everyone HATES the jockstrap!

Posted by: Ktulu

everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 01:46 AM

Ok, so I have a problem with jockstraps, and I am too embarassed to ask anybody face to face. My problem is its TOO uncomfortable! It hurts! I have a 32 waist and was told I needed a medium. The brand is "ONE". It leaves the nastiest bruises where my thighs meet my groin and its really a distraction during my MMA and Im wondering why? Do I need a size bigger? Does the brand suck ? and if so could someone recomend a more comfortable brandname?Or maybe I wear it wrong, but Ive tried just jockstrap with shorts overtop, and ive tried boxerbriefs with jock overtop then shorts overtop. the briefs seem to bunch up and its still very uncomfortable.
Or...maybe its just one of those things that everyone hates, but you have to learn to ignore??? This may sound like a dumb question to some, but I dont care. I need to know. Your help is very appreciated. Thank you.
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 02:30 AM

haha, I asked a bunch of people face to face when a similar thing happened to me, expect mine were nasty rubbin sores, not bruises. I got some pretty cocky replies and no one really helped.

All I did was just wear it over top my boxers and that did the trick. Sounds like you tried that though, but maybe try to arrange it so your boxers don't bunch up.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 02:42 AM

Quote:

I got some pretty cocky replies and no one really helped.

"cocky" replies indeed.

Posted by: trevek

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 06:30 AM

Quote:

Does the brand suck ?

I wouldn't complain if it did

Seriously, th advice about the boxers might be an idea. When I was sparring TKD we usually just put it over the top of our dobok trousers. Might just need some material to stop the rubbing.

Otherwise, I'd seriously ask the pretty young girl in the shop about it.
Posted by: shoveldog

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 07:12 AM

Check out Shock Doctor cups and supporters. That's the brand that's always worked best for me, and a lot of the guys I train with agree.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 07:37 AM

I just got some Under Armor compression shorts and cup. While it actually feels a bit looser than the old regular jockstrap I used to wear, it is much more comfortable, and never moves around in free-rolling.
Posted by: shoveldog

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 08:28 AM

Same deal with the Shock Doctor compression shorts and cup, which is what I use. No straps to rub you raw, and the cup doesn't pinch or anything like that.
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 09:40 AM

dang maybe i'll pick up the compressions shorts now too. Oh for the discussions about jockstraps........
Posted by: Dereck

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 10:29 AM

Good thread; seriously. I've tried different ones and find that they cut into my legs and are very uncomfortable. When doing an armbar and arching my back while pulling down on the arm I've found great discomfort with the ones I've tried so have opted not to wear one even in tournaments where they are called for. I've seen the ones Matt had talked about but always stayed away do to the price but I think that I will take the plunge none the less as comfort has not cost.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 10:58 AM

probably a good idea Dereck and I am sure the wife will thank ya. Cuz one good hit or pinch it all over.

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 01:32 PM

I'm fixed and have been since around 1996 so probably wouldn't be an issue as I'm not producing.
Posted by: harlan

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 01:34 PM

And you were broken before?

Quote:

I'm fixed and have been since around 1996

Re: everyone HATES the jockstrap! - 05/07/08 01:39 PM

Harlan I'm sure that many people will detest that I was broken.