Some good guys in MMA

Posted by: MattJ

Some good guys in MMA - 11/21/08 01:27 PM

Nice stuff, for once:

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/10/01/mma-f...nch-to-disarm/2

"The veteran mixed martial arts fighter Benji Radach will fight Murilo "Ninja" Rua on Saturday night in the EliteXC: Heat show on CBS. But no matter how well he performs in the cage, he's not going to be able to top what he once did at a restaurant.

Radach was out to eat at a diner in Vancouver when he saw that a man was pointing a gun in the face of the woman behind the counter. So, he says, he walked up to the man and put his MMA experience to use: He grabbed the robber's wrist with one hand and punched him in the face with the other.

Radach tells the story in this interview:

Q: Rumor has it you were involved in a little incident in Vancouver a few years back at an Elmer's Restaurant?

A:Yes, that's not rumor. It's a true deal. A guy came in with a loaded gun and had it against the face of the girl behind the cash register and I was eating breakfast with Dennis Hallman and my girlfriend and her sister. This little girl came up to our table crying about how this guy had a gun and I turn around sure enough this guy had the gun right in the chick's face, cussing and swearing and making a big racket. And I was like "Oh my god, this is really happening." Everyone thinks about what they would do in that situation and there it was, right in front of me.

I just made the quick decision. I saw that he wasn't really paying attention to his surroundings and that he was really focused on the girl in front of him and the general manager to his left. I was about 70 feet off to his right so he wasn't looking. So I was like "Man, I am going to snag this guy." If I could get close to him without him seeing me and shooting me, I knew I could get him. I didn't want to sprint in case he'd hear me so I just aggressively walked up quietly and fast and grabbed the gun out of her face and wrist-locked him to his back and dropped one big right hand and fractured his jaw and knocked him unconscious and moved him off to the side and saved the day.

Now I am just trying to get the footage because it was caught on a surveillance camera. If I can get that, it would be pretty sweet. I think it would be cool for MMA because there are so negative ways in which people try to portray MMA and this is one good thing.

Radach is officially the closest thing MMA has to Jules Winfield and Vincent Vega.

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/11/20/repor...wo-men-wh/#cont

"A story in the Croatian newspaper Slobodna Dalmacija that says the Croatian UFC fighter Goran Reljic risked his life to rescue two men who had crashed their car into the Adriatic Sea.

According to the English translation of the newspaper account that I was provided, Reljic was in bed when he heard the crash, and he jumped out, swam to the car, broke the windshield and pulled the men out. Either the account has been exaggerated a bit or Reljic is a real-life superhero.

Reljic is 8-0 in his pro MMA career, but he pulled out of UFC 90 with a back injury. Apparently it takes more than a bad back to keep Goran Reljic from saving someone's life.

Below, a complete translation of the Croatian article.

Translated by Ivan at Free Fight Videos

UFC fighter Goran Reljic risks own life to rescues two men. A crash that almost killed two young men on the 15th of October at around 3 a.m. could have had disastrous consequences when the two young men, both from Privlaka, spun and crashed into the sea.

Thankfully both men survived, due to the brave actions of Goran Reljic, the Croatian ultimate fighter, who resides in the immediate vicinity of the town in question. When he heard the crash, Goran jumped out of bed, still in his underwear and jumped into the sea.

He swam to the car, proceeded to break the windshield of the vehicle and pull both men to land. Several eyewitness accounts confirm the story and so does Goran, who doesn't want any praise or recognition for the good deed. "The only satisfaction I get is that both young men are alive and healthy, I don't need any praise, I simply did what anyone one would have done in that situation," Reljic said.

Reljic was scheduled to fight on October 25, but a back injury forced him out of his fight with Brazilian Thales Leites. Even with his back injury Reljic did not hesitate to help and rescue the two young man from the sinking car
."