UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers)

Posted by: Aesir

UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/20/08 12:50 PM

Living in the Uk it was the first UFC event I was able to watch live; because apparently my tv channel package has Setanta sports on it which I was unaware of and they have just made a deal with ufc for exclusive rights to programming I think.

Anyway what were all of your thoughts on this? I thought it was really good with Stevenson and Penn by far being my fave fight of the night- although I like BJ I thought his arrogant remarks at the end about sean sherk ruined his victory.
Posted by: BrianRVanCise

Re: UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/20/08 01:13 PM

Penn looks awesome. Though he needs as always to work that cardio. It will be interesting to see the Sherk vs. Penn fight in the near future. I did not like the comments by either Penn or Sherk.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/20/08 01:45 PM

Again Penn's cardio comes into question. The guy could barely stand up and he fought less then 2 rounds. He tried to lean on the ref. He leaned on his guys. He leaned on Joe Rogan. he had a hard time walking back to his dressing room. Against Sherk who has phenominal cardio, Penn doesn't stand a chance as he can't out muscle him so he had better finish the fight early if he can.

A lot of quick fights and it was an okay card however not the best card I've seen. The next card doesn't appear to be much better and in my opinion, the free card on Wednesday coming up stands a better chance of having better fights.

Re: UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/20/08 02:32 PM

I think Penn will have improved his cardio for the sherk fight, endurance takes a long time to build up substanially and now apparently he has a new work ethic etc. I reckon it will be improved by then provided he is training like he says he is-least he isn't fat anymore.

What did you guys think of the stoppage in the fight after?-I can't remember who fought but the fighter seemed pretty upset the fight got stopped. I thought it was a good call by the ref.
Posted by: BrianRVanCise

Re: UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/20/08 02:54 PM

Penn needs to have great cardio for that next fight other wise it could be a really tough one for him.
Posted by: shills11

Re: UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/21/08 07:11 AM

I made the 400 mile round trip to go to the event, I'm not sure if it was televised but paul taylor vs paul kelly was the most exciting opening to any fight i've seen in a long time, i'll try and find a link for it somewhere,

I was realy disaponted with gonzaga and liaudin, gonzaga just gave up, he nearly put werdrum away and he blew it,

Liaudin should know better than dropping his hands that low when throwing kicks especially against Davis

Re: UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/22/08 07:06 AM

The clash of pauls was really enjoyable to watch-yes it was broadcasted.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: UFC 80 Rapid Fire-thoughts?(spoilers) - 01/22/08 04:46 PM

I think Penn's conditioning was excellent. Apparent fatigue afterward was simply the result of an overwhelming onslaught of pressure that he put on Stevenson. Correctly apportioned, he did what he needed to do. He pressed the action and used everything to finish it as quickly and decisively as possible. I don't think it's realistic to expect him to run over Joe Stevenson that way without it taking it's toll. In Penn's case, his timing was perfect.

Gonzaga was a disappointment and one reason I don't like too many HW matches that go past the first round. He seemed in total control on the feet but after the first standup, he was out of gas.