Grappling Dummies--Useful?

Posted by: Aezed

Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/14/08 05:05 AM

Hi, I just started taking BJJ classes about 3 months ago. I only have time to go twice per week, since I train a stand-up style MWF. I was wondering if I could do some useful drills with a grappling dummy.

I have seen them advertised on various sites, but was unsure as to their usefulness, especially considering how expensive most of them are.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/14/08 08:45 AM

Meh. Personally, I don't see the need, since the resistance offered by a partner cannot be repliated on a dummy. However, they can be a good strength workout. Ironically, Xibalba just a somewhat similar thread here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15984371

I think BrianS made his own grappling dummy to work on, so you could try PMing him, too.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/14/08 06:46 PM

Yep, I made mine. It's a good workout when you don't have a partner to work with. You can make up a whole workout routine with one. Pick it up, throw it, slams, GNP, takedowns, etc...

p.s. Watch out for coffeetables.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/14/08 11:15 PM

They are very useful.
I was also going to reccomend the thread on solo BJJ training mentioned above. Some drills with the dummy coupled with ideas from this thread should get moving along pretty good.
Posted by: BrianRVanCise

Re: Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/15/08 08:39 AM

I made my own training dummy and use it once in awhile. It certainly cannot take the place of a partner but you can do things with it that you cannot do with a live partner. Ie. Throws where you drop your opponent on their head. Not to many partners appreicate that!
Posted by: Glockmeister

Re: Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/15/08 12:35 PM

Brian how did you go about making it?
Posted by: BrianRVanCise

Re: Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/15/08 02:19 PM

Quote:

Brian how did you go about making it?

Okay I used rattan for the bones with hinges that move in the same direction as our joints do. After this I then used duck tape preceded by some large foam that I had lying around. Then I shaped the rest using duck tape. Roughly it is about seventy five pounds or so and wears a black jiujitsu gi and wrestling shoes. The face is also padded, etc. so that eyes, nose, etc. are distinguishable. I built it for about forty dollars tops. (really I only spent about fifteen dollars as the rest was lying around) All in all it is a good tool to use and have around.

you can work knee on stomach and striking techniques on it. Chokes and more. I even fashioned mine so that it can be hanged and hold tools so that I can swing the rattan at it. It takes a beating and keeps coming back for more.

Now I had mentioned earlier that I do alot of throws in there most combative manner meaning that I am trying to place the head/spine in a vertical manner and driving it straight down into the ground.(top of the head) Think Hip Throw but with a drive so that the head meets the ground first. This you cannot do with a training partner but you absolutely can do with a dummy.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Grappling Dummies--Useful? - 02/15/08 06:24 PM

You could do the same things with a standard heavy bag that you could with a more expensive training dummy. Plus as the bag is more awkward to grab, it actually works you harder.

Just a thought.

-John