Punch in the Nose death

Posted by: Hagakure

Punch in the Nose death - 07/22/07 05:37 PM

Im curious I always hear that you can kill a person if you hit them in the nose kinda upwards or whatever and you push their nose bone into their brain, I just want to know if this has been proven because I was recently watching some old pancrase video with Bas Rutten and they allowed no closed fist strikes and he would hit people straight in the face how they said it would kill. Idk what to make of it so lend me your wise insight.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/22/07 06:15 PM

Damn
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/22/07 07:51 PM

Quote:

Damn

Speechless, John?

Hag -

That is not true. Lord knows I have punched enough people in the nose to know if they would die or not. Even took a few myself, and I am still alive. Don't you think boxers would be dropping dead all over the place if that was true?

MYTH BUSTED!
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/22/07 08:20 PM

A student who trained before me at my school killed a man in LA with 2 straight punches to the head.

It was a guy attacking a woman with a tire iron on the street, he was on Angel dust at the time and didn't even go down after the first hit, even though it fractured his skull.

Now this is not the same a shoving the cartilage from the nose into the brain (I think that is a myth) this was blunt force trauma.

Quote:

Don't you think boxers would be dropping dead all over the place if that was true?

While this busts the myth, not the blunt force trauma. I am sure most of you know this but, the transfer of power is inversely proportional to the area of contact so the same punch landed with 2 knuckles is exponentially more powerful then one landed with gloves, add to that the absorption factor and boxers can take repeated blows.

So yes it is possible to Kill someone with a punch to face/head but I doubt in the Mythical way you described.

As for the student, he was not arrested, there were witnesses, the guy had drugs in his system and was attacking the woman so it was all ruled justified..
Posted by: Hagakure

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/23/07 08:59 AM

Yea I didnt beleive it myself but I wanted to see what you guys would say just like Mattj I am living proof also, just always hearing people talk about it even to the point where someone told me he had actually down it lol.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/23/07 10:52 AM

Definitely a myth as during many police training this is taught. Taught to impair the person, obviously not to kill them ... they have guns for that if needed.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/23/07 09:09 PM

It's a "two strike" technique, guys... and while it's not necessarily lethal, it hurts like hell and can be fatal. The first strike is across the hollow at the base of the eyebrows to actually break the cartlidge loose... the second strike is up and in, pushing the tip of the nose to the hollow just below the eyebrows, where you made the first hit.

No, I've never killed anybody with it, but the technique (when not tried simply as a one-strike technique) has all the indications that it would work. If you drive it into the frontal lobe, you end up giving the guy a lobotomy just to get it back out.

By the way, I've ALWAYS trained it as a two strike technique... not just a punch.

Posted by: danny81

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/23/07 10:38 PM

nope. there is no hole that goes from your nose bone to our brain. and your nos bone cant puncture your skull it would just shatter
Posted by: jthurmanator12

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/24/07 12:08 AM

Holy Moly I will practice this on my friends and let you know if it is true or not. =)

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/24/07 12:14 AM

that's why you break the crown of the nose... duh! Look at the structure of a skull, and you'll see what needs to be broken for the technique to work. The crown of the nose is the boney structure between the eyes. If it's not broken, the cartlidge simply slides up the skull and looks ugly...
hurts like hell too.

Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/24/07 07:55 PM

I have been taught a technique that's supposed to be possibly fatal, but of course I've not used it. But, the explaination I got was that your not shoving the cartilage into the brain. However, if struck well enough and at the proper angle you could cause hemoraging behind the nose ( in the sinuses ) that would put pressure on the sinuses and eventually the brain.( which could in turn prove fatal )

This is all theory of course but seems to make more sense than the traditional myth.

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/24/07 11:54 PM

That's another part of the damage caused by the two-strike "driving the nose cartiledge". The head, and especially that area, is a plethora of vital points and soft tissue areas that are shielded by bone, so strikes into that area can cause broken eye sockets, damage to the eyes themselves, fractured skull, and the "ever popular" death strike .

The point I'm talking about is called yintang in Dim Mak, and is where the old "evangelist knockout" was performed. It was usually done with a cupped hand and an almost instant knock out, so when done with a shuto or bottom fist strike, it's easy to break the bone structure between the eyes, and destroy the eye sockets themselves. That puts bone shards "floating" right at the brain housing. Driven with the cartiledge, they will penetrate the brain.

Even if it's missed, it causes bloody noses, difficulty in vision, and is painful as hell. In the eyebrows and eyelids, are two other points which, when struck, cause almost total drainage of ki from the body, and while it might not be a knockout, the victim will usually faint, so it's like "grand central station" of vital points to hit that area with a shuto (side hand) strike. The follow-up strike to the base of the nose is also surrounded by vital points, and you also stand a good chance of breaking the victim's neck when you strike upward and inward at the base of the nose. It is also a nerve center, and will not only cause pain, but watery eyes and almost total loss of the ability to stand.

"Other than that minor disruption, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?"

Posted by: badeofblade

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 07/25/07 01:02 PM

I usually bring people down to knees in the nose, so I've found it's the way that you hit it- you can completely flatten a nose, or you can break the cartiledge free, depending on how you hit. Flattening is much easier. For the second part of your two-part strike would also be hard to do correctly... If you intend it as a death strike, I suggest adding a few elbows to the area afterwards, otherwise nothing lethal is likely to happen.
All in all, I say it's rather ineffective and just say attack the throat.
Posted by: sweep

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 08/13/07 10:57 AM

It would, theoretically, be possible to kill someone by hitting them with enough of an upwards force to drive fragments of the ethmoid bone into the brain. This sort of injury is more common in car accidents without seatbelts when the occupant hits the dashboard. Hard. It should be noted that this bone forms the root of the nose, between the eye sockets, not the cartilage in the fleshy part of the nose. It is not especially likely to prove fatal even if you did manage it, and with the same amount of force you would probably achieve similar results just hitting them between the eyes. The "break the cartilage free then drive it into the brain" techniques above are nonsense imo.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Punch in the Nose death - 08/13/07 12:33 PM

A clip from here:

http://www.1for1.com/Article_about_Martial-arts-strikes-to-the-nose-a-3804.html

How many times while watching television have we all seen the "bad guy" in the show land a palm-heal strike to the nose of another actor who immediately hit the floor and stayed there? How many times have you heard your children, or better yet, some self-proclaimed authority on the subject tell you, "when somebody hits you like that it drives the nose bone into the brain and kills you?"

If you have heard this so called wisdom spouted, you have actually heard a wives tale invented by Hollywood. This concept of the "nose bone" being shoved into the brain is so deeply rooted in the social consciousness that regardless of your expertise in martial arts, you probably won't be able to shake someone else's belief.

A simple look into basic human anatomy should give people an idea of the ridiculousness of this belief. The "bony" part of the nose isn't really bone at all. It is cartilage. For those who doubt this, reach up and actually feel your own nose! It moves, bends and FEELS soft. Now feel any of the other bones of your body. Do any of them feel the same? Can you smush or move them in the same manner? Of course not, this is because bone is thick and solid whereas cartilage is soft and moveable. Think of your ear, it is formed by cartilage.

Can a blow to the nose kill someone? Yes! If enough force and skill is used the blow could cause fractures of the facial bones or shock trauma to the brain. This trauma causes hemorrhaging (bleeding) within the brain or cranium and requires immediate medical care. If you doubt this, ask any emergency room worker about it.

Blows to the nose in self-defense can prove to be very effective both physically and psychologically against an assailant. Almost any tap to the nose causes pain and the eyes to water. A good solid hit will cause a satisfying crunch and copious amounts of bleeding. The sight of their own blood has caused many an attacker to change their mind.

When the nose is broken, it not only bleeds, it starts to swell and causes the surrounding areas (eyes) to do the same. Between the bleeding and the swelling, it becomes almost impossible for a person to breath through the nose. Between all of these symptoms, it is human nature to back away, grab the injured area and see if there really is blood. If there is blood, the mind starts wondering just how much it is flowing.