Effective SD Grappling

Posted by: olga

Effective SD Grappling - 06/20/07 03:35 PM

Since there has been so much talk lately about applying grappling in Self Defense, can someone qualified please find and post a few videos into this thread of some SD-effective grappling techniques? Something non-sport please.
I don't know much about groundwork, so I am very curious to see the other end of the spectrum.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/20/07 03:45 PM

I'm afraid that I don't understand your question. Most grappling techniques are the same whether you do them in competition or in self defense. It is relatively simple to change the strategy from "I won't hurt you/sport" to "I'm going to wreck your world/SD" . The techniques themselves are going to be almost identical.

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/20/07 04:25 PM

So most techniques are effective? Like what I would observe in a UFC match?
I just figured that some techniques worked better for SD and others for sport.

For example, in striking martial arts, something like a jumping spining back kick or whatever is probably not the best thing to use "on the street," but it is still a part of the style, only mainly it is reserved for competition. Some techniques are long-winded and complex, while others get right to the point.

What about something like this? It just seems like it's taking a long time and these guys are totally preoccupied with each other. What if this was a multiple attacker situation? Is either of them prepared to defend against the others?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/20/07 04:29 PM

Check out this video by Helio Gracie. Self defense and grappling ... excellent.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkv4d_key-ta-gracie-system

I agree with Matt, Self Defense, Competition, etc. ... there is such a fine line with very little differences. In most cases it comes down to ... I'm not stopping if you tap.

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/20/07 04:38 PM

Hmmm..... I think I see what you mean. What you are seeing there is a grappling competition. Strikes are not allowed, and neither are multiple opponents, so neither of those factors weigh in this event. However, the actual positions and submissions are the same otherwise. Multiple opponents would be a problem anyway!

But I guess you mean something like this:

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=254

Good control position that allows for submission or quick stnd-up.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/20/07 06:05 PM

Olga,

Follow this statement.

An armbar executed in a tournament setting, can result in a broken arm if, a "tap out" is not given.

That same armbar is the one you would use in a fight. Obviously you would not abide by the tournaments rules of engagement on the street and you would simply break the arm. Does that make it any clearer?

I don't know if I can make it any more OBVIOUS than that.

The choke renders unconsciousness. Can we all not see ANY self-defense application there? What about locks which break arms, shoulders, necks, legs???

No self-defense application there?

What about when you're taken down and mounted (sure, I know it can't happen to anyone on THIS forum, but play along please)?

Now all of that time you spent practicing those mount escapes, enables you to escape unharmed --- is that not self-defense training?

What about all of the experience you gain from grappling and learning how to defend from submissions? Is that not self-defense??

Folks, self-defense is a BY PRODUCT of your training! Why this isn't more obvious to people is baffling.

-John
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 01:18 PM

Quote:

Folks, self-defense is a BY PRODUCT of your training! Why this isn't more obvious to people is baffling.

Self Defense is a study unto itself that utilizes the training. But how and when to apply is an active process not a by product.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 01:38 PM

Quote:

Olga,

Follow this statement.

An armbar executed in a tournament setting, can result in a broken arm if, a "tap out" is not given.

That same armbar is the one you would use in a fight. Obviously you would not abide by the tournaments rules of engagement on the street and you would simply break the arm. Does that make it any clearer?

The choke renders unconsciousness. Can we all not see ANY self-defense application there? What about locks which break arms, shoulders, necks, legs???

What about when you're taken down and mounted (sure, I know it can't happen to anyone on THIS forum, but play along please)?

Now all of that time you spent practicing those mount escapes, enables you to escape unharmed --- is that not self-defense training?

What about all of the experience you gain from grappling and learning how to defend from submissions? Is that not self-defense??

-John

Enough said! Great post John!

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 01:51 PM

Quote:

Olga,

Follow this statement.

-John

John, you forgot to post some videos. Thank you for your post, but my question was not to define self-defense, I only asked to see some videos of effective technique.

Your mocking tone was unnecessary.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 02:14 PM

Quote:

But how and when to apply is an active process not a by product.

Hi Kimo.

Isn't the "how and when to apply [technique]" best learned via sparring resisting opponents? And, my impression is that some strictly "self-defense" schools don't necessarily practice sparring in a "live" context against resisting opponents.

Peace,
Mike

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 02:24 PM

Quote:

Self Defense is a study unto itself that utilizes the training. But how and when to apply is an active process not a by product.

Fair enough. But I believe what John means is that athletic, resistant practice will give you many of the necessary applicable factors to be used in SD. SD by default, if you will.

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 02:28 PM

Quote:

Since there has been so much talk lately about applying grappling in Self Defense, can someone qualified please find and post a few videos into this thread of some SD-effective grappling techniques? Something non-sport please.
I don't know much about groundwork, so I am very curious to see the other end of the spectrum.

Hi Olga.

I don't know if I am "qualified", but I do study BJJ . Here is a clip I found on YouTube from the Gracie video series that demonstrates some GJJ techniques for dealing with "stand up agression".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klpDOW0u89c

And, IMHO, any of the BJJ groundwork is good for self defense if you find yourself tackled in a parking lot by a 275lb behemoth. Knowing how to gain a superior position, deliver strikes, locks and chokes, then get the F@#*& out of there is good self defense in my book.

Peace,
Mike

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 02:28 PM

Quote:

John, you forgot to post some videos. Thank you for your post, but my question was not to define self-defense, I only asked to see some videos of effective technique.

Olga, check this site here. Lots of good stuff:

http://lockflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=4226

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 02:33 PM

Quote:

"how and when to apply [technique]" best learned via sparring resisting opponents?

Thats how you learn technique, and the best way to learn is a topic of debate, drill vrs resisting opponents etc.

Self Defense is what happens from the neck up. The what to say, when to hit, when to run, what to do etc. Most Self Defense occurs long before technique enters the equation.

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 03:07 PM

Quote:

Self Defense is what happens from the neck up. The what to say, when to hit, when to run, what to do etc. Most Self Defense occurs long before technique enters the equation.

Hi Kimo

This I wholeheartedly agree with. If I am at the step where I have to use my physical techniques to keep myself safe, I messed up about 10 steps ago!

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/21/07 03:23 PM

Quote:

Check out this video by Helio Gracie. Self defense and grappling ... excellent.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkv4d_key-ta-gracie-system

I agree with Matt, Self Defense, Competition, etc. ... there is such a fine line with very little differences. In most cases it comes down to ... I'm not stopping if you tap.

I haven't watched the whole vid yet, but there are some good techniques there. I would like to see the follow up after some of them (but I know that wasn't the purpose of the video) and I would like to see the techniques done with resistance.

There are also a couple of questionable techniques. The one that springs to mind right now is the front kick defense where the defender "simply" caught the foot and dumped the attacker on his butt. Sorry, but that isn't going to happen so easily.

Your average street thug may or may not have a good sense of balance, but they also are not as likely to do a front kick. If by chance your facing an opponent with some degree of skill, they may front kick, but they may or may not have the sense of balance or center that would preclude them from getting dumped.

I'm not one for absolutes, but I can say that this particular technique, if you managed to trap my foot, would not dump me on my butt. Lots of other things from a traped foot will, but just a pick it up and push... nope.

Still there were a lot of good things and I don't want to sound like I'm trashing the whole thing. It just takes more room to describe why I don't like a particular technique than to say "Yep, that's a good one."

My school in CA had some of the Gracie folks in for seminars on a fairly regular basis and I enjoyed it a lot.

JKogas,

We recently agreed about ground fighting and SD on another thread, but sheesh, why so mean?

Best,
Jim
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/23/07 10:38 AM

I think there are two schools of thought that have been expressed on this thread. One expressed by JKojas is the idea that “the best self-defense is being able to win a fight”. This is not the same thing as “the only self-defense is being able to win a fight”. The other idea is “the best self-defense is anything and everything that has nothing to do with fighting”. Examples of the second school of thought are “forms competitions” and endless talk of “killer instinct”.
Posted by: jude33

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/23/07 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Olga,

Follow this statement.

-John

Your mocking tone was unnecessary.

I think he has been discussing effective techniques self defence or sport since he joined the forum. My thoughts and from what I have learned. Grappling as discussed except
with the addition of striking and banned techniques such as larynx grabs using the eye sockets to pull the head up etc etc might be the difference between SD and sport.
The problem is I dont think there is any quick fix to anything.I think the two guys on the video could quite easily change what they are doing(sport) to real very quickly.

Jude

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/23/07 08:28 PM

Olga, JPoor -

I'm not really mean folks, and I apologize to Olga for any perceived tone. It probably should be known that the "tone" that we sometimes think we get from people on internet forums may not be entirely accurate. It's hard to sometimes understand a person's intent across this medium and I feel we all should try and keep this in mind.

Olga wrote
Quote:

John, you forgot to post some videos.

Olga, check out youtube. Do a general search for submission grappling, submission wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, etc. Watch them. What you see are all very effective tactics for use against anyone attempting to resist our efforts.

That said, there are some strategies that aren't very practical for certain situations. But we're not talking about strategy. We're talking about techniques. In that case, just watch the videos from youtube. Most everything you'll see being executed against complete resistance is functional.

Kimo2007 wrote
Quote:

Self-defense IS a by-product of training. Did you need examples? The skill developed in boxing teaches you how to defend against someone trying to punch you in the face. Is that not self-defense?

How and when to apply? Doesn’t common sense cover that? How and when to apply self-defense against someone punching you in the face is when someone is punching you in the face, right? The HOW is how you’ve trained and then WHEN is when it’s happening? Am I wrong? Again, it’s just common sense. I think we all tend to forget sometimes that fighting is NOT the rocket science that many people would have you believe it is.

Quote:

I agree completely. And that’s called common sense. Unfortunately there is no art that teaches a dumb person how to be a smart person.

I’ve often said that self-defense is about never needing to fight. I’ve also said that most martial arts training instills in people the mindset of looking for “hands on” solutions to the problem of physical violence.

Again, self-defense is about avoiding the need to fight. I’ve found that fairly easy to do. If I can do it, anyone can. But do people? No. In fact, I’ve seen often that the people who are best at physical self-defense have horrible instincts for self-preservation. Oh well. There isn’t a lot we can do for folks like that, right?

-John

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/24/07 10:00 AM

Quote:

And that’s called common sense. Unfortunately there is no art that teaches a dumb person how to be a smart person.

Common sense ain't that common.

But how to handle yourself can be taught and is taught. There are plenty of things people are unaware of and we train in 'walk the street" type scenarios to prepare people for possible situations they may encounter and how to deal with them.

Self Defense is much more then kicks and punches (or chokes)

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/24/07 10:16 AM

Quote:

Common sense ain't that common.

You know, we agree on more than we DISAGREE. It's amazing that we debate so much! Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do to save the stupid and in my opinion, there's no reason to. It's sad, but thats life. We try our best to legislate natural selection out of existance. Two things; we can't and we won't. People will go the extra mile to put themselves in harms way.

Lets just not stop the process and ensure an evolution of the strongest, and smartest.

Quote:

But how to handle yourself can be taught and is taught.

Man, that won't matter. If people have no "experience" or seasoning as a fighter, you can go through all the mental training in the WORLD and it will matter very little.

I've seen this countless times. People can "learn" something in their minds, but until they understand it on an emotional level deep in their hearts, they truly won't "know" the information.

Seasoning happens over time (hence the name). There are no short-cuts. People will fall to pieces regardless of how we "teach" them to behave because ultimately, people teach themselves. We provide the basics, they do the rest.

For me its pretty easy as I believe that simple things work the best. In other words, I tell people to RUN when they encounter trouble, lol (no, it's not that simple but it's essentially the message).

Quote:

There are plenty of things people are unaware of and we train in 'walk the street" type scenarios to prepare people for possible situations they may encounter and how to deal with them.

Sure. Awareness is ALWAYS the key. That's basic. If someone isn't capable of grasping that sort of thing on their first NIGHT, there really is no reaching them.

Quote:

Of course. I've said it's about NOT kicking and punching. But you've seen me say that right?

-John
Posted by: ExCon

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/24/07 10:34 AM

Quote:

Yes, but!

All that other stuff is easy to learn and doesn’t require continual practice to be proficient at it. In fact most people without any training what so ever manage to stay out of violent scenarios.

Being skilled at fighting is what you need if the above stuff fails for some reason. And good fighting skills are much harder to develop and maintain than the above stuff. Imo emphasizing the above stuff is misguided.

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 06/24/07 10:42 AM

Great post ExCon!

The development of proven, demonstrable skill over time (seasoning) will do more for the mental and emotional development of a person than anything.

During the course of a person's training, bringing up the common sense points during coaching will do well enough to emphasize how people should behave when out and about to stay safe.

After all, it IS common sense. Education is a gradual process. There doesn't need to be a specific "class" on how to behave. I mean, if people needed that, they're going to need a lot MORE than that if you get my drift. They're not intelligent enough on their own.

-John
Posted by: Ames

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 07/02/07 06:12 PM

The other thing to touch on here is that BJJ positioning takes into account striking. If you're in the proper position to, say, do an rnc, what's stopping you from droping elbows to the back of the neck first? That's the great thing I find about BJJ (and hope one day to begin practicing it again, when my back heals), it teaches you how to get into position to do all those 'self defence' techniques. Rather than just saying 'I'll eyegouge you if we go to the ground', your taught how to control the person, thus, you can choke, eyegouge, stick your fingers in the guys nose and tear it...etc. But before you can learn to do any of those things, you first have to learn the basics of control.

--Chris

Re: Effective SD Grappling - 07/02/07 06:21 PM

Great points Chris. You're spot on. BJJ is all about having the dominant position. Thus if the BJJ fighter has the dominant position, what position does his opponent have?

Greco-Roman is basically the same thing from the standing grapple/clinch; position first. Greco is essentially jiu-jitsu standing up, in many ways.

-John