Suplex Throws and Folkstyle Wrestling

Posted by: musicalmike235

Suplex Throws and Folkstyle Wrestling - 07/03/07 09:10 PM

If suplex throws are illegal in Folkstyle, I guess the refs in Florida didn't get the memo.

While I was on the wrestling team at my high school, on multiple occasions, I saw wrestlers execute suplex throws without penalty. I remember one instance where our 103 pounder scored a really nice one, it had the whole entire gym cheering.

I have heard so much conflicting information on what throws are and aren't allowed in Folkstyle wrestling that it gives me a headache just thinking about it. For crying out loud, my wrestling coach specifically said that they were allowed in Folkstyle.

Anyway, Can someone please tell me once and for all, are Suplex Throws allowed in Folkstyle, and if they are not, why were people getting away with using them down here in Florida?

Posted by: medulanet

Re: Suplex Throws and Folkstyle Wrestling - 07/04/07 06:10 AM

I think you are referring to a suplay. Was it a true suplay, meaning the kid was thrown straight from standing to the mat with no turn? In freestyle and greco there are no rules for how hard you slam you opponent like in folkstyle. If you pick you opponent up and slam him you can perform a slam similar to a suplay, however, if you turn, meaning both you and your opponent are not inverted when you hit the mat and you control the slam, you should not be penalized.

Re: Suplex Throws and Folkstyle Wrestling - 07/04/07 08:01 PM

No, he took him straight over his back. There was no turn.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Suplex Throws and Folkstyle Wrestling - 07/05/07 12:27 PM

Yes, that's illegal in folkstyle.

Re: Suplex Throws and Folkstyle Wrestling - 07/06/07 08:50 PM

medulanet, then why did the refs not do anything? I am just wondering.