Watch and predict ufc fights *now with spoilers*

Posted by: BrianS

Watch and predict ufc fights *now with spoilers* - 07/04/08 01:11 PM

@ www.mmaprime.com

I'm going with Jackson for the main event. KO in 2nd!
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Watch and predict ufc fights - 07/04/08 01:46 PM

I think stoppage from strikes in the second
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Watch and predict ufc fights - 07/04/08 01:54 PM

Jackson for me too, the guy is a great fighter and I think he has real star quality. The UFC has really missed a trick having him out of action for over a year. At least on TUF people were able to see just how much charisma and personality Rampage has, something I saw when he was commentating on Pride a few years back. The guy is seriously funny, and has a bright future on both sides of the Octagon.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Watch and predict ufc fights - 07/04/08 03:53 PM

Griffin on points after a war. Close verdict. Will draw some booing, but his continual aggression and spoiling ground work will win through.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Watch and predict ufc fights - 07/04/08 06:34 PM

I'm with Cord here, predicting a decision in favor of Griffin.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Watch and predict ufc fights - 07/05/08 11:01 PM

I'm with Jackson if it they stay standing or if he is in Griffin's Guard or Jackson gets the mount. Griffin can take a lot of punishment and I think thats his weakness in this fight is that in the past he could take punishment and keep coming not in this fight Jackson hits Harder Liddell IMHO.

I take Griffin if it becomes a ground war of nuturtion & staimina Griffins improved guard game may be too much for Jackson if he can't mount or stay standing.

If it stays Standing and Griffin tries to plow in good night crazy Prince. I may give kicking to Griffin but Grappling standing I hope Foresst has a hard head, bodyslam city for Jackson. Forrest maybe fight someone Crazy then himself.

[b]Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler[/b] - 07/06/08 02:59 AM

Show Cord and the Kogas some love!!

The official judges score the bout 48-46, 48-46 and 49-46 for Forrest Griffin.

Well done Forrest, cant wait to see it, sounds like a good one
Posted by: shills11

Re: [b]Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler[/b] - 07/06/08 08:21 AM

Fantastic fight

I cant believe Griffin is still being underestimated I've been on other forums and they're outraged calling it a fix and that Rampage easily outpointed Griffin!???!??!?!??!

NO.

Thats all I really have to say about them.

Well done Forrest great gameplan to take away Rampages base and power Rampage looked like novice off his back. and just lay there for about 3:00 mins. in round 2.

War Forrest

Here's the fight and some more.

http://www.mmascraps.com/2008/07/quinton-jackson-vs-forrest-griffin.html

Re: [b]Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler[/b] - 07/06/08 08:30 AM

What can I say? It happened just like I thought it would. The second round was total domination by Griffin. The rest were close. Easy decision to make.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 09:26 AM

Good fight. Props to both guys. Rampage for his heart - the guy is probably in a wheelchair today from those leg kicks - and Forrest for his skills. I won't be underestimating Forrest anymore.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 12:36 PM

I thought the decision was bad. I am a fan of Forrest but Rampages defense was too sound. He ran a clinic of slipping and blocking. I had the fight 3-2 Rampage. Dana White was even standing behind Rampage ready to put the belt on him. Rounds 4 and 5 Forrest had nothing behind any strikes.

The problem is that defense doesn't win a cage fight. I am just shocked that is all.

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 01:03 PM

That's absolutely right, defense doesn't win fights.

I thought Jackson won the first round. However the second round was complete domination by Griffin. Rounds 3 through 5 were too close to call for either side. I thought they were about even. After watching that fight, I don't think Rampage did enough to win. But that's my opinion.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 01:05 PM

Agreed. I gave the fight to Forrest as well by the end. When you watch many of the scuffles in slow motion Rampage did not make clean hits as Forrest was slipping in and out. Fantastic job by Forrest; BIG CONGRADS.

However when it was over not a big deal was made over this like other title fights. This I was disappointed with.

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 01:55 PM

Yeah, it looked like Forrest either covered up against many of those shots or evaded them. His game plan was perfect. He stayed disciplined and used his reach, playing the outside game.

Whenever Rampage closed the gap to fire the uppercuts and hooks, that's when he did most of the damage that he did. However I noticed that Forrest scored on some of those close exchanges as well. Between that, the leg kicks and the ground and pound, Forrest did enough to outscore Jackson.

I realize there's an old saying that, to be the champ you have to beat the champ (decisively). But I thought Griffin did that. When you lose a fight, you lose a fight; champ or not. There's no way you should retain a belt when you didn't do enough to score a win.

-John

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 02:23 PM

Quote:

When you lose a fight, you lose a fight; champ or not. There's no way you should retain a belt when you didn't do enough to score a win.

Agreed. I have never understood that 'champ advantage' logic, though I understand that such favouritism exists.

At the end of the day, Rampage may have believed his own hype a little - his trainer, in the pre-fight build up interviews said outright 'If Rampage loses to Griffin, I will retire'. There is self confidence, an there is setting yourself up for a fall by surrounding yourself with sycophantic fanboys.

Griffin is an amiable man, with a nice line in wit and self deprication, but he is a fiercly determined, highly conditioned, highly skilled, lunatic when the bell goes.
He always reminds me of that line in 'Any which way you can' when Bill Smith tells Filo 'you eat pain like candy'. Thats Forrest to a tee, and as a fan, you cant ask for a more exciting fighter. He thoroughly deserves his success.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 03:45 PM

No matter what the outcome it was an amazing fight to watch. Those are the kind of fights that fans keep coming back for.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 05:14 PM

WOW!!! What a super fight!

I tried my best to keep score through the fight, and this is what I got:

10-9 Rampage
10-8 Griffin
10-10
10-9 Rampage
10-10

The match was razor thin close. I gave it as a draw, but you could see it either way. Joe Rogan made a stupid comment in the third, where he said Griffin was winning because Jackson had not been close to winning the fight- hate to tell you buddy, but in decisions it doesn't matter how close you are to winning the fight, it matters how you score in each round. You can have the best round in history, but if you can't finish the guy and then he proceeds to out score you in the other rounds(even if only by a small margin), you've lost.

I thought both fighters came out with great game plans and most of the time followed them well. I can't agree with John's supposition that Rampage took Griffin lightly, Rampage fought a great fight; as did Griffin. Really it was my favourite heavy weight fight since Jackson-Henderson, and it's saying quite a lot that I liked it, because I'm not a big fan of the heavier divisions.

I expect it doesn't really matter who comes out with the belt this time, there will be a rematch for sure in the near future, if the UFC can get it's act together and not keep Rampage out of action for over a year!
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 06:13 PM

Congrat Forrest New Champion that's how you stick with a game plan, Excellent game plan using your body type against his!! You did what you said you would do.

Good show Quintin but champ you can't always depend on your power and wrestling.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 06:29 PM

Quote:

Whenever Rampage closed the gap to fire the uppercuts and hooks, that's when he did most of the damage that he did. However I noticed that Forrest scored on some of those close exchanges as well. Between that, the leg kicks and the ground and pound, Forrest did enough to outscore Jackson.

Agreed. Although not as powerful as Jackson, Forrest was working on the inside quite well - check all the knee strikes to Jackson's body when they clinched.

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/06/08 09:14 PM

No doubt! Jackson has much more power in his hands. I was waiting for one punch to change the course of the entire fight. I think that's where Griffin's discipline played such an important part. He really stayed patient. I was impressed with his continued maturation.

Re: Jackson vs Griffin Spoiler - 07/07/08 04:58 AM

As well as a definite evolution of skill, forrest definately profited from his concrete head in this fight- there were at least 3 shots that rocked him significantly, but his ability to recover and clear his head is bordering on unnatural.

Keeping Rampage at range is easier said than done, and he deserves major props for managing it, and from there, those leg kicks were just awesome- another point- how many body and head kicks did he try?! The fact that rampage never read any of them shows how much Griffin was enforcing his gameplan on the fight.

Anyone else think that Cote v Almeida was the dullest thing since Arlovski v Sylvia 2 ?

Joe 'Daddy' Stevenson continues to impress.

Kotchek continues to emulate Ortiz in more than just hair colour (when its not stained with blood! )

A definate improvement in refereeing in this UFC, all seemed a bit calmer, and allowed the fights to happen.

Good stuff.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Watch and predict ufc fights *now with spoilers* - 07/07/08 09:31 PM

Wow, great fight!

Props to Cord and John!!

From reading all the comments on the video people need a reality check. They need to see what they see instead of what they want to see.
Forrest clearly won,even Quinton knows that. "Forrest whooped my ass!" Rampage is very classy and humble and hella funny!!