Your Definition For "Technical"?

Posted by: jasculs

Your Definition For "Technical"? - 09/12/07 12:23 AM

What is everyone's definition or outlook on being technical? What does being technical mean to you?

My Definition of "Technical" - "Being technical in my opinion, is having the ability to execute a technique properly with the right amount of timing and leverage without wasting a lot of energy all while enhancing your proper technique with the attributes that have been given to you."

Many people in my opinion totally disregard attributes such as strength and speed as not being technical and I agree that those alone will lead to someone who is not technical. However when you learn how to execute the techniques properly all while performing them with the right timing and applying the proper leverage and then add the attributes that you have such as strength and speed, then you have someone who is truly technical.

This type of person is technical because they can utilize the skills that they have learned and at the same time utilizes the genetic gifts they have been given such as strength, speed, and flexibility.

Thanks for your replies!
Jason
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Your Definition For "Technical"? - 09/12/07 06:26 PM

In strict terms, I define "technical" as being able to effectively capitalize and dominate the opponent with minimal reliance on purely physical attributes.
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Your Definition For "Technical"? - 09/12/07 11:06 PM

It doesn't matter how technically sound your running style is, if you are not in shape you will never win a race. Same goes for martial arts.

To get to a high level you need both, and you need to know how to use and when to use both.

Dismissing strength and athleticism is as silly as dismissing proper technique IMO.

But to answer the question, it is about knowing precisely what to do and how to do it to get the best result for you and the least chance of a counter or reversal from the other person. It's knowing how to use your strength and speed to negate and overcome the other persons. It's making them uncomfortable and making them burn there energy at a faster rate. It's knowing why something moved a inch one way lets the person escape, and a inch the other way breaks there arm.
Posted by: PaladinV

Re: Your Definition For "Technical"? - 09/25/07 11:06 AM

I tend to think of "technical" as someone who possesses a precise and economical way of moving. I think of most of the examples given above as having good timing which is another attribute I believe is essential to success but I do not equate with being technical. Most people who put in the time to become technical also develop a good sense of timeing but not always. I guess what I'm talking about is the guy who actually executes all the little details which make a technique work smoothly and with the least amount of applied force, that's technical.