5 year old wrestlers?

Posted by: globetrotter

5 year old wrestlers? - 10/23/07 10:14 AM

any wrestlers out there who started as young as 5? I am signing my son up for a wrestling club that starts at age 5, the club has a good reputation, but I have never known anybody who started wrestlign so young, so I was wondering. any feedback would be welcome.
Posted by: chingei

Re: 5 year old wrestlers? - 10/25/07 03:15 AM

I started at 7, but I know folks who started at 5. He's not gonna do much at 5, but folks who start earlier tend to do better long term if they stick with it.
Posted by: trevek

Re: 5 year old wrestlers? - 10/25/07 06:28 AM

I once saw an article about some East European boy wrestlers who were about 5 and 6. They also weighed something like 9 or 10 stone!

I've known Judo players around 6-7.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: 5 year old wrestlers? - 11/30/07 01:30 PM

thanks, its hard for him, as he is the smallest in the club by 2 years and at least 5 pounds, but he is holding up and working hard. I am confidant that next year or the year after he will be really good.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: 5 year old wrestlers? - 11/30/07 03:05 PM

I didn't start any structured type of program till I was 11. What I can tell you is that boys like to wrestle and it doesn't matter what age. As long as there is structure, kids listen to authority and don't use anything they learn outside of training (which I know will be hard as boys will be boys), then I don't see it being a problem. As a parent as long as you leave it up to them if they want to continue with out any pressure then this is great. If their want to go starts to wain then do not force them to go; it doesn't work ... I know this from my daughter quitting TKD; I had to let her no matter how much I wanted her to continue training especially since she was very good at it; it came natural. Let kids be kids.
Posted by: chingei

Re: 5 year old wrestlers? - 12/02/07 11:00 PM

Quote:

thanks, its hard for him, as he is the smallest in the club by 2 years and at least 5 pounds, but he is holding up and working hard. I am confidant that next year or the year after he will be really good.

At that age I wouldn't worry about "good". You should be looking more long-term. I started at 7 and probably never one a single match until 5 years or more later, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If you make sure he sticks with it, you've done your job.