Trash talking in mma

Posted by: BrianS

Trash talking in mma - 01/07/08 11:06 PM

Posted by: JKogas

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/08/08 07:02 AM

I think the only reason for trash talking is to get the audience riled up, not the fighters. I mean at that stage, you shouldn't be overly affected by trash talk on the negative side of the equation. I believe it only fires guys up to fight that much harder. It certainly shouldn't rattle your confidence because honestly, the vast majority of those guys think they are going to win or they probably wouldn't be in there in the first place (for the most part).

Trash talking is to get the UFC fans in a tizzy (mostly Walmart shoppers and WWE fanatics...one and the same really). I highly doubt it psyches-out the guys opponents all that much really to the point where it throws them off their game. If thats the case, they have no business in the ring.

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/08/08 09:29 AM

Ditto what John said. Unlikely that pro fighters are really going to get too riled by talk. More for the fans, IMHO.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/08/08 09:40 AM

It indicates the attitudes & mentality(ies) of its players. For PRECISELY that specific reason, I do not watch it.

Pathetically childish... obscenely undignified, pretty disgusting....

J
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/08/08 09:44 AM

Quote:

It indicates the attitudes & mentality(ies) of its players. For PRECISELY that specific reason, I do not watch it.

J

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on. Most of the fighters doing the trash talking don't even believe it. It's for show.
Posted by: shills11

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/08/08 09:46 AM

"For PRECISELY that specific reason, I do not watch it."

Thats a shame, They dont all trash talk, no more than you'd see in your average boxing bout. Most of the guys are very respectfull
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/08/08 12:39 PM

Trash talking does happen and some people can feed off it. However those that I know that do fight MMA say when they are tapped up they are only thinking of the fight and there is no emotion. Walking down to the ring they have tunnel vision and don't even see the people around them. When in the ring they are focused and they are prepared to fight and it wouldn't matter who is in front of them. The build up with trash talking and those few that still trash talk afterwards, this does happen and the Melvin Gillard fight was a prime example of that. In the ring however, a fight is a fight and it could be anybody so at that point I believe it rarely affects things.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/08/08 02:27 PM

Quote:

For PRECISELY that specific reason, I do not watch it.

J

If people don't watch MMA because of those reasons, they must not watch any sports at all.

-John
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/09/08 01:24 AM

I would bet 99% of trash talk is MMA is like trash talk in boxing: a way to rile up target audiences, not fighters. Most fighters don't even know each other that well.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Trash talking in mma - 01/09/08 01:29 AM

How about on TUF? They seem to do alot of it and there have been mixed results.