Solo drills for grappling

Posted by: Umbra_777

Solo drills for grappling - 06/23/07 09:39 AM

Ground fighting to me always seemed like a very inherently two person part of the martial arts unlike striking where you can easily practice by doing form, shadowboxing, practicing in the air, or using a heavy bag.

When I train on my own in grappling I usually just do falls/ukemi, moving on my knees, and hip escapes (although I've been tempted to try hanging from some monkey bars by my legs guard style). Do you guys have any favorite drills you like to do?

-Umbra
Posted by: leviethain

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 06/23/07 11:58 PM

i saw a couple on the web once, were you put a heavy bag in your guard, then like pivot yourself around the heavy bag, its hard to explain but its on lockflow or something.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 06/24/07 12:45 PM

There are some things you can do with a heavy bag. References to these are found around the net. Do a google search for them and you may find some things to help.

I would check this out if you're interested in drills:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Grappling-Drills-Info.php?sid=

-John
Posted by: Umbra_777

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 06/26/07 08:43 AM

Thank you for the help, I'll try to put these ideas to good use.

-Umbra
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 06/26/07 08:00 PM

My personal favorites

Shadow wrestling, the same idea as shadow boxing

Hip heist, the hip heist movement is used a lot in escaping from the bottom; it’s used with wing locks the switch and peek out.

Burppies, a great conditioning exercise for sprawling.

Shrimping, another movement that is used a lot in escaping from the bottom.
Posted by: Eniac

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 07/06/07 12:28 AM

Also check out grappling dummies. I made mine for around $75 in materials and about 15 hours work or you can buy them in a wide range of prices. I use mine for all sorts of drill work. It's great for when you just want to drill something that would bore the heck out of your partner (for instance, I do did this one about 500 times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW7FmJayh8o ), practicing techniques when your bored and have nobody to roll with, or for just keeping active when injured.
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 07/11/07 10:51 PM

Here's some basic movement drills

http://innovativema.ca/forum/view.php?pg=solodrills
Posted by: jthurmanator12

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 07/14/07 02:37 PM

I know I like to practice my take downs. If I can take them to the ground I can finish the fight. I always practice my penetration steps. Think about the last UFC and how Sean Sherk after taking numerious knees to the chin still penetrating through his opponent and still taking him down. Sean Sherk is a good example of an experienced fighter. Just alittle food for thought.

-Jack
Posted by: badeofblade

Re: Solo drills for grappling - 07/14/07 06:25 PM

I hang off monkey bars by my legs, doing "situps" from a position whilst throwing elbow strikes into the air from such a position. Burpies are good too, I agree with ExCon.
(the elbow strikes aren't really grappling, but I train both striking and grappling at the same time, even when sparring I never choose one over the other.)