Silva vs. Irvin

Posted by: BrianS

Silva vs. Irvin - 07/08/08 11:22 PM

Anderson Silva is moving up to 205 and fighting James "The Sandman" Irvin July 19th.

I think Silva is making a mistake, but I have been wrong before. It has been said that he walks around at 215lbs, but what do most 205lb guys walk around as? 230 or more?

Irvin is inconsistent at best,but I don't think Silva should take this lightly.

Silva for the win. 2nd round TKO or submission.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Silva vs. Irvin - 07/09/08 03:59 AM

Even if you only give Irvin a punchers chance, the punches involved in that chance are going to be heavier than Silva is used to taking.
I would expect Silva to utilise his ground game quickly in this one, and not risk a stand-up upset.
Silva by TKO or submission in 2nd round.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Silva vs. Irvin - 07/14/08 05:31 PM

Does anyone know what Irvin's ground-game is like, LOL? I think Silva has a good chance even in the stand-up, assuming he goes more than 8 seconds. I'll go Silva by submission in the 2nd.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Silva vs. Irvin - 07/14/08 06:10 PM

He was able to deal with Franklin.. twice. Now, he's not as big as the guys in the 205 division, but he's been known as a relatively good power hitter; winning most of the fights I saw him win with just that. Silva was able to out strike him mainly using his clinching ability. I think he could do the same to Irvin. And if Irvin started to slip some strikes in, it's easy enough to go the the ground if you're already clinched.

My money would be on Silva by similar means as the way he fought Franklin. Then agian, as you say, does anyone know how good Irvin's ground game is? But, 1 year ago I wouldn't have bet on anyone handling Lidel either. (that day felt like some1 had just killed Supermman to me) So who knows?
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Silva vs. Irvin - 07/14/08 06:22 PM

Quote:

does anyone know how good Irvin's ground game is?

I remember that Stephan Bonnar popped and cracked his shoulder with a ude garami, but Irvin hung in there for quite a while with it sunk. That was quite a while ago though, things could be different now.

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/20/08 10:30 AM

Wow, just like the Fedor fight! Who wants to see Silva vs Fedor?

On a related note, do you all think there will ever be a cross-over title match between organizations? WEC, UFC, Affliction, etc?

Vids while they last:

http://www.mmascraps.com/

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/20/08 12:15 PM

I just watched a pre-fight interview, and what I thought was really interesting is that Irvin said he was going to beat Silva in the clinch. The fight never got that far, but I'm curious to know what would have happened in the clinch, given that Irving was so confident in his statement.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/21/08 12:13 PM

Quote:

On a related note, do you all think there will ever be a cross-over title match between organizations? WEC, UFC, Affliction, etc?

Isn't WEC owned by the UFC? In that case it wouldn't be that surprising to see fighters crossing the divide. As for Affliction, the UFC's hostile and aggressive reaction to Affliction Banned(deliberately scheduling a show to damage Affliction's debut ratings) is enough to tell me that a partnership isn't on the cards for the near future.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/21/08 12:56 PM

Definitely not ever going to happen. Dana did not like them starting up and also losing Big John to them; not to mention many fighters. He has banned the wearing of their apparel within the UFC. Knowing that they had their PPV he ran a "free" show to directly compete with it. I heard rumors that if Affliction did not make enough money to cover the costs of their "Banned" show that they may even call it quits as it was the most expensive show put out.

Unlike Pride and purchasing it; and also running the WEC, Affliction Dana would sooner have go bankrupt or fail then have anything to do with it or purchase it. Right now from watching the last show, the UFC does not have any real competition yet; we shall see what happens in the very near future.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/21/08 02:06 PM

Quote:

Wow, just like the Fedor fight! Who wants to see Silva vs Fedor?

I tell you what I would love to see- a UFC 'superfight' at an agreed catchweight between Sylva and GSP. I think that would possibly be the defining moment in MMA thus far should it happen.

I thought it was crazy that that fight on the undercard (cant remember the names) should be awarded a TKO in favour of a fighter who blatantly used eye-pokes. Saying he was trying to use heel of hand strikes is all well and good, but those were nowhere near to looking like open hand strikes, and the last one was a closed fist till the last minute. Still, its good ammo for the TMA 'I poke concrete blocks for 8 hours a day' crowd

As for Sylva, just incredible. I am sure we have all caught a kick and given the kicker a slap when in sparring, or mucking about, but to do it to a top class fighter in a full contact environment, and to knock the guy out on his feet (foot?) in the process is just ridiculous- it was like something out of a cheesy 80's MA movie, only real, making it wonderful beyond all other wonderful things

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/21/08 05:15 PM

Cord, Anderson "The Spider" Silva vs. George "Rush" St. Pierre would be a phenomenal fight however I can't see it happening but one could dream.

Silva to move up a weight class to the 205 was probably not as hard as it would be to move down to the Welterweight Class. He still would be a force to reckon with however it would probably take a lot out of him. BUT he would do a lot of damage and since I'm a GSP fan through and through, I'd want to give the win to George and I would be cheering for him 110% however I wouldn't count out Silva one bit and fearfully would think he might win.

The eye poke incident and the guy won; I thought like others that there would have been a disqualification as he had been warned once already. That is like kicking the guy in the nuts and getting a warning and then doing it a couple of more times and when the guy can no longer continue to award the win to the guy standing. That was totally wrong.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/22/08 04:17 AM

in my opinion if silva moved down a weight class and fought GSP we would see another matt serra incident at some point
Nothing against GSP he is an athlete and a half i just dont think his striking and jujitsu is as good as silvas.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/22/08 07:06 AM

Concerning GSP's jiu-jitsu; that he submitted Matt Hughes is enough evidence for ME regarding his skills.

I think he can still improve his striking a bit, but in terms of his grappling, I feel he's a class ahead of the majority. You don't take D1 guys like Hughes and Koscheck down (multiple times) by accident.
Posted by: shills11

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/22/08 07:25 AM

Silva walks around at about 220-225 pounds as his natural weight, so cutting 40 pounds to get to 185 cant be easy for him, could he cut anymore and not effect his performance? I'm not sure, I think the only way GSP v Silva would happen would be at 185
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/22/08 07:51 AM

Agreed, Silva isn't getting any lighter than 185lb unless he starts amputating limbs.

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/22/08 08:55 AM

Cord -

Agreed 100% on the eyepoke thing. He should have been disqualified. That was a travesty.

JKogas -

GSP needs better striking? Better than who?
Posted by: shills11

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/23/08 07:25 AM

"Better than who?"

at welter, Thiago Alves IMO
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/23/08 09:40 AM

Just came across this article after reading about the Rampage arrest...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=At...e&type=lgns

Numbers seem pretty good to give UFC a run for their money...

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/23/08 11:27 AM

Anything new always seems to get the attention and will show good numbers however over the long haul will it do the same; that is the question. I suspect, as history has shown, that this won't always be repeatable.

Why did the article only show UFC events 76,73 and 59?

UFC 76: Liddell vs. Jardin
UFC 73: Silva vs. Marquart
UFC 59: Arlovski vs. Sylvia

These were not huge draw fights and they only took these numbers because it best suited them to do so. Fight cards such as Matt Hughes/GSP or Randy Couture/Tim Sylvia or Tito Ortiz/Chuck Liddell or Rich Franklin/Anderson Silva or GSP/Matt Sera or Chuck Liddell/Rampage Jackson and many more probably blew these numbers out of the water. How come they didn't quote those UFC events?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Silva vs. Irvin *SPOILERS* - 07/23/08 01:19 PM

Good point and I thought the same after I posted. Why just those UFC's.