Solo BJJ workout

Posted by: Xibalba

Solo BJJ workout - 02/12/08 08:49 PM

Greetings!

We all know that you can't really train in BJJ on your own. However, with necessity (a once-a-week in the gym schedule, a 9 months pregnant wife, lots of Michigan snow days) being the mother of invention, I have come up with a nice little solo routine that I feel keeps me in decent grappling condition, as well as lets me drill some basic movements that I use quite a bit in rolling.

Here is my little workout. It takes about 40-50 minutes from start to finish (depending on how many water breaks I need). I would love to get some feedback from the more experienced grapplers, especially if you all know some other solo movement/conditioning drills I could incorporate.

Warmup: 100 jumping jacks or 3 min. jumping rope.

Next I do 3 min. each of the following floor exercises, with about 30 sec rest between each interval:
- shrimps
- shrimps to knees
- explosive upas with 80lb heavy bag on my hips
- upa to knees
- Kimura exercise (I simulate the motion of the kimura from the guard - bridging up on one elbow and the opposite knee and grabbing the wrist on the ground with my opposite hand, as if I were setting up the submission)
- Hip bridge/thrust to knees (I don't know the name of this, but we do it occasionally in warm-ups. Sit on your rear with your feet flat and knees up in front of you. Shift/drop your knees to the left, bringing them to the mat. Continue the motion and sit up on your knees, thrusting your hips forward until you are up on your knees and your thighs are perpendicular to the floor. Sit back down and repeat to the right. Do not use your hands).

So far these take about 20-25 minutes. For the next 25 minutes or so I use my heavy bag as a grappling dummy. I work the following movements:

- side control/sit out to mount.
- armbar from mount (as performed in
this link ).
- knee on belly (as performed in the above link).
- step-around armbar from knee on belly.

I end up with a few minutes of stretching and loosening up my hips, which usually feel like they have gotten a good workout by this time.

Although I cannot work on some of the more subtle BJJ skills like balance, timing, etc. on my own, I can say with confidence that some of my movement on the mat has improved since I have found a way to practice some on my own. My armbar from mount, for example, feels pretty darn smooth, and I have been landing those pretty consistently when I spar in class once per week.

Again, any feedback or new ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/13/08 08:47 AM

Hey, great link, Mike! Saw some good stuf on there. I like the bag/upa idea - that sounds like a good workout.

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/13/08 10:11 AM

One edit:

- Kimura exercise (I simulate the motion of the kimura from the guard - bridging up on one elbow and the opposite FOOT and grabbing the wrist on the ground with my opposite hand, as if I were setting up the submission)

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/13/08 10:13 AM

Thanks Matt!

If you know of any other conditioning/movement drills, please let me know. I am always trying to keep my training lively and fresh when I cannot make it to the gym.

Now if I can only teach my heavy bag to spar with me, I would be set

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/14/08 09:17 AM

Hi mike,

I can't recommend the following drill more. Has done wonders for me being able to keep my weight into my opponent. Great thing with this drill is the more you push into the ball the more it pushes back. Fantastic work out. If you keep the intensity low you can work control and technique. If you up the tempo it gives you one hell of a 5 minute roll!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cNvpIamQOE

Gav

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/14/08 10:59 AM

Awesome find Gavin! I have one of these balls, too. I will definitely be incorporating this into my home workout routine.

Keep them coming, folks! My daughter is scheduled to be born via C-section tomorrow AM , which will mean at least a couple weeks away from the gym (and working out on my own) for me. Unless I can get some rolling partners in my basement, solo drills are all I will get...

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/14/08 11:07 AM

Hey congrats mate! All the best to you and your lady....and obviously the new born en route tomorrow morning!

Once you start playing with the ball you can really really take a lot deeper than the stuff in the clip. As well as working it on the ground stick it against the wall on and you can really work some close in clinch stuff as well. Fabulous for developing your head control and shrugging abilities. Also great for static isometric pushing/driving development as well. We've conjured up loads and loads of drills with these balls. Hopefully once we get some time we'll stick a few on video.

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/14/08 11:07 AM

Good luck and congrats, Mike!
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/14/08 04:05 PM

Mike,

it sounds like a great work out that will help any martial artist who can't always make it to train with others.
We just had a week of flooding and bad icy raods that kept people home, dry and safe. I would love to hear that my students did these kinds of things when the had good reasons to not come to class.
There is also some other good infomration provided.
The key here is that you are keeping in shape and developing useful skills and you have not lost touch with the reality that there are some intricate skills that can only be developed by working out with another person.

Thanks for sharing your workout.

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/14/08 08:01 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cNvpIamQOE

Great find, Gav!
Posted by: shoveldog

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/17/08 08:20 AM

Good thread, guys. I'm always looking for new ways to drill solo. Working basic movements away from the gym really helps my game.
Posted by: BrianRVanCise

Re: Solo BJJ workout - 02/17/08 04:41 PM

Hi Mike looks like you have found a good way to stay in shape when you cannot get to the training hall.

Some things you could add in would be some medicine ball work, free squats, push ups, sprawls, Plus you can take just about any technique and work it into a solo technique. If you can get a grappling dummy that can help as well. Also do not neglect your stretching. If you look at the best BJJ players out there in general they are very flexible. Though in the end nothing beats working with live training partners.