Rampage Arrested

Posted by: MattyChi

Rampage Arrested - 07/16/08 02:03 AM

Quinton Jackson got arrested for a hit and run and such. Kinda crazy. Check it out.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-071508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

full story is at

TMZ.com
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/16/08 07:44 AM

WTF? I guess he didn't take the loss to Griffin too well.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/16/08 09:26 AM

Tisk tisk.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 03:49 AM

"Jackson’s manager/trainer, Juanito Ibarra, did not immediately return phone calls"

I am not suprised- he did say before the Griffin fight that he would retire if Griffin beat Rampage, so I should think he was busy in a job interview

i would have loved to have heard the police response in the patrol vehicle when they ran the License plate and it came back to Rampage Jackson. "Better skip the tazer and go straight to the side arm fellas"
Posted by: Aesir

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 05:24 AM

I would of thought they had that thought when they saw the massive picture of Rampage on his car.

On the countdown to the Griffin rampage fight one of Rampages brothers said he got his nickname as he just used to loose control of his temper and go on a rampage when he was a kid.

Seems like he might need to go back to anger management.

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 09:03 AM

Rampage arrested again. Didn't see the point in making a new thread.

Rampage arrested again

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 10:21 AM

Wow. A danger to himself? I hope he can get things back together. I don't ever like to hear about that kind of stuff.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 10:46 AM

Quote:

Wow. A danger to himself?

Who'd a thunk it? He must have been training hard- he wasn't even a threat to Forrest 2 weeks ago! ZZZZING!!!!!!!
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 10:52 AM

Self destructive. Perhaps he believed all of the hype about himself and now just cannot deal with the loss to Forrest, a fighter created on a TV show. He is not handling this well and this gives the UFC a black eye for sure; Dana White is probably not taking this well and I'm sure there will be a sit down set up where he will be told to get things together or it will be bye bye.

Rampage is charismatic and a funny guy but obviously he is also mentally unstable. I hope he gets things together.
Posted by: Novum

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 11:33 AM

LOL
Thats the most hilariously insensitive thing I've seen in a long time.
Had to give you props for the cheap laugh.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 01:03 PM

Quote:

Self destructive. Perhaps he believed all of the hype about himself and now just cannot deal with the loss to Forrest, a fighter created on a TV show. He is not handling this well and this gives the UFC a black eye for sure; Dana White is probably not taking this well and I'm sure there will be a sit down set up where he will be told to get things together or it will be bye bye.

Rampage is charismatic and a funny guy but obviously he is also mentally unstable. I hope he gets things together.

I've always found that Rampage was pretty humble about losing. He'll be the first guy to say "I got my ass whooped"

I think that this just shows how invested MMA fighters are in their fights. It seems like almost every other pay per view, or maybe even every single pay per view, has a fighter crying when they lose. Some rare instances have fighters crying as they're walking out to the octagon before the fight even starts.

Aside from boxing I think there are very few sports where an athlete puts absolutely everything they have for a six month period into one event. Perhaps state athletic commissions should have a sports psychologist chat with each fighter post fight just the same as they have a doctor do a quick look. A simple 15 minute chat by a professional could maybe help bypass these sort of career ending "rampages"

It would be a shame if this ended Rampage's run in the UFC because the guy is obviously not in his right mind. He is definitely not a thug and doesn't behave like this normally.

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/18/08 05:11 PM

People who get paid to beat each other up are not of the same mind as everyone else. Its bound to catch up with you sometimes.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/19/08 12:20 AM

Quote:

People who get paid to beat each other up are not of the same mind as everyone else. Its bound to catch up with you sometimes.

right, because only violent, mentally unstable people train to fight, and then put that training to use against another consenting adult.

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/19/08 08:11 AM

Quote:

Totally untrue. All professional athletes - indeed, anyone doing anything at a high level - are subject to the same kind of pressure, not just fighters.
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/20/08 12:22 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that fighters are regular people just like us, and this may have absolutely nothing to do with his career. We all have personal problems of some nature, and like Rampage, we don't all deal with them well.

The reality is at this point we have no idea of what's really going, so let's hope the poor guy can get his issues ironed out, whatever they are, fight related or not, and see him back in the ring again, and more importantly back to doing to doing what he needs to do to take care of himself and his family.

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/20/08 01:11 PM

Nice to see you stop by, BR.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to get at earlier. People put into any high-pressure scenario can crack - Britney Spears, anyone? Not just fighters.

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/20/08 02:12 PM

I'm not saying there not normal or unstable in a bad way but you have to have the right mind to be able to cause pain to other people, some people just can't do, it others can.

I know when I have had matches in the past (only at my club) that you just have to block out the other stuff and if you start to worry what you're doing to the other person that is when they catch you out.

I think that doing it for a career can be more mentally draining than other stuff and thus can make people more subjected to an outburst, especially if they have a history of mental problems/"rampages". Doesn't mean they're bad people. But as you say I can't realistically compare it to anything else just what I think.
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: Rampage Arrested - 07/21/08 03:41 AM

i bet he was on drugs. He just lost a fight, doesn't have to get tested for a while. Depressed from the fight. Makes sense to me, we don't need Dr. Phil here.