MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous

MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 12/07/07 09:01 AM

Im currently in York pa and looking for MMa ground trainning. I have been taking shotokan karate lightly but i have time and i wish to learn as much ground work as i can. York is a difficult place to find this and im asking if anyone has any info or help please reply ti my email- undecided1775@hotmail.com Thank you
Posted by: MattJ

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 12/07/07 09:43 AM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15972494

You can also check out BJJ at www.LFMAC.com in Lancaster.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 12/07/07 10:16 AM

ty if i had a car i would have been in LFMAC a long time ago lol you will see me when i get me license thats a promise
Posted by: ToddR

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 12/12/07 11:39 AM

There is a group of guys that trains MMA at Gold's Gym North York. George McGinnis heads up the group. Call Gold's for more information or let me know if you need help getting in touch with George. They train Mon, Wed, Fri starting at around 8PM. Also, there is a free BJJ seminar there tonight at 8PM. The subject is sweeps from various positions.
Posted by: musicalmike235

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 12/16/07 06:31 PM

I thought MMA was still illegal in New York. Did they finally get rid of that law?

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 01/17/08 06:35 PM

York, PA not New York. As for the legality of MMA fights in PA, check out Ted Czech's blog (http://www.yorkblog.com/mma/) Ted is a reporter for the York Daily Record and a big MMA fan. He's on top of the legislation that concerns sanctioned MMA fights in the state.

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 01/17/08 06:58 PM

There is a new kenpo karate school in York that also teaches the Israeli self defense system called 'Haganah' aka 'FIGHT'. They also offer an MMA class on M,W,F from 8:30 to 9:45. Mon is standup, Wed is grappling, Fri is both. They offer good standup instruction but their ground instruction is basic BJJ (I should know because I've been helping teach the grappling class and I'm a mid-level white belt in BJJ who trains mostly gi and am definitely NOT an MMA fighter!) Seriously though, this is a good school with a really nice owner, Sibora Chan. He's a life-long martial artist and it's great to have another MA/MMA school in York. We need it! What I would love to happen is for a group of dedicated beginning to intermediate students train there consistently in a spirit of everyone helping everyone else learn as much as they can. Lord knows I'm limited in what I can offer but I'm honest about that. It would be cool, too, if more experienced grapplers and MMA fighters in the area would be willing to stop by the classes occasionally to share their knowledge and help the group progress. I know a handful of really good grapplers in York and, while some of them have scheduling conflicts with Mr. Chan's classes due to their own training and teaching committments, I'm sure they will do what they can to help out a new group of guys who are eager to learn all they can. I love the "no ego" type MA school, and this is definitely one of them. Hope to see you all at an upcoming class (yes, that's a plea for help!
Contact Mr. Sibora Chan at 717-751-4800 for more information.
Posted by: JasonSig

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 01/25/08 01:20 AM

I am looking to get into MMA, I have no experience really at all so I would be a complete novice. I have seen something on here about Ki Karate and now this place, where is it located? I appreciate any information in advance.

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 01/25/08 10:37 AM

Call the number for directions. I think Chan moved the school from where it originally was (Shrewsbury?). Or PM ToddR. He is the go-to guy for BJJ/MMA in York.

I am time-limited, but you can PM me, too.

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 03/03/08 11:37 PM

An update on this post I went and visited YMMAA tonight (york mixed martial arts academy) and I enjoyed my visit greatly and am planning on starting to train there since it is much closer and George seems like an awesome guy as well. Their website is www.ymmaa.com if you are interested in this place.

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 03/04/08 11:32 AM

Thanks, I hope to check it out soon.

Re: MMA in YORK!!!!!!!!! - 03/13/08 10:04 PM

I just wanted to post a quick follow up to my last post about ymmaa.

I have complete my 3rd class there yesterday and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. My first class was an MMA fundamentals class, which was extremely helpful for me as a beginner student in BJJ/MMA to see the meshing of the styles. My second class was a no gi class which was something I had not done before. I liked the no ego styling like someone else had mentioned in this post. It was very much a great class. Last night, was a gi class, we worked on some basic and slightly more advanced chokes. We than proceeded to several half guard techniques before going to some from the bottom guard techniques/sweeps when your guard has been broken.

All in all it was alot of information, I think I will be lucky if I retain 1-2 of the techniques from each night, but that will still be more than I had from before. I have learned alot and love the instruction from George and Brad. If you live in York and are looking for a place to train this is definently a good place to go.