WOW! Randy back in UFC!

Posted by: Supremor

WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/02/08 06:23 PM

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/couture-back-in-ufc-fold-14261

A fight against Lesnar first sounds good, although I think Lesnar is in way over his head with such a well rounded guy like Randy. And a possible 2009 fight with Emelianenko, couldn't get much better for fight fans!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/02/08 08:37 PM

WOW!

Randy will take Lesnar straight to school. Lesnar des not deserve a title shot imo.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/02/08 09:14 PM

Huh. I read that on another MMA site, but didn't believe it. I thought Randy wanted to fight Fedor. I think Randy vs Lesnar would be a tough fight. They are both good wrestlers and good strikers, and Brock is much bigger.

I don't think Brock deserves a title shot this early, either. Let him fight Kongo.

But if I was Randy, I wouldn't take this lightly.
Posted by: Cord

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 04:21 AM

I know Randy if a freak of nature (is he 42 or 43 yrs old now ), but if time catches up with him with Brock 'The deadly big baby' Lesnar gunning for him, that is going to be a painful day's work.

I too, think it ridiculous that Lesnar is getting a shot at this stage in his career, but its all about them dollar-dollar bills y'all
Posted by: medulanet

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 05:04 AM

I don't think its a straight title shot. Its like a tournament. Lesnar-Couture and Nogeria-Mir. The winners of each fight each other for the undisputed title. And the champ fights Fedor. Since Randy is the "Disputed" Heavyweight Champ and Nogeria is the Interim Champ Couture is the 1 seed and Nogeria is the 2 seed. Since Mir beat Lesnar Mir is the 3 seed and Lesnar the 4 seed. If you look at it like this it makes sense. 1 fights 4 and 2 fights 3.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 06:48 AM

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=13

That would make sense,but it's not the case I'm afraid. Atleast,n ot according to this. WTF?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 09:32 AM

No way in hell does Lesnar deserve a title shot with only 1 UFC win and no proven background. Lesnar should fight Kongo first and foremost. Unbelievable.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 09:48 AM

Rights and wrongs aside, it'll definitely be entertaining!
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 10:05 AM

i hope randy can pull this off, in my opinion he is the better wrestler but size and strength can play a big part so we will see. If Brock does win we can expect to see the most cocky pretentious UFC champ in history to date!

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 10:11 AM

Quote:

Due to Couture’s absence, the UFC had crowned Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira its interim heavyweight champion. He is scheduled to defend his interim title against Frank Mir in December. White said that fight would still take place with the winner facing the winner of Couture and Lesnar sometime in 2009 to unify the heavyweight title.

Hmm. So it seems like Med is right. Lesnar could concievably be the overall heavy weight champion in 2 more fights. Still seems a bit too soon IMHO. Lesnar needs to work through some of the other heavyweights to be legit.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 10:14 AM

Quote:

Rights and wrongs aside, it'll definitely be entertaining!

Cha-Ching!!!

Thats the problem isnt it? everyone who thinks this is a bad idea will spread the existance of the fight like wildfire across the net by b1tching about it, and all of us who think it wrong will be glued to our sets to watch it.

Truly, we will get the UFC we deserve.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 10:25 AM

Quote:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=7012&zoneid=13

That would make sense,but it's not the case I'm afraid. Atleast,n ot according to this. WTF?

Umm, Brian, the article actually echos what I stated. Two "champs" defending their titles to eventually crown an unified championship. Read the end of the article you posted. And then if you read the first article White is quoted as referring the the fights as a "heavyweight tournament." I simply explained why the fights were booked in this manner with the seeding.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/03/08 08:06 PM

oh.....

Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/04/08 10:38 AM

Randy's my hero! Awesome! I hope to see a dominant performance like the Ortiz fight.
Posted by: Kravinatrix

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/04/08 12:03 PM

Quote:

If Brock does win we can expect to see the most cocky pretentious UFC champ in history to date!

cant wait he would be an awesome champ like rampage was/is.

Its only Randy its not like he is fighting Kimbo Slice or anything.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/04/08 01:03 PM

Quote:

What do you mean?

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/04/08 01:31 PM

here we go again...

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/04/08 07:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If Brock does win we can expect to see the most cocky pretentious UFC champ in history to date!

cant wait he would be an awesome champ like rampage was/is.

What planet are you living on? He would completely dominate Kimbo.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/05/08 03:25 AM

Quote:

What planet are you living on? He would completely dominate Kimbo.

Are you crazy!? kimbo cant be beat by anyone apart from Mr. T.

I still think the parallels in skill, attributes and history between Kimbo and Lesnar make that one hell of a prospect.

It will be interesting to see what tactic lesnar adopts for the Couture fight- i mean, he is relying on his wrestling pedigree a lot at the moment, and Randy's wrestling achievements must daunt him. Then you look at stand up, and you see just how far Couture has developed with his dirty boxing (the Tim Sylvia fight was a masterclass), and you have to say that Lesnar will only win with the help of father time and a wild swing landing flush.
These things are a real possibility though.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/05/08 06:23 AM

im very pessimistic with this fight, i love randy i just hope he can pull this off at his age. seeing Brock with a title is ridiculous if he gets schooled i will be a happy chappy!

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/05/08 09:13 AM

Me too.
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/05/08 11:02 AM

yea, I would love to see randy dominate lesnar. Makes me nervous at the possibilities of lesnar rising to the tops though.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/05/08 11:59 AM

I would find it hilarious if lesnar won. A professional wrestler, aha. What are you thoughts on how it would make mma look if lesnar won?

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/05/08 12:10 PM

Lesnar was real wrestler before he went "professional".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Lesnar

"Lesnar wrestled at Webster High School in Webster, South Dakota where he managed to have a 33-0 record in his senior year.[14] Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship for his junior and senior years of college; his roommate was fellow professional wrestler Shelton Benjamin who also served as Lesnar's assistant coach.[15] Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999. Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck Junior College which later changed its name to Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.[3] Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106-5 overall in four years of college.[16]"

His striking skills certainly seem to be up to par. What he is lacking is the submission game, but when he gets that, he will be a real force. I don't doubt that he can do it, but the Mir match revealed that weakness needs to be addressed. He doesn't yet deserve a title shot IMHO, but that's not to say that he couldn't do it.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/07/08 01:34 PM

Im aware of lesnars background, i watched the, UFC all access, on him.
What im saying is i would just find it funny to have a one time professional wrestler as champ, i dunno why i just do.

Im behind lesnar for this
Posted by: GansuKid

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/07/08 09:53 PM

Quote:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/couture-back-in-ufc-fold-14261

A fight against Lesnar first sounds good, although I think Lesnar is in way over his head with such a well rounded guy like Randy. And a possible 2009 fight with Emelianenko, couldn't get much better for fight fans!

At 49 I don't think Randy stand much a chance of defeating Lesnar. Lesnar lost that fight with Frank M. because he was unfamilure with leg locks. Up untill that fluke, Lesnar was hammering Frank M. into the mat. I'd like to think he;s smart enouph to patch up those holes in his game. I also don't think he stands much of a chance against Emelianenko. Despite what Dana White want's the public to believe (i.e. Emelianenko is over rated) Emelianenko is just a freak with mad skills...however,.... yes he only fights now about once a year (smart IMO) and yes... he's past his prime...But...He's not 49 as is Randy C (and I'm a big fan of Captin America...but it's time to retire...he should take Chuck L with him and retire.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/07/08 09:56 PM

Randy is 45 not 49. Watch him beat Lesnar. If nothing else his strategy will win. Randy is just a smarter fighter and that's all it takes.
Posted by: Stampede

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/08/08 11:35 AM

How is Lesnar considered the #4 with a single UFC victory? This smack of marketing to me.

And I see White doing something to off the fight with Fedor. Like, for example, insulting Fedor, his camp, his management, and possibly his dog. Wait, that already happened . . .

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/08/08 12:03 PM

Quote:

At 49 I don't think Randy stand much a chance of defeating Lesnar. Lesnar lost that fight with Frank M. because he was unfamilure with leg locks. Up untill that fluke, Lesnar was hammering Frank M. into the mat. I'd like to think he;s smart enouph to patch up those holes in his game.

I completely agree, lesnar was absolutely dominating him until that leg lock. I mean he was completely man handling him !!!

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/08/08 01:13 PM

Quote:

What im saying is i would just find it funny to have a one time professional wrestler as champ, i dunno why i just do.

Its already happened. Ken Shamrock has been an early UFC champ, and also been in the WWE and several pro-wrestling promotions in Japan.

If Lesnar wins, its going to be a through overwhelming physical attributes, and Randy's age catching up with him.
Its worth noting, however, that Couture isnt just some ripped dude looking good for his age- physically he is going to be the strongest guy Lesnar has fought either in 'real' wrestling or the cage, and he has crazy amounts of rounded skills to go with that strength.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/08/08 01:37 PM

Not a fan of Lesnar however there is no denying his physical strength. While Randy would be Lesnar's toughest opponent, Lesnar would be Randy's physically strongest opponent.

Randy can be knocked out; Chuck proved that. I have no doubt that Lesnar hits hard however Herring didn't go down and I don't think Randy will unless he doesn't see it coming. Randy is 10 times the fighter the Herring is even at this age and Herring lasted the whole fight but couldn't deal with Lesnar's strength however Lesnar has no skill to put anybody away other then man handle them and I don't see Randy being man handled. Just like Randy prepared for Tim Silva he will prepare for Lesnar.

Lesnar shouldn't be fighting Randy; Lesnar should be fighting Kongo. 1 win in the UFC, 1 loss in the UFC and 1 win K-1 against a nobody ... that does not equal a championship fight. And not to put Mir down but he's not in his prime and is not the fighter he was before the accident. Lesnar was suppose to win that fight but Mir kept his cool and remember his skills; good job Mir. Herring has not been impressive either and is a mediocre fighter that is only famous for his "No Contest" fight where he knocked the guy out prior to the fight. Randy will be his first real fight and though I have the greatest respect for Randy, expect Randy to win, age does play into this.

The Heavy Weight Division is lacking good fighters and has been for a while. Randy sparked it by winning the title and then it died when he left. Now with Affliction and whatever Randy's involvement, a part of me thinks this is to finish off his career here.

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/08/08 05:03 PM

Quote:

The Heavy Weight Division is lacking good fighters and has been for a while.

This is the same in boxing. It all comes down to money. You get a big strong powerful kid, who shows natural athletic ability, and tell him if he sweats his guts out, and gets punched in the head 200 times in 30 minutes, and does that 4 times a year from the age of 19 to the age of 38, he will, if exceptional, retire with 20 million in the bank.

Now tell him that if he applies his talents to Gridiron, Hockey, Baseball or basketball, he will make that kind of money within 2 pro seasons, and have more from sponsorship, and an off season, and not have to be an 'all time great', just good.
Can you blame them for avoiding the fight game?

Re: WOW! Randy back in UFC! - 09/23/08 03:19 PM

Lesnar
His thick neck really makes it hard for someone to knock him out, Joe Rogan told me.
Whats great about this is if Lesnar loses most wrestling fans wont care. But if Couture loses well... I will be here to sip thine tears of /mma/

This really is of little interest to me now since Rampage Jackson is fighting.