love to one day see Enzo competing in our great sport. But Enzo would really need to focus a lot of energy on the nuances of the MMA ground and striking game before we would ever see that image realised.

"If you understand the sport of MMA, you understand that any boxer, no matter how good, would not be able to effectively compete in the Octagon. It would be like a world-class sprinter entering the decathlon.

"Marcus Davis, one of our top welterweights, was once ranked inside the top 10 light-middleweight boxers in the world and he will tell you boxers in MMA are like fish out of water." Maccarinelli, who lost his WBO crown to David Haye in March, defeated Matthew Ellis on his heavyweight debut on Saturday after a series of cruiserweight opponents pulled out."

That would be interesting to see, but I agree with Zelaznik. Without comparable ground-skills, he would likely get tapped out fairly easily.

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 10:06 AM

Quote:

That would be interesting to see, but I agree with Zelaznik. Without comparable ground-skills, he would likely get tapped out fairly easily.

Sure. If he could learn these skills though it could be another leap forward for the sport.
The sport has been greatly influenced by the many top level wrestlers and ground fighters who have competed, but as yet there have not been any high class pro boxers compete.
Like I say, i think it would be great for the sport if it does happen, but I don't think it will happen for sometime due to boxing being far more lucrative for the fighters than ANY MMA organisation.

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 11:19 AM

From Haye:

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=18082&more=1

Nice to see honest balanced views being put forwards and no 'sport bashing'

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 11:28 AM

Wow:

Quote:

Also, despite always starting on my feet with these guys, I was finding myself taken to the mat eight out of ten times. That gives me a two in ten chance of landing a punch and knocking my MMA opponent out

Telling comment coming from a dedicated striker.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 11:33 AM

I dont know if any posting on here have seen Enzo fight, but to be honest with you, if Chuck can have the career he has had with heavy hands and a good sprawl, then Maccarinelli could do well, with a similar skill set. Not selling MMA short, but Mac has one of ther hardest pound for pound punches in the world, and in 4 onz gloves, he wouldny need to land too many of them.

Not saying he would walk in at the top of the tree, but there are plenty in the UFC who could not hang with him standing up.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 11:57 AM

I really like Maccaranelli- he has some serious power, his knockout of Dominguez- that was a thing of true beauty! However, I think it would be pretty stupid to jump in to mma. Firstly because of the different mechanics and the need to acquire all those other grappling skills. But mainly, it makes no sense financially- mma fighters get paid much worse than boxers, and Maccaranelli isn't going to just jump into the UFC roster.
Posted by: Spade

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 11:59 AM

"But the UFC is not the place for a novice mixed martial arts fighter."

Like...oh say.. Brock Lesnar?

If he trains on how to check a leg kick, and keep on his feet, he'd do just fine.

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/10/08 12:27 PM

Hey, I say.....let 'em all in. As they get whooped, it will increase the profile of MMA.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Maccarinelli 'keen on UFC switch' - 12/11/08 01:45 AM

Quote:

Like...oh say.. Brock Lesnar?

I was thinking the same thing.

-Chris