I want to fight Anderson Silva

Posted by: Chen Zen

I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/05/08 07:28 PM

Ive watched alot of his fights. They say he is the best in the world pound for pound. I think they are mistaken though he is quiet good. He seems yto plant his legs firmly, looking for power in his fists and Ive yet to see anyone tryo to clinch and knee/elbow him ala Muay Thai though he has been successful doing so to others. I need sponsors. Ive been back to training very heavily which is why I havent been here much. I believe at 185 I could do it. Any ideas on how I might speed up the process to getting to this event?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/05/08 08:26 PM

You're kidding right? Well first you must have some fights already under your belt to prove you have what it takes to be a top fighter. Then you will need a good promoter with ins with the fighting world and that has the ear of the UFC. Once you've been given a chance and can prove your worth then you can make your way up the line to a title defense.

I don't personally know Jason MacDonald however my Instructor does and I can tell you that Jason is a superb and proven fighter that had to continue to fight in many of the smaller venues before he got to the UFC and that was always his goal. It took years and a lot of training and a lot of sacrifice. For most that will never happen so those that do can count themselves lucky. Good fighter and good promoter and a proven record and perhaps you'll get into the UFC with no guarantee that you will remain there or even get a title shot.

So what is your record Chen?
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 07:22 AM

I thought u just lifted weights anyway, generally the muay thai in america isnt exactly great what camp are you training with? ala elbows are not exactly the easyest thing to land you need to be clinch fighting loads and generally silva is good at that thats why you dont see anyone beating him at it.

If you want to get to the UFC get a good camp with contacts
Miletich
American Top Team
Brazilian Top Team
Team Punishment
Greg Jacksons Camp
MFS
Team Quest

Anything else and your just kidding yourself really, when i started training MMA i went to Legacy Gym Thailand with Ole Baguio Laursen and spent a month there. im not going to compete i just wanted some good training, not only is he a good trainer and fighter but can promote his fighters well. if i was gonna compete K1 or MMA i would live out there for atleast 5-7 months (4-6 hours training a day) to prepare for my first bout then maybe have another fight a month later if i won. you need a good record against good opponants for any of the big promotors to touch you.

anyway planting your feet for good striking is mandatory, if it was a fallback someone would have taken silva down by now he obviously knows what hes doing...
Posted by: shills11

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 07:45 AM

Good luck,
you didnt mention his grappling skills though.
Did you see what he did to Dan Henderson?
I Dont know what you're credentials are, do they compare to his?
Henderson holds victorys over

Vitor Belfort
Antonio Rodrigo Noguera
Wanderli Silva
Carlos Newton
Renato Sobral
Renzo Gracie
Murilo Rua..........

To name a few. Have you fought anyone at this level?

As I said at the begining good luck, at least nobody can say you lack ambition, self belief or confidence.
Posted by: Cord

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 08:03 AM

Quote:

I need sponsors.

OK, I will sponsor you £100 per time you drop him. I would sponsor you £1 per time he drops you, but i dont have that kind of cash

Quote:

Ive been back to training very heavily which is why I havent been here much. I believe at 185 I could do it. Any ideas on how I might speed up the process to getting to this event?

What Tom said. Make the leap and go train with a pro MMA team. Impress them, get used as training partners for their top guys, win on undercards/small promotions, get noticed by Dana. Now you have to not only win on various undercards and spike freeviews, but win with style. Now you will get on the broadcast undercard of a big PPV, and you have to win well and start calling out Sylva inbetween shouting sponsors names down the mic. Rinse, repeat 4 or 5 times, and you will get your chance to be owned by...er I mean, your chance to fight Anderson 'i am a very good Muay Thai fighter and thats why nobody can clinch me that well' Sylva.

Good luck.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 09:28 AM

Cory -

Certainly good to have goals - long term, I have always used top fighters as a reference for where I want my skill to go. Anderson Silva is definitely there!

I do agree with others that the reason you haven't seen anyone "clinch" with Silva is because he's better at that than everyone else he's come up against. And it's not that they haven't tried or weren't good themselves - remember the Dan Henderson fight? Henderson is no slouch in the clinch.

And don't forget that Silva is a black belt in BJJ. Very tough, so pack a lunch. If you can work your way up fighting in local shows, you may indeed get there.

I'm happy to watch in on TV.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 10:17 AM

Well, I havent had the chance to fight any big name fights but Ive gotten a few wins under my belt. I train consistantly and frequently, though its not militich fighting camp. I feel like my striking is on par with his. Im fast, strong and have ko power. And Ive got good footwork. He has me beat on the ground for sure. In the clinch I believe it could go either way, same with the striking. My BJJ has never been my strong point though and I use it instead to gain position for ground and pound most times. Other than that I try chokes, not big on arm bars or ankle locks. Also I would try to cover his mouth alot if we did grapple. Ive got a plan for him, a strategy, but I imagine by the time I do make it, if I do, He may be retired! So anyone heard of Jeff Mullen? He's local, and he's been a UFC juge a time or two.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 11:19 AM

This must be a joke? Maybe you need a reality check. Fighting Anderson Silva would be a hard reality check. We'll have to find out how good you are when we get together. It'll be a while, I'm wounded right now.

First, how would you fair against those he has beaten soundly? Chris Leben, Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, Travis Lutter, James Irvin, etc...? Those guys were proven fighters wih good records and said the same thing,look what happened.

Silva isn't the best fighter out there imo,but one of the top 5!

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 11:49 AM

Quote:

Well, I havent had the chance to fight any big name fights but Ive gotten a few wins under my belt. I train consistantly and frequently, though its not militich fighting camp. I feel like my striking is on par with his. Im fast, strong and have ko power. And Ive got good footwork. He has me beat on the ground for sure. In the clinch I believe it could go either way, same with the striking. My BJJ has never been my strong point though and I use it instead to gain position for ground and pound most times. Other than that I try chokes, not big on arm bars or ankle locks. Also I would try to cover his mouth alot if we did grapple. Ive got a plan for him, a strategy, but I imagine by the time I do make it, if I do, He may be retired! So anyone heard of Jeff Mullen? He's local, and he's been a UFC juge a time or two.

What you have to remember is that a gameplan designed to exploit an oponents weakness is all well and good, but the oponent is looking to enforce his strengths on you.

You sit back and think 'I reckon i am on a par with Sylva in the clinch' and he will be sitting back thinking 'this sucker aint got a ground game other than a bit of GnP and basic chokes'.
Where is he going to take the fight Chen?
Whats he going to do when it gets there?

The great fighters are not perfect or complete- there is no such thing as a the perfect fighter. The great one's, however, manage to dictate their fights and impose their strengths to such an extent that they may as well be perfect as far as the oponent is concerned.

You cant go into the octagon without a real ground game these days- Chuck used to rely on strike and sprawl, but without the added depth, now he has been 'decoded' by Jackson and Jardine, he is no longer the unbeatable beast he was.

The man who 'decodes' Sylva will have to be able to match him on the ground, as well as the clinch- he is one seriously versatile MMAist.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 12:55 PM

Seriously Chen I thought this original post was just a joke. However I see now that you are serious about this. I don't know you other then this forum and you may be one bad a$$ mother however if you are not well known now and seeing as Anderson Silva is the number one champion for the Middle Weight and is a serious threat to the Light Heavy Weight division; I'm just not seeing it.

The thing I've found with MMA fighters is that they have to believe in themselves and after winning fights they start to believe some of the hype. I've had the pleasure of being around a few fighters and I know they have to "mentally" prepare themselves and also I've found with the majority of fighters is they have a different mind set. This I think you are in and I think you have to believe that you can do this; but I think also you need a reality check. Anderson Silva has a highly rounded game and he will capitalize on any weakness and he will beat you ... heck he will beat you at your strength.

Chris Leben - hard hitter, excellent jaw ... knocked the F.U.C.K. out.

Rich Franklin - the champion, solid puncher, great cardio, good stand-up, decent ground game - beat twice and badly

Travis Lutter - phenomenal ground game - tapped out

Nate Marquardt - very well rounded fighter - knocked out

Dan Henderson - phenomenal - fighter; well rounded; excellent wrestler; Pride Champion - choked out

James Irvin - Knock out power - Knocked the F.U.C.K. out

Do you see what I'm getting at. He doesn't just beat people by zeroing in on their weaknesses ... he beats them at their own game. If you really think you can go in with any weakness don't worry, he'll beat you where you think you are strong.

Chen, can you send a link to your MMA record such as through Sherdog? All of our fighters have their records in Sherdog and other fighter sites; the promotion companies submit them. I'd be interested to view yours.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/06/08 08:03 PM

Im glad to have so much support!

The question was asked, how do I think I would fair against the opponents he's beaten. Well, honestly, I feel like the biggest threat would have been Franklin, but mainly due to his experience and long time running with the belt. Also he had good standup. I havent seen him fight since anderson though. Is he still around? I dont know about Sherdog, and the promo that I fought at is pretty small, but I will ask Jeff about it, because they do keep record somewhere. Im not a world class athlete yet. I say yet because I feel like if I had the trainers, time and enviroment that these guys train with, I could be world class. I have a great work ethic, often devoting a minimum of four hours a day weekly and as much as ten a day on the weekends. I know that he has a better ground game so about 70 percent of my training is devoted to that right now. Its not that my ground game isnt solid, I just dont like to fight there. Everyone seems to keep mentioning Dan Henderson. Personally I never really heard of him till he got his ass kicked. Sorry, just not impressed. I knew who Marqardt was, wasnt impressed, and Irvin didnt even deserve the shot at Anderson IMO. I think he got it mainly because his 8 second win. Lutter, whatever. He can wrestle but what else does he really possess? I think that Andersons most dangerous opponent was franklin, and before he beat him, I would have fought franklin given the chance.

Also I wonder how many fights has he had outside of the gym or ring? Ive had plenty, and theres not a person in the world who can say they beat me. Which would give me reason to believe that I would be a more "professional fighter" than someone who has only fought under the constructs of competition despite my short "MMA Career".

Like I said, Jeff has the ear of Dana and the UFC. He likes my fighting, and wants me to join his gym. When he thinks Im ready Im sure he'll throw out the word. Until then Im going to continue my training, continue fighting, and wait for my shot. I gotta go break in my new bag.

Oh yeah, theres a lot of naysayers here, but how many of you fight regularly? And how many of you have a strategy or pointers for the fight? Brian, I meant to ask you also, how goes your personal fight?

One more thing. Im not confident because Ive won some fights or because Im an ego maniac. Instead Im confident because I have destroyed the fear in my heart, and I rest easy at the end of the day knowing that i have done my best, and that tomorrow I can continue to grow and learn. Peace to all.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/07/08 07:09 AM

if your striking is as good as Sylvas why dont you just go into pro standup like K1?

Whats your record Chen? not to sound pesemistic but you could have just fought a bunch of chumps and not differentiate the difference between a world class striker and yourself.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/07/08 07:48 AM

Quote:

Everyone seems to keep mentioning Dan Henderson. Personally I never really heard of him till he got his ass kicked. Sorry, just not impressed.

Dude........not impressed? You have very high standards!

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/dan-henderson-195

Henderson has beaten some extremely tough fighters. Goes, Nogueira, Renzo Gracie, Belfort, Wanderlei......these guys are not chumps by any stretch. You may want to google some of his fights before you write him off.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/07/08 09:38 AM

Quote:

I think that Andersons most dangerous opponent was franklin, and before he beat him, I would have fought franklin given the chance.

Unfortunately I don't agree that Franklin was his most dangerous opponent. I have much respect for Franklin however he got his butt destroyed twice and most certainly I don't think you would be on par with Franklin. Franklin is most certain a talented and dangerous fighter, just ask my homeboy Jason MacDonald. Jason is a talented and proven fighter and he found Franklin extremely tough. As my Instructor trained with him regularly, and he fights MMA as well, I doubt you would be on par with Jason. Jason has proven himself against opponents that both Silva and Franklin have fought. But I could be wrong like I said above.

If that is your dream Chen then good luck to you. Work hard and get it done.

Sherdog and other fight sites do log in smaller venues, take a look for yourself and type in your own name and it then should pull it up. Then link that back here so we can see. It seems like you are hesitant to do this and I question why?

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/07/08 11:14 AM

Maybe you can sign with affliction, they are looking for fighters. As sucky as Tito is, he would wipe the floor with you,lol.

Dan Henderson is a BIG name in mma. I don't see how you are a mma fan and not know who he is,lol. Check him out, he was in mma when mma wasn't cool. BTW, he would demolish you too.

Do some fights on some local shows and let us know how it goes. There are some cagefights every couple of months here in Springdale I'm sure you could get on. I'd be there rooting for you and I'd even help you train if you want. It's not that I don't want you to win because I do,but I think you need a reality check and alot more experience before going for the ufc championship.

How many sanctioned mma fights have you had? (streetfights don't count) Have anything on video?

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/07/08 12:35 PM

Most MMA promotions have websites and they have a sign up page. The fighters our of our gym, well former as it closed down June 30th, they fought for the Maximum Fighting Championship (MFC) and The Fight Club (TFC), and some other smaller venues. While the MFC started small it is big now and has been picked up by HDNET Fights. The Fight Club is a small venue. The owner of the MFC has the ear of Dana and this is where Jason MacDonald started. Other fighters have had spots in the UFC and two more at least will be there.

The King of the Cage (KOTC) has a sign up sheet and they travel around as I've seen a few fights here. Other clubs in my area have had fights in the two I've mentioned plus this one. In fact the club I'm with now has a fight team that has fought in all of these including my Professor.

Sherdog and other sites show all of these as once you are in the MMA world then things are recorded. If you are involved you would be to. Even guys that fought once whether won or lost are recorded. So if you've fought what's up?

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/07/08 03:56 PM

Quote:

Im not a world class athlete yet. I say yet because I feel like if I had the trainers, time and enviroment that these guys train with, I could be world class.

Yeah, and IF's dont put the beans on the table. IF I was 18, had kick ass genetics, top coaching, and massive personal drive, I could be in Beijing competing in my chosen event right now. As it is, I am 34, with no specific sporting agenda or goals, so I will watch on telly like the other 5.99999999999r billion people in the world.

Quote:

I have a great work ethic, often devoting a minimum of four hours a day weekly and as much as ten a day on the weekends

Whoa!! thats a potential 40 hour training week

Most triathaletes wouldnt touch a 40 hour training week as a standard, let alone fighters.
Volume is immaterial, it is specificity and performance that are important. More is not better. Better is better.
Couture's first act when taking on Forrest's training, was to make him rest and spend more time away from training. An overtrained fighter has already defeated himself.
Result? Forrest is now Champ. What did Hughes look like having increased from 2, to 3 training sessions a day? Weak, small, and drained, thats what.

Good training is the quivalent of accurate, strategic sniper shots, not spraying an automatic in hope of a hit.

Quote:

I know that he has a better ground game so about 70 percent of my training is devoted to that right now. Its not that my ground game isnt solid, I just dont like to fight there.

Then, as suggested, why not go into K1- big cash, TV exposure, top level fighters, no ground work. Seems silly to spend 70% of your training life doing something you dont like.

Quote:

Lutter, whatever. He can wrestle but what else does he really possess?

Couldnt we say the same about you in regards to stand up?

Quote:

I would have fought franklin given the chance.

And I would fight Klitchko- what an awesome experience. Dont think I would win though

Quote:

Also I wonder how many fights has he had outside of the gym or ring? Ive had plenty, and theres not a person in the world who can say they beat me. Which would give me reason to believe that I would be a more "professional fighter" than someone who has only fought under the constructs of competition despite my short "MMA Career".

Aw now come on, you simply must be kidding on this one.

How does hitting a kid in the schoolyard, or a drunk in a bar prepare you for top flight MMA competition?
I would take the pepsi challenge with you on real life violence experience, but an internet peeing competition is not worth the paper its printed on.
Lets take a documented example of transition from 'street' to cage.
Kimbo Slice- strong stand up, plenty of bare knuckle KO's against big strong willing oponents. He comes up against Sean Gannon- a cop with some ground and clinch training, and a wealth of real life experience restraining perps.
Kimbo has real big trouble, and loses.
Gannon's notoriety gets him a UFC fight, against a wrestler with basic GnP strength and a journeyman record. Gannon doesnt get beat, he gets owned. Spanked. B*tchslapped. Humiliated. Embarassed.
Kimbo decides 2 things: 1. He wants to move into MMA. 2. His 'street rep' means zip in the cage, and decides to start from scratch and train for the specific envionment and challenges therein.
Result? Kimbo adapts and shows early signs of talent in MMA. This would not have been the case if he had just walked off youtube into the octagon.

Quote:

Like I said, Jeff has the ear of Dana and the UFC. He likes my fighting, and wants me to join his gym.

Great!! do so immediately, and immerse yourself in the MMA world so that should you impress, you are on hand to accept any opertunity given.

Quote:

One more thing. Im not confident because Ive won some fights or because Im an ego maniac.

All athletes have ego- its necessary, or they would not have the drive to beat another. If winning didnt matter to them, they simply wouldnt compete.

Quote:

Instead Im confident because I have destroyed the fear in my heart, and I rest easy at the end of the day knowing that i have done my best, and that tomorrow I can continue to grow and learn.

That is good for the ego, isnt it?
Posted by: Spade

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/07/08 05:54 PM

I believe in you Chen, In fact tomorrow I start training for Fedor, granted he needs to drop to 150 first, but I'm sure if we meet in my weight class, I'll own him.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 06:28 AM

some good posts, just to quote cord on one thing that stuck out at me from reading...

Quote:

Good training is the quivalent of accurate, strategic sniper shots, not spraying an automatic in hope of a hit.

slightly like sylvas fighting style...
Posted by: JasonM

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 09:05 AM

Quote:

Wow! That is an impressive street fighting record. Dand you are the man.

Seriously, stop talking about it and be about it. If that is your dream then go for it and don't let anyone stop you.

If you make it onto UFC and win give a shout out to FA.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 10:41 AM

I believe you can do it too, by the way whats your real name I want to put some Insurance on ya, just in case you don't make it. But hell I'll promote that fight. You can do it I know you can. By the way how tall are you just case,maybe I can save a couple dollars on your casket or maybe we can get ya cremated and put in a nice urn.

I can see that now Andersen Silva Vs. Chen Zen!! What a fight.

I need to decided do I want a Red Porsche 911 Turbo or a Black GTR. Decisons decisons humm. I'm all over this Chen Zen you my man, you can do it if you survive AS we can drop weight and fight GSP. That will be another policy or maybe a side bet but its all for you man, I've got your back. Buddy I want in on that, you can do it!!!

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 11:19 AM

Quote:

I need to decided do I want a Red Porsche 911 Turbo or a Black GTR.

Neko,

I've decided that you are probably hooked on alot of things and phonics isn't one of them.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 12:34 PM

Funny Brian.

Chen, I know that you probably are discouraged with the postings and lack of support however I believe that you approached this the wrong way. You are telling everybody that you could beat Anderson Silva (people please spell it right; the man deserves it) however you yourself are saying you have lack of skills. As well you have little to no experience in the MMA world and it seems like you feel that since you've had street fights that you claim you've never been beaten that that some how relates to fighting in the cage. Plus you have yet shown that you've even had a MMA fight which if you did it would be so simple to proved. Just type your name in Sherdog or any other similar fight site and then link it back here to prove to us that you have a record and have actually had a fight.

I have no problem if people have dreams. If people want to work hard to become something then I am all for it and I would back anybody on that; especially you. However dreams are one thing and reality is another and you may need to wake up. Having little respect for some of the fighters that were beaten by Silva doesn't bode well let alone believing that your level, which we have no clue really what it is, could match Silva. People aren't buying it and neither am I.

Work hard and if you want to get to the UFC then do it. Don't say you fight MMA, actually do it. Go to a good gym and learn. Get on some fight cards with some of the venues in your area. Work hard and prove your worth and then maybe, maybe, you will get the call to to to the UFC, or Affliction and you can work your way to the top and fight the belt holder. Then you can thank the people that trained you, thank your family, thank God for all I care, and then tell the world you did it and [censored] all of the people that didn't believe you.

So what's it going to be?
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 01:21 PM

Chen I haven't ever seen you fight so I can't say at all. But I have seen Silva fight and he is one of the best in the world. Fight in a bigger show or else we can't tell.
Posted by: janxspirit

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 05:10 PM

Quote:

Ive watched alot of his fights. They say he is the best in the world pound for pound. I think they are mistaken though he is quiet good. He seems yto plant his legs firmly, looking for power in his fists and Ive yet to see anyone tryo to clinch and knee/elbow him ala Muay Thai though he has been successful doing so to others. I need sponsors. Ive been back to training very heavily which is why I havent been here much. I believe at 185 I could do it. Any ideas on how I might speed up the process to getting to this event?

My dad once told me that he thought he could out-box Sugar Ray Leonard.

That's one of the craziest things he ever said to me.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 05:29 PM

Janxspirit wrote - My dad once told me that he thought he could out-box Sugar Ray Leonard.
That's one of the craziest things he ever said to me.
---------------------------------------------------
Just looking Couch Quarterbacking/MMAing, everybody makes mistakes the things is are quick enough to take advanatge of them before they knock you out.

One of the reason most people don't clinch with A.S. is thats one of his strong suits and you have to take some to get in that close, by then your'e in no shape to control.

Like Tyson stated, "Everybody got a plan until they get HIT!!!"

I think A.Silva can be beat but you can't go in there half stepping or you will be carried out. His victory over Dan Henderson sealed it for me, that guys a Tank, and was choked out. Wrestling/grappling was Dan's strong suit.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/08/08 05:44 PM

Exactly my point. Silva has fought some tough people with certain attributes which are their strong point and he's beaten them at their own game. Silva is not one to be taken lightly by any fighter and especially somebody that has never had a sanctioned MMA fight and feels from watching the fights on TV he sees flaws and says he could beat him.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/09/08 12:25 PM

Well, where to start. First dont get your panties in a twist if i ont answer you immediately since I dont have a cpu or internet of my own anymore. It takes time. Second, its extremely disrespectful and ignorant to say that this guy or that guy would wipe the floor with me when you have no idea who I am or what I am capable of. I wonder how many of you would have said the same things to chuck liddell or anderson before they were the big names that they are now. Everybody that is somebody now was a nobody once.

As for my weaknesses, every fighter has weakness, but that doesnt make them weak. You are naturally going to be better at some areas than others.

I said I want to fight him. I didnt say it would be easy, but I believe I stand a chance against any man out there.Every dog has his day, and at any given moments its any mans fight.

Why dont I go to K1? Simple, the fighters arent complete. You cant fight one range and say that you are. You need all three ranges. Standup is not MMA.

As for my MMA fight record. Ive one two fights in the Tunica toughman competition and two in the Memphis Judo and Jujitsu tourneys. Each competition had less than five hundred spectators. Small small events. Neither of which are considered MMA though they contain aspects of MMA fights. You want to check up on me D, do the work yourself. Besides Im not very cpu savvy.

Cord, you once told me the same thing about my weight training in regards to the volume, and you were right then so perhaps you are right now. Ill get back to you and let you know.

I watched the lutter fight again last night. Very sloppy takedown attempts. Even with that he was able to take him own a number of times and could have pounded him out if he didnt take a sloppy attempt at the armbar instead.

Jason Macdonald- Not bad, even though he tapped out BETWEEN rounds. If he made it past the round, he should have kept going in the next. Just my opinion.

Anyways, The people who do know me are very supportive and very optimistic to the idea, so I plan to go forward with my plans. I will make it and when I do, Ill give a shout out to FA, and to my friends here.

Until then, Later haters
Posted by: Taison

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/09/08 02:21 PM

Cory,

Give him a nice slap on the face and say it's from Taison, and he says that Vanderlei is 10x cooler than him.

-Donnie

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/09/08 02:41 PM

Quote:

its extremely disrespectful and ignorant to say that this guy or that guy would wipe the floor with me when you have no idea who I am or what I am capable of.

Would that be the same you saying you were not impressed with Dan Henderson, Marqardt, Irvin and Lutter (your words "whatever"). These guys have proven themselves as MMA fighters and have trained MMA, have come up in the ranks of MMA, fought guys in MMA and continue to fight MMA.

Quote:

As for my weaknesses, every fighter has weakness, but that doesnt make them weak. You are naturally going to be better at some areas than others.

Correct however this cannot be said for yourself as of yet can it?

Quote:

As for my MMA fight record. Ive one two fights in the Tunica toughman competition and two in the Memphis Judo and Jujitsu tourneys.

So you are saying you have "no" MMA experience what so ever; correct? Hence unable to provide a link to your record. Don't worry though, I don't have record either and I've competed in Jujitsu tournaments as well. But Jujitsu and toughman competitions "are not" MMA and until you are in the ring/cage up against a MMA fighter, you will truly never know what it is like and what your real game is; strong or weak.

And "training" MMA is not fighting MMA. I know that because I have trained MMA at my old school, though be it very little compared to others though many aspects regularly; as many of them had fought MMA and some still continue. I just choose not to fight MMA and why with my new school that offers a 1 hour MMA class and has a MMA fight team, I opt out at this time and only take the 1 hour BJJ and 1 hour Muay Thai classes as those are my primary focuses at this time, this time at my age and my mind set. However if I wanted to fight MMA I could have a match either through this new club or my old with in the MFC, Fight Club or even KOTC but again not for me and I can admit that. I am not a MMA fighter and never will be. I like the training aspects of it but that is it.

Quote:

Jason Macdonald- Not bad, even though he tapped out BETWEEN rounds. If he made it past the round, he should have kept going in the next. Just my opinion.

Jason is an outstanding MMA fighter and all around athlete. My Instructor has trained a lot with him and has high respect as do other MMA fighters that he regularly trains with, gets invited to camps, not to mention the guys he's beat. If this doesn't tell you something then you have missed the point. Jason is a seasoned and "proven" fighter that you would be lucky to even get a chance of competing with let a lone beat. He fought Franklin and could not start the third round because Franklin is tough; very tough. Anderson Silva beat him twice in what I would says is a beat down. If that doesn't tell you how good Silva is and you even think you could stand against him, I would suggest you get on some meds or something because you've totally lost it.

Quote:

Anyways, The people who do know me are very supportive and very optimistic to the idea, so I plan to go forward with my plans. I will make it and when I do, Ill give a shout out to FA, and to my friends here

Good for you, go for it. Prove me wrong. If that happens I will formally apologize for doubting you and you can publicly say "I told you so doubter". But until then, until you even have your first MMA fight, let alone multiple fights that get you noticed, that get you a shot at lower on the ladder UFC type fighters till you get a tile shot ... you have nothing to talk about or say you "think" you could beat Silva or any other MMA fighter on the UFC roster for that matter.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/10/08 02:43 AM

Quote:

Second, its extremely disrespectful and ignorant to say that this guy or that guy would wipe the floor with me when you have no idea who I am or what I am capable of.

But that is precisely what you have been doing in regards to the nature of your critique of various fighters you have mentioned. You dont know what they are capable of either- sure you have watched them, but you have not fought them. I can imagine what it would be like to get punched by Chuck, but that is no substitute for the real experience.

Quote:

Absolutely, but as mentioned before, its about being able to control a fight to play to your strengths, and not have an oponents strengths imposed on you- that is cage craft, which you dont have yet.

Quote:

I said I want to fight him. I didnt say it would be easy, but I believe I stand a chance against any man out there.Every dog has his day, and at any given moments its any mans fight.

So are you saying you are a better fighter than he, or that you are hoping for a punchers chance?

Quote:

Why dont I go to K1? Simple, the fighters arent complete. You cant fight one range and say that you are.

But, as you already said, no fighter is perfect, no fighter is complete, so why not thrive in an environment you enjoy? Who are you trying to prove yourself to, and why?

Quote:

As for my MMA fight record. Ive one two fights in the Tunica toughman competition and two in the Memphis Judo and Jujitsu tourneys.

Toughman competitions are an evolution from fairground boxing rings, well done for winning, but a good club fighter will win a toughman comp easily, and get destroyed on the world stage- I dont think you have any direct experience of truly high level competition in anything, or you would understand the gulf that exists from good and talented to world class.

As for grappling tourneys, again, well done, but add strikes and elbows along with appropriate defence, and rolling takes on a hugely different dimension. Plenty of Abu Dabi winners and BJJ black belts fail to make the transition to MMA.

I was injury-retired before I got a chance to try out for the Welsh Rugby squad, but in my heart, I know that I wouldnt have been quite up to standard- and at that level, the smallest difference in skill becomes a vast chasm of hurt.

Quote:

Until then, Later haters

Its not a question of 'hating', its a question of realism.

To play psych101 with you, I suspect that this has come out of the personal troubles you detailed in the MA story you posted. I think you have come through your recent turmoil feeling like a 'survivor' and that nothing can beat you in life, I suspect that part of your coping mechanism in this situation has been to throw all your energy into your MA training- when you are training, you are 'escaping' the hurt and hardship outside the gym. This inturn has led to the obsessively large volume of work you have been doing. Sylva is an unattainable goal, that will allow you to maintain attention away from the pain for months, or even years- a quixotic windmill, if you like.

We all find ways to cope with pain Chen, and its good that you have found an outlet, but remember that the self imposed sense of 'invincibility' is part of that coping mechanism, and often leads to a crash. Most common is when you see people coping with bereavement- many close relatives throw themselves into organising the funeral, dealing with the legalities, and organising the wake. They are super focussed, almost detached- people comment on how 'brave' they are being. Then, after the last of the people are gone, and the buffet is cleared away, 'WHOOSH!!' they lose it, and start to grieve. Not to do so is unhealthy and leaves healing an impossibility.

Leave yourself room to heal my friend.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/10/08 10:09 AM

Well, good luck.

This sounds more like Custers last stand than anything else. If you're serious and not trolling, then I think your determination and self-confidence will be a great asset to you on your very, very long journey to a UFC title shot. Hopefully Anderson Silva will still be fighting when and if you make it there.

However, along the way I think you will find a journey filled with many surprises and obstacles you will have to overcome. You will be shocked, humbled and completely surprised by your abilities (and lack of) and those of your future opponents. Right now you may be a big fish in a small pond, but as you move on to bigger ponds, you're going to discover that there's a lot more fish out there big and small, that are a lot tougher than you. Just remember, sometimes we can't see the forest because of the trees.

Anyway, I doubt I'm saying anything someone else hasn't already said.

Good luck.

P.S. If you're serious and you do pursue a serious fighting career, bookmark this thread and read it again after you've managed to make it to the bigtime. I bet you'll laugh at some of the things you said.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/10/08 11:30 AM

Quote:

As for grappling tourneys, again, well done, but add strikes and elbows along with appropriate defence, and rolling takes on a hugely different dimension.

Yes it does, and I can verify that from personal experience. To know striking or grappling does not mean that you can just instinctively put them together - especially against someone that has already done so. MMA is seperate training paradgim unto itself.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/11/08 08:20 AM

*Kicks MattJ in the sacks*

I'm trying to NOT ground 'n pound people, but for me, newaza without strikes is like, meh, can't beat anyone at it.

Add a rule without strikes, I become a sitting duck.

That's where you might need to consider a bit Cory. Grappling without striking will sometimes yield better position and may not gas you out as fast (A simple shift into a better position is sometimes a lot more effective than trying to throw a strike at an impossible angle).

Now, trying to put Newaza and GnP together is a science in itself. How do people do it? I only manage to do GnP. I throw someone, mount and slap them silly.

~Donnie

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/14/08 10:15 AM

Pyschological response?! LOL Perhaps you didnt read the end of the story Cord, or simply meant the point? Ive made peace with my past, and who I am, and I know more about myself than ever before. Invincible? No. Pretty damn good, you bet.

Alot of you guys act like I dont train MMA and I dont roll with MMA guys. Apparently most of you forgot that me and JKogas were the first people on this site talking about MMA and we were flamed for it for some time. Now its the cool popular thing to do, and everyone thinks they know it better than anyone else. I know plenty.

Also Imposing your will on a resisting opponent isnt cage craft Cord, its fighting. Got plenty of experience there. Got plenty experience striking while rolling, takedowns while standing, etc, etc.

Again with the McDonald thing? Look, he quit after the round while they were giving him a BREAK. To quit when you didnt have to isnt a champons attitude, IMO. Sure he got rocked, thats understandable but to lay down between rounds, thats weakness.

As for the others, lutter et all, like I said they made lots of mistakes. Kudos to Anderson for capitlizing on them, and kudos for me from learning from them. Later

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/14/08 10:30 AM

You sure think high of your self Chen. You think that only you and John were into MMA just because you "talked" about it; give me a break and get off your high horse. From reading posts back to 2004 you are not even in John's league in this area.

Quote:

Again with the McDonald thing? Look, he quit after the round while they were giving him a BREAK. To quit when you didnt have to isnt a champons attitude, IMO. Sure he got rocked, thats understandable but to lay down between rounds, thats weakness.

I don't know Jason personally though I do know somebody who is that is close to me. I don't know the circumstance of why he couldn't continue and I'm not going to put words in Jason's mouth however beside a broken nose I'm sure that it was for the best for him and it wasn't due to any weakness; Jason is all heart. However Jason is a "proven" fighter in MMA boasting a record of 20-10-0; and has had 7 fights in the UFC. What is your record ... ahhhh ... you don't even fight MMA and don't have a record! You would be lucky to be able to contend with Jason but we shall never find out because I highly doubt your are as skilled as you think you are and when you do finally throw your gloves into the MMA ring I think you will find that out very fast. You can talk tough on the internet all you want but guys like Jason MacDonald are doing it in the ring.

Perhaps you had better look again in the mirror and find out who you really are because I think you are looking at a picture of somebody else and not a mirror image of yourself. I used to enjoy your thoughts and posts but as of recently it seems like some marbles are missing and after this post I think you are an @ss.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/14/08 10:36 AM

Oh, Im crushed! How will my world go on now that you have turned your back on me Dereck?! Please dont go!

You doubt, and you dont think this or that, and these guys are on tv, whatever. Like just because they've already mae it to the ufc and others havent that makes them better? Please. And Ive openly admitted several times that John knows more MMA than I do, particularly grappling and Ive gone to him for advice many times. So what.

You seem just as sure that I wont make it as I am sure that I will. The only difference is, I know the truth about myself. I know my capabilities and weaknesses and you know nothing.

I'll miss you.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/14/08 10:45 AM

I'll miss you too Chen. I hope that you prove me wrong but before you can do that you need to gain respect for other people that have proven themselves in the ring; they are there for a reason. Nothing wrong with saying, "I'd like one day to fight Anderson Silva" instead of saying you believe you can beat him; saying this without even one MMA fight under your belt.

One thing I know is that training MMA is not fighting MMA. And once you do get in the ring you will find that out because the guy across from you is thinking the same thing as you are; that they are going to win because they are better. THEN you will have to prove it.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/14/08 04:21 PM

Chen how could you possibly even think you could take down Anderson Silva when you haven't even been in the cage?

Its simply a ridiculous thought in fact i think you must be deluding yourself in some way to think that.

Its one thing to hit some pads, its one thing to do BJJ, but when your in a cage with another man and everything comes into play its a completely different ball game.

How about trying to fight MMA first before taking on Anderson Silva right? Get some fights Chen whats the point of posting i think i can beat Silva on a forum when really your just sat at home on your ass.... oh wait your training for most of the day hope you have time to work as well. common who you trying to fool, Silva would probably submit you if he didn't knock you out first- who knows maybe you caught him on a good day.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/14/08 06:50 PM

Get some fights...Thats the plan from the get go. Sit on my ass all day... I think not. The past day or so is the most posts Ive put up in the past six months to a year. The reason I have more the past few days is because I took Cords advice and took some time off, since the last time he told me that it worked.

How can I think that I could beat Anderson? Easy. Ive got plenty of fights under my belt, rather they were sanctioned MMA fights or not, a fight is a fight. The only thing that Anderson has on me experience wise is the cage itself. Ive never fought in a cage or been pressed up against one and thats really my only worry. Honestly though, Im not and never been afraid to toe up with any man. At the end of the day, he's just human, rather he's on tv, or at home training waiting on a chance to get on tv.

You see, its sort of like Bruce Lee. He was an entertaining Martial artist and the next thing you know people start screaming "best Ever" "Best in the World". Thats a pretty broad statement considering only about 1 percent or less get a chance to showcase there skills on a worldwide level. Its idolization due to oversaturation. You've seen him a bunch on tv, he's beaten twenty or thirty guys and he's the best. Well, Ive won thirty or so fights, that must make me the best streetfighter ever. Whatever.

The thing you all need to remember is that at one time everyone was a no one.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/14/08 09:22 PM

So Cory, what have you done so far since talking about this? When is your fight and where will it be?

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/15/08 09:34 AM

i think you should post it up on here so we can see this one sided domination of yours.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/15/08 12:49 PM

Quote:

Ive got plenty of fights under my belt, rather they were sanctioned MMA fights or not, a fight is a fight.

Street fights? Bar brawls? Are you kidding me? So these were equally skilled fighters of the same weight class with "training" and had been "training" to fight up until the point of your actually fight. GIVE ME A BREAK.

If you base how you will fight on this then you are going to be rudely awakened. In MMA people are "training" for a fight. They are physically and mentally preparing for the fight. They are practicing counters and attacks. They are practicing technique which as you well know, technique can nullify a stronger and faster opponent. A street fight/bar brawl ... jacked up on adrenalin, liquid courage, your buddies egging you on ... not even close and cannot be compared or even brought into this equation.

Again good luck.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/15/08 05:32 PM

You look too closely to the words and not enough to there meaning. Self defense should be the same, regardless of the opponent or the setting. Either your efficient or your not.

And sure Tom, if I get a shot Ill gladly post it win or lose.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/15/08 06:42 PM

Quote:

So Cory, what have you done so far since talking about this? When is your fight and where will it be?

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/16/08 05:36 AM

Quote:

Pyschological response?! LOL Perhaps you didnt read the end of the story Cord, or simply meant the point? Ive made peace with my past, and who I am, and I know more about myself than ever before. Invincible? No. Pretty damn good, you bet.

I was referring to your last post on that thread Chen, where you told us that you have had your family unit destroyed, and discovered a terrible betrayal. That seemed very raw, and such situations trigger the same 'grieving'responses, and subsequent coping mechanisms.

Of course, you might have just turned into a deluded arrogant a$$hole. Time will tell.

later.
Posted by: jude33

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/17/08 03:08 PM

Chen dude. There are some on this forum just like in all walks of life I wouldnt take a lot of notice of.

There are some Like John and Medulanet I would.

If you feel you can beat this guy go and try it while you think you can.

Even if you lose to him you havent realy lost against your self.

You have fought someone who most wouldnt even get in with.

Including some who post on here.

Good luck dude.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/17/08 07:31 PM

Jude, before he can lose to him he has to have a fight; a MMA fight. He'll have to start which he hasn't yet. He'll have to show he has enough skill to even get noticed. As I said before, when that happens, if he gets noticed well then I will gladly eat crow. I don't care if he ever gets to fight Silva as long as he fights and continually wins enough to get noticed by the UFC. That in itself is an accomplishment; one that he's putten down of others. And I won't wish him luck because luck does squat; you have to make it happen. If you rely on luck then you've already failed.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/18/08 04:24 PM

Exactly Dereck. The burden is on Chen. Posting something like this without any backup whatsoever is foolish.

I still want to know what has been done to get where he wants to go. ??? hopefully he's not training for mma by doing more streetfighting,lol.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/18/08 06:08 PM

I hope Chen backs this up and works towards this and does well, that is my hope for anybody. But if Chen does nothing or says due to these posts he decided to not proceed then he will have failed himself and it will fall on his shoulders only.

If Chen was already in the MMA world, had professional fights under his belt with a huge winning streak and then said, "I want to fight Anderson Silva as I believe I could win", then this would not even be a question and I think you would find many people on her "pro" Chen. However to say you've watched many of his fights and see flaws and you can beat him ... without ever once entering the MMA ring, that is a whole other different story.

So Chen, when does the training start? How long before you think you can have your first fight? Work hard and keep us posted.
Posted by: TridentOne

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/18/08 08:42 PM

I want to fight Anderson Cooper.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/18/08 11:36 PM

Wouldn't it be wild if Silva read this post and posted himself to accept? Then what Chen?

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/19/08 07:35 AM

I think the first thing he needs to do is find a good club, when i started BJJ i didn't want to just train with anyone i wanted o train with the best. That is why im part of team Lagarto and not training at a crappy second rate gym with bad tuition. I went back there today as i wanted extra training and absolutely dominated people on the floor and i don't even train No Gi. Goes to show you what a good team can do for you in a few months.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/21/08 05:24 PM

Arrogant and deluded? Thanks Cord. Truth be told, Ive had much more go on since then. Home invaders, shootings, court, blah blah blah, but none of that matters, because my life still goes on. Its not fuel for the fire or any kind of driving force. I want to fight Silva for the same reasons I would like to fight Couture, Liddell, GSP, and others. I want to fight the best in the world. I train to fight the best, as best I can.

So what have I done since posting this? Took a few days off, reworked my training schedule, due to the advice of Cord, and I went and talked to jeff again. His gym is to far for me to train so Ive since talked to another gym thats closer to me. I'll train there, for the next 60 to ninety days, and have my first fight.

Someone said,"What if Anderson himself responded here"

I WISH. Lot less work for me to reach the dreams that I have.

Like it was said by Jude, who I would like to thank for such a civil response when most here would rather bash and name call, it doesnt matter if I win or lose. If I lost to him right now, what would change in my life? Other than my training and trainers likely not much. Maybe a little more public notice but thats all. If I win however, it changes everything.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/21/08 05:34 PM

Cory,

I'm not sure what you expected as far as responses by posting that you want to fight the ufc champ. I think people have been relatively gracious. Post that at bs.com and see what happens,lol.

If you are good enough to beat the guys you named you will steamroll through the competetion all in the first round without a scratch.

Keep us posted on your progress. If at all possible I'd like to be there for your first fight.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/21/08 05:34 PM

Also I wanted to say that I went back and watched the Henderson fight again and a few of his other fights I was able to find. He didnt stick to his plan and he didnt fight Silva the way he fights most fights and I believe that was what cost him the fight.

We he was pressing the attack he was doing good. When he wasnt, he ate alot of kicks because he didnt stay out of andersons kicking range. When they grappled he did good with side control, and the hammerfists and inside elbows were working for him also. However, he didnt go for a single submission attempt and he didnt have any submission defence. He rolled one time to try to escape before being choked out. I would have expected more from an olympic level wrestler.His punches were good, especially the overhand right. He should have kept pressing the issue on the inside and when he wasnt getting the better end of the exchange back out-completely to stay out of kick range, or went for the takedown an GnP or Sub, IMO.

Ive noticed alot lately about Anderson that I do myself, some good and some bad. For instance the time he takes to gauge an opponent, and he seems to be a counter fighter mostly, like me. We have nearly the same build, he has about 1 inch on me. Id say the biggest difference between us is that he dedicates alot to his attacks. He looks for the one shot ko, he does alot of dedicated and dynamic moves like flying knees, head level kicks, and spinning backfists. I think things like that are bad ideas for the most part, and I think Henderson was right when he said "Anderson has had alot of good matchups for Anderson"

I believe I would be a bad matchup for him. Hopefully we will see.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/21/08 05:40 PM

Im not sure what I expected either Brian, however, I do my best not to name call and belittle people, though it does happen. Honestly had you or someone else here said the things that Ive said I believe my post may have been pretty similar to Judes. Id be supportive, and I definately wouldnt talk down to someone I felt was a friend like several people have done to me. Id tell them good luck and give the best advice possible. I wouldnt belittle them or try to crush there hopes by telling them they would get smashes since Ive never met or seen them before in my life other than on a internet forum. Whats the old saying about making assumptions? Makes you an ass or something like that right? I never underestimate anyone, because I try not to be so foolish.

Brian, I would be honored if you were at my fight, and in my corner.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/21/08 05:44 PM

Nothing wrong with dreams and trying to make them real. Make sure you set some goals for yourself and make sure they are SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely).

With Anderson Silva you've set your goals high; very high. Are they attainable or realistic; perhaps not. Wanting to fight the best in the world; somebody that fights MMA of course should be shooting for this or why do it.

Again I think if you had approached this differently and did not come off the way you did plus showed respect for many already proven in the MMA world then I think you would have found much more support. This post almost seems softer and more tolerable which means a more approachable Chen.

I hope that once you start training that you train hard towards your first MMA bout. I hope that that leads to further training and further bouts. I even hope that you win and have a successful go at it and you do get noticed by the UFC. I hope you find what you are looking for Chen.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/21/08 05:55 PM

Quote:

Im not sure what I expected either Brian, however, I do my best not to name call and belittle people, though it does happen. Honestly had you or someone else here said the things that Ive said I believe my post may have been pretty similar to Judes. Id be supportive, and I definately wouldnt talk down to someone I felt was a friend like several people have done to me. Id tell them good luck and give the best advice possible. I wouldnt belittle them or try to crush there hopes by telling them they would get smashes since Ive never met or seen them before in my life other than on a internet forum. Whats the old saying about making assumptions? Makes you an ass or something like that right? I never underestimate anyone, because I try not to be so foolish.

Brian, I would be honored if you were at my fight, and in my corner.

Ofcourse, I think we're in close enough proximity to make it happen. Where will you train(pm if you want)? I'd like to see and possibly help. You never know I might have something to teach you. Atleast I could hold the pads!
If you are ever over this way I have an excellent place for you to train and some very good guys to hook you up with. A friend of mine did send a guy to the ufc. There is a pic of them on our wall with them and Ken Shamrock. He won too!
We have a large mat that used to belong to the Ft.Smith boys club, lots of heavy bags, throwing and grappling bags, gloves,etc....
I'll be honest with you though. Anderson Sylva would put me in the hospital in about 30seconds.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/22/08 07:18 AM

Chen the only reason i was so harsh with my reply was because like many we see it as a bit of an insult to belittle world class fighters who clearly deserve respect for their sill level.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/22/08 10:35 AM

I dont mean to belittle anyone, and rarely do I. I do analyze things extremely, especially fighters, and perhaps thats why people think Im a jerk sometimes. This is, of course a text conversation and not spoken word so it may be hard to interpret the tone at times.

I'll be training at Bang Gym, Brian. Suprisingly enough the MMA scene doesnt seem to be as big as it is in your area, as Ive heard about alot of places around there and only a few here. Just to go to this gym Ill be commuting 50 miles one way. But its the closest avenue around here to get to the fight scene so, Im going to see what they're about anyways.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/22/08 03:53 PM

Chen, make sure the gym you select actually trains fighters. The new school I'm going to has a MMA Fight Team and they train specifically together for fighting separate then their MMA, Muay Thai and BJJ classes taught. Many people want to train but not necessarily fight so are two different beasts.

Keep us posted when you do decide to start. Don't wait too long otherwise you may never start and this whole thread you started and have defended would all be for not.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/22/08 04:29 PM

Quote:

Suprisingly enough the MMA scene doesnt seem to be as big as it is in your area, as Ive heard about alot of places around there and only a few here. Just to go to this gym Ill be commuting 50 miles one way. But its the closest avenue around here to get to the fight scene so, Im going to see what they're about anyways.

50 miles is nothing and isn't uncommon for MMA fighters to travel great distance. Not that you are a fan but Jason MacDonald lives in Red Deer, AB and drives to Calgary as well as Edmonton to train daily. From Red Deer to Calgary it is in excess of 148 KM (91 Miles). From Red Deer to Edmonton it is 157 KM (98 Miles). These distances do not even included intercity driving just from outskirts to outskirts and he does this all of the time and I've heard trains sometime morning one place and afternoon another. As well traveling to other schools across Canada and the United States are not even taken in account. That is the life of a fighter at a high level.

50 Miles is a drop in the bucket and so would further if somebody is serious about training.

(Apologize if necessary to Jason MacDonald for using him as a reference throughout this thread; greatest respect)

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/23/08 04:08 PM

The school Jeff Mullen runs is about 90-95 miles one way for me, plus the innercity traffic. With my work schedule, Id lose too much money from lost hours, plus gas, so I am sorta in the position now that I have o take what I can, but I plan to relocate soon, and move closer to the city and if thats the case Ill probably be going to Jeff's Gym.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/25/08 01:39 PM

Quote:

The school Jeff Mullen runs is about 90-95 miles one way for me, plus the innercity traffic. With my work schedule, Id lose too much money from lost hours, plus gas, so I am sorta in the position now that I have o take what I can, but I plan to relocate soon, and move closer to the city and if thats the case Ill probably be going to Jeff's Gym.

Yeah, if you are serious about it, just relocate, you would for any other job.

I don't see how far a fighter drives as any indication of well... anything.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/25/08 02:04 PM

Quote:

Ive made peace with my past, and who I am, and I know more about myself than ever before. Invincible? No. Pretty damn good, you bet.

Pretty good is not good enough for what you aspire to achieve.

Quote:

Alot of you guys act like I dont train MMA and I dont roll with MMA guys. Apparently most of you forgot that me and JKogas were the first people on this site talking about MMA and we were flamed for it for some time. Now its the cool popular thing to do, and everyone thinks they know it better than anyone else. I know plenty.

So your pedigree is talking about MMA a lot? i have been watching MMA since UFC 2, does that mean I can whoop Sylva too? Man, this MMA stuff is easy

Quote:

Also Imposing your will on a resisting opponent isnt cage craft Cord, its fighting. Got plenty of experience there.

then you said:

Quote:

The only thing that Anderson has on me experience wise is the cage itself. Ive never fought in a cage or been pressed up against one and thats really my only worry.

Which is it?

Quote:

Again with the McDonald thing? Look, he quit after the round while they were giving him a BREAK. To quit when you didnt have to isnt a champons attitude

Duran vs Leonard?
Tzsyu vs Hatton?

Its not about what you think, its what an oponent inflicts upon you. Every guy that ever 'tapped out' didnt want to do so.

Look Chen, the trouble is that if I pat your back and say 'sure, I think you could take him ol' buddy ol' pal' then 1, i would be lying, and 2, I would be doing you no favours. Your 'self assuredness' (better?), can easily lead to complacency- after all, if you believe truly in your heart that you have the beating of him, then what is to gain from the fight itself. My doubt is merely a reflection of your own.

In regards to the real life violence as experience- I could get a bunch of guys of similar height and weight out of bars across my region, line them up and beat them in a 100m sprint- I am fast for my build/size.
This does not act as empirical evidence that I could beat Ussain Bolt , and Sylva's dominance in his sport is comparable.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/25/08 03:46 PM

Again Cord, an excellent analogy.

If I'm not mistaken Usain Bolt trains, correct? He may race on some pretty superb tracks but I suspect he can run on pavement, dirt, grass or broken glass if you will, better then most people. That racing against one or more people the outcomes would be the same, correct?

I can tell you I'm quick, always have been. Growing up I ran track, played soccer, football and baseball and I was always on top for any running skills. In class for running drills I'm probably the quickest of the majority. However I will never beat Usian nor will I be able to compete at his level even if younger. This guy is at the top of his sport for a reason; much the same as Anderson Silva is.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/29/08 12:04 PM

If you dont think I can do it, its no sweat off my sack, pal. If I believe I have him beaten, what do I stand to gain? Was that your question? Are you serious?

Look, you could say all day long that Im going to lose. That doesnt change my training, my goals, or the fact that I WILL WIN if I ever get a chance.

All you know is what you see here, you dont know my past, my strengths or weaknesses and its not something that Im going to post about and make myself look like a VTG to justify myself to you- a person whom Ive never met.

The truth is I dont have to justify myself to anyone, and I have nothing to prove, to you or myself.

Also, I think perhaps you should reread a few things. Yeah,Anderson fights in a cage and I dont. But Imposing your will is imposing your will, cage or no cage.

And let me tell you something else, just because Ive had a rocky past doesnt mean I go bar to bar picking fights or that Ive never had fights against talented fighters. I lived most of my life in violence either from the outside world or within my own home and out of all the fights Ive had, 99.8 percent of them were started by the other guy. I didnt grow up in nice neighborhoods, in fact, I grew up in the same area as Rampage Jackson, and when I wasnt out on the streets I was at home getting beat down. No man will ever beat me down again.

Your cocky ass attitude [censored] me off honestly. You would call me arrogant yet you would make assumptions regarding things you know nothing about. And as for MMA talk, its just talk when its on the forum, but its for real when its for real and when I was telling most of you that you need to be training MMA you guys were talking about Bunkai, so wtf ever man. Brian is going to make it to my first fight, when he does, Ill let him tell you Im the real deal.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/29/08 02:01 PM

So get training and quit talking. And for the record you have already shown a VTG attitude, we just want you to back it up now and follow through. Can you do that?

Still hope you do well even after that rant.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/29/08 02:40 PM

Remember Chen don't overtrain. Don't jump in too soon either. Make sure you are physically and mentally prepared before getting in there.

How was the place you checked out? Do they train for fights?

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/29/08 02:57 PM

Quote:

I lived most of my life in violence either from the outside world or within my own home and out of all the fights Ive had, 99.8 percent of them were started by the other guy. I didnt grow up in nice neighborhoods, in fact, I grew up in the same area as Rampage Jackson, and when I wasnt out on the streets I was at home getting beat down. No man will ever beat me down again.

Chen, you said this like it is to mean something but this holds no water. There are many tough kids that grew up similar and are not worth spit while there are kids that grew up in good homes with good neighborhoods and they are tough as nails. While environments may play a small role they don't make up for the individual.

This is not a story I haven't heard before and as I lived some of this that has dictated how I live my life now, I can most certainly respect and feel for you. No person deserves to be beat down growing up. This puts a lot of anger in people and I count myself including. I can tell you it does no good and I've seen it first hand but I have found some focuses in life to "aid" in making life for myself in my wife/daughter better; better then I was earlier on.

I hope you do train and you do find a focus for this as you do sound angry and you do sound like you are carrying baggage. I hope you do well and I hope all of your dreams come true. But YOU will have to make the difference. So start training and get off the pot. If this angers you and makes you want to prove me and the world wrong then good; use that as fuel. But don't sit around saying you are going to do something when you haven't even begun. Jump in and get at it. Train, fight, train, fight ... rinse and repeat.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/29/08 03:40 PM

Quote:

The truth is I dont have to justify myself to anyone, and I have nothing to prove, to you or myself.

Yes you do, you've got to go beat Anderson Silva. Good luck

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/29/08 05:10 PM

"Your cocky ass attitude [censored] me off honestly. "

Yeah, I think that the "Cocky Attitude" is the problem to begin with...

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/29/08 09:53 PM

dont give me he was cocky this and cocky that, when someone makes such a bold statement you can be guaranteed there's someone there to test them on it and rightly so. im just glad this forum has people like BrianS, Cord and Dereck. They do the dirty work i cant be bothered to at the end of the day. as you can see Chen no one wants you to fail they really dont they wouldn't get any enjoyment out of it. if you are willing to put yourself out their and beat the best then god speed. trust me i have thought about going into pro thaiboxing many times but at the end of the day i only did the pro fights for the experience, im not from a bad background family wise i only learnt the hard way from getting some bad situations on the street and i aint from a bad area i just have had a bad run in with alot of people and im not one to stand down.

To be honest now its all abou the BJJ for me, im with a good team and am using my natural ability there, iv never wanted to be a big superstar i don't think my life has ever pointed that way, at most ill be good at what i do and train the fighters who want to compete that's where iv always been the best. i just want to start a family and live life as it is, being a full time fighter aint for me mate lets admit the pay is [censored] unless you make it big! update us soon mate a video would be great maybe of some of your MMA fights remember... even if you lose you can still learn more than that from anything it doesn't mean anything. Anyway i hope im not waffling im actually quite drunk and its late...

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 08/30/08 10:15 AM

Quote:

If you dont think I can do it, its no sweat off my sack, pal.

Evidently it is pal, or you wouldn't have spewed all this manure over the forum.

Quote:

If I believe I have him beaten, what do I stand to gain? Was that your question? Are you serious?

Yes. Care to answer?

Quote:

Look, you could say all day long that Im going to lose. That doesnt change my training, my goals, or the fact that I WILL WIN if I ever get a chance.

Can I borrow that crystal ball before next weeks lottery please?

Quote:

All you know is what you see here, you dont know my past, my strengths or weaknesses and its not something that Im going to post about and make myself look like a VTG to justify myself to you- a person whom Ive never met.

None of it would relate to fighting someone of Sylva's class in a caged sport environment, so none of it would validate your argument to me.

Quote:

Then I ask again, why get pi$$y about my reaction, and why do you want the fight in the first place?
Nothing to prove my hairy a$$. If you cant be honest on here, at least be honest with yourself.

Quote:

Also, I think perhaps you should reread a few things. Yeah,Anderson fights in a cage and I dont. But Imposing your will is imposing your will, cage or no cage.

i never contradicted you on this, you contradicted you.

Quote:

And let me tell you something else, just because Ive had a rocky past doesnt mean I go bar to bar picking fights or that Ive never had fights against talented fighters.

How many world class professional athletes have you fought thus far?

Quote:

I lived most of my life in violence either from the outside world or within my own home and out of all the fights Ive had, 99.8 percent of them were started by the other guy.

If you respond to people in RL like you have on this thread, the fact that you have been swung at a lot does not suprise me

Quote:

I didnt grow up in nice neighborhoods, in fact, I grew up in the same area as Rampage Jackson, and when I wasnt out on the streets I was at home getting beat down. No man will ever beat me down again.

I am sorry you had it tough, truly I am, but Rampage's neighbourhood, his street violence and his drive simply didn't stop Griffin, an ex-cop from a quiet town, handing hm his a$$. Life is not a rocky montage, it sounds like you know this more than most, so dont expect life in the cage to be any smoother.

Quote:

Your cocky ass attitude [censored] me off honestly.

Mr Pot, please meet Mr Kettle.

Quote:

You would call me arrogant yet you would make assumptions regarding things you know nothing about.

And yet, my opinion so obviously matters to you. Go figure

Quote:

And as for MMA talk, its just talk when its on the forum, but its for real when its for real

Couldnt agree more. exactly how many MMA fights have you had thus far again?

Quote:

I was telling most of you that you need to be training MMA you guys were talking about Bunkai, so wtf ever man.

Not me, I was throwing tough guys out of bars- there's a lot of 'em about you know.

Quote:

Brian is going to make it to my first fight, when he does, Ill let him tell you Im the real deal.

I genuinely hope you do well, but more importantly, I hope you manage to be pleasant to Brian when you meet, because, whilst always a fiery one, your basic nature appears to have been irreprebably damaged by an angry arrogance.

It doesnt matter who you beat in the cage if you become a poorer human being for the experience.

I am not your enemy. I dont wish you anything but luck and success. Everyone on here has said the same. And everyone who has been beaten in every sport and every fight in history has had the same self belief as you. $hit happens.

Just a question to finish with- what If you lose your first MMA match? As it is not happening purely in your brain, there is a 50/50 chance of this happening?

You see the problem with an 'iron will' is that Iron can be very brittle if not tempered properly.

Food for thought.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/01/08 04:59 PM

Let me start by saying RIP John Clifton Robertson 1939 2008
He was buried the day I last responded, my apologies for being more "Fiery" than usual.

Cord, to be honest with you, Ive felt like every response that you've made here, from the first one, has been a personal attack. You would make it sound as if that because Im not signed to a worldwide promotion that somehow I must not have any skill or talent or chance against those who have already made it there. You would also make it appear that Im some streetfighting punk, fighting other punks, like Im some internet poser. From our past conversations over the years you should know this is far from the case.

Id like to think that had this conversation been in spoken word that it would be more civil and I would like to think that perhaps we've both misinterpreted things here, and its in that spirit that I continue to answer you now.

So what do I stand to gain by beating Anderson? Invaluable experience above anything else. Win or lose Ive learned something from the best in the world.

What happens if I lose my first fight? I keep fighting. Im not afraid to lose. Im only bothere by it if I ont learn from it.

So what have I done since my last post? Little, due to the death of my Grandfather and now the death of my uncle as well, RIP Tommy Barron.

Some of you had said stop talking and start training. To you I say this, Ive been training nearly twwenty years. Also I would implore you to count my posts over the past six months to a year. They are very few, especially compared to you daily posters.

Cord, Ive always valued your opinions, and our friendship here. With that, Id like to say, perhaps we should start this conversation over, with a renewed sense of respect and patience.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/02/08 03:09 AM

Chen,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent losses. My condolences to you and your family.

Did you check out the gym you told me about? Do they train authentic fighters?

Anytime you are in my area be sure to give me a buzz!

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/02/08 05:09 AM

Quote:

Let me start by saying RIP John Clifton Robertson 1939 2008
He was buried the day I last responded, my apologies for being more "Fiery" than usual.

I too said goodbye to a family member last friday, my condolences to you and yours.

Quote:

Cord, to be honest with you, Ive felt like every response that you've made here, from the first one, has been a personal attack.

Not so. Come on Chen, if anyone else on here had opened a thread with your 1st post, you would have responded in a similar way.

Quote:

You would make it sound as if that because Im not signed to a worldwide promotion that somehow I must not have any skill or talent or chance against those who have already made it there.

I am not saying you have no skill, or talent. I am saying that you are not yet a professional athlete, and having not fought in a professional environment, you are not yet in a position to take for granted the level of dominance you have given yourself in your mind. Not every olympic boxing champ thrives as a pro, there are thousands of talented college football players who dont make the cut for the NFL, or who have lousy rookie seasons, and there are some fantastic club runners who would be 20 minutes off the pace at the front of the NY marathon.

Quote:

You would also make it appear that Im some streetfighting punk, fighting other punks, like Im some internet poser.

You are the one who has referenced your many real world altercations as evidence of your fighting ablity, not I. I would have been more interested to hear you talk about your JKD training experience, but there you go. i can only respond to what you say cant I?

Quote:

From our past conversations over the years you should know this is far from the case.

But from past conversations, you should really look at what you have said on here, how you responded to Dereck, and to me, and ask yourself if this thread is not some monumental brain-fart on your part. Its very out of character, hence my initial probing regarding your state of mind.

Quote:

Id like to think that had this conversation been in spoken word that it would be more civil and I would like to think that perhaps we've both misinterpreted things here, and its in that spirit that I continue to answer you now.

fair enough Chen, but I really dont see where there has been any misinterperetation, I just think its an old fashioned disagreement.

Quote:

So what do I stand to gain by beating Anderson? Invaluable experience above anything else. Win or lose Ive learned something from the best in the world.

Huge step on your part. 1. you acknowledge the possibility of defeat. 2. you acknowledge his ability. If you had started out talking like this, you would have got less reaction from all.

Quote:

What happens if I lose my first fight? I keep fighting. Im not afraid to lose. Im only bothere by it if I ont learn from it.

Further change. More realistic than 'no man will ever beat me again'

Quote:

Some of you had said stop talking and start training. To you I say this, Ive been training nearly twwenty years. Also I would implore you to count my posts over the past six months to a year. They are very few, especially compared to you daily posters.

20 years training can be seen as either a plus or negative- you have to be in your early 30's right? Pretty late in life to begin having aspirations as a professional fighter.

Quote:

Cord, Ive always valued your opinions, and our friendship here. With that, Id like to say, perhaps we should start this conversation over, with a renewed sense of respect and patience.

Post some more stuff that is worthy of respect and doesn't try my patience and we will be back on track

i wish you luck in all you do Chen, and I hope that your life in the cage goes as you hope it will, and that is the truth. No one wants to hit you up for free PPV event tickets more than me , its just that a lot of what you believe is still based on factors you have no direct experience of.
Every top pro-athlete in the world shows the same dedication and will to win, even the guy in last place at the olympics 100m sweated his guts out to get there and gave it his all.
Its worth pointing out that he ran the distance faster than all but 7 people in the world that day, yet looked 'slow' on the telly.
The talented can look mundane against the exceptional, and that is worth thinking on the next time you analyze a Sylva fight.

Peace.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/02/08 09:26 AM

Chen,

I am curious and wondering is it possible for you to try out for TUFF/UFC house?

Maybe that would get ya in the door. But I am not sure what it involves to qualify for TUFF.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/02/08 07:07 PM

Jason, I thought of that myself, but I have yet to have the time to research it. I first thought of it when I saw that there were a few fighters there with no record at all. I believe Amir had no record and now he has a contract!

Brian, no I havent due to the recent death of my grandfather and uncle. I plan to get in there this week.

Cord, Im almost thirty, not quiet. And it may be late, but its been a lifelong dream and I only recently had the opportunity to pursue it in a professional manner. Also I had a lot of recovery time after breaking my neck a few years ago so I wasnt comfortable with the idea just yet. Today, I feel stronger than ever.

How would I reacted had someone else posted this? Its hard to say, it really depens on who it was, and how much respect I held for that person. Id like to think though, that I would give the best advice possible, and wish them luck. Then that way, if they got in, they might put in a word for me!

Cord, I also would like to send you my condolenses(sp?). Family death is a hard thing to face and I wish you the best, and also offer that life is short, as proven by our late family members. Life is short, so we must make the most of every moment, and we should remember this when we engage in things as petty as internet arguements that serve no purpose but to waste our time. Peace out!

Oh, and we can have that JKD experience talk whenever your ready!

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/02/08 08:42 PM

Chen,

Since this thread is centered around you perhaps you could shed some light on your previous training.

1. Where and what style. How old you were, how long etc..
2. How you trained.
3. Ranks (if any).
4. Fighting experience in dojo's or with other styles, etc..

Share anything you like!

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/03/08 04:10 AM

Quote:

How would I reacted had someone else posted this? Its hard to say, it really depens on who it was, and how much respect I held for that person. Id like to think though, that I would give the best advice possible, and wish them luck. Then that way, if they got in, they might put in a word for me!

Well, there was advice amongst the humour in my first post (if you look at that post in full, feel free to notice the 'raz' emoticon in there ), so I will copy it here:

Quote:

Make the leap and go train with a pro MMA team. Impress them, get used as training partners for their top guys, win on undercards/small promotions, get noticed by Dana. Now you have to not only win on various undercards and spike freeviews, but win with style. Now you will get on the broadcast undercard of a big PPV, and you have to win well and start calling out Sylva inbetween shouting sponsors names down the mic. Rinse, repeat 4 or 5 times, and you will get your chance to be owned by...er I mean, your chance to fight Anderson 'i am a very good Muay Thai fighter and thats why nobody can clinch me that well' Sylva.

Good luck.

That really is the progression from where you are, to where you want to be.

my thanks for your condolences, and i understand the sentiment behind the 'life is too short' stuff, but imagine if you died having never enjoyed a good row with anyone- how dull would that be?

Quote:

Oh, and we can have that JKD experience talk whenever your ready!

I have always seen JKD's concept(s) as the seed from which MMA has grown, so was wondering how you see your JKD training fitting into your newly chosen path?

Turn this thread away from the final destination (Silva), and concentrate on the journey (the transition to a pro MMAist), and you will get no doubting thomas's on here at all. I believe you have every chance of doing that Chen, and look forward to hearing about how it goes

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/14/08 11:25 AM

Brian,

1. Chen Tai Chi Chuan with GM Dillman for 6 months.
2. Online mostly, one or two seminar back in the 90's with Dillman.
3. 7th Dan given to me by Musashin Minamoto by mail.
4. I've fought off ninjas on a daily basis. Damn ninjas!

Wait.. you asked Chen? Err... I thought you asked me lol.

Chen,

What lineage of JKD do you come from? I'd be cool to see a JKD fighter in the UFC instead of the MT/BJJ dudes.

Also knowing you're a striker mainly, any ideas of how you're going to implement your strategies into this game where most people are eithe GnP or submission fighters?

~Donnie

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/14/08 01:53 PM

I'd hang on to those thoughts Taison till Chen advised he has finally started "training". Not just attending classes to learn but training to fight.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/16/08 01:50 PM

Anderson Silva... That's a tough nut to crack...

Why not set a smaller goal and advance from there?

~Donnie

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/17/08 12:30 PM

Anything happening yet Chen?

Since this all started a buddy I train with has decided to fight and his fight will be this Saturday in Lloydminster, Alberta when Evolution Fighting Championship makes its debut.

He's been wanting to try his hand at MMA for a while. We currently came up in TKD/BJJ together and now train at a school that does BJJ, Muay Thai and MMA. However unlike myself he is training to be a fighter so is putting in extra time and has visited our school's owner's other school that they have a MMA fighting team. Having trained with this kid for 6 years, knowing his mentality, knowing how much energy and never quit attitude; I expect good things from him.
Posted by: Aesir

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/23/08 05:58 AM

You better hurry up looks like he is set to retire next year or so Anderson Silva

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/23/08 10:28 AM

I really wonder if he will retire. As for a "super fight" between him and GSP; don't see it happening as George is not coming up in weight and I think would be too hard to drop another weight class. Would be a good fight though.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/23/08 10:49 AM

i don't think Silva could drop another weight class to be honest.
Posted by: jackmcmanus21

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/25/08 02:43 PM

If GSP can get to Welterweight, I think Anderson probably could.

Re: I want to fight Anderson Silva - 09/25/08 05:24 PM

I don't see this ever happening.

GSP fights at Welterweight (155 lbs to 170 lbs). GSP does not have to lose much weight to fight at this weight class; not much at all.

Silva fights at Middleweight (170 lbs to 185 lbs) and is at the top of this weight class and must lose weight to fight AND had to lose a little just to fight in the Light Heavyweight (185 lbs to 205 lbs); though not much.

So say Silva wanted to fight at Welterweight he would have to lose 40 lbs or more to do so; that is way too much weight to lose. I don't know many fighters that can do this and still be strong with the exception of Sean Sherk. And since we already knew and it was proven with testing, Sherk only has to stop taking his supplement "S" to help this cause. And why would GSP want to fight at the bottom of the Middle Weight class when he is at his best right where he is at the top of the Welterweight class?

Again, don't see it happening thought it would be a good fight.