Wrestling

Posted by: danny81

Wrestling - 05/16/07 04:38 PM

i am going to learn wrestling. I have a question. i am trying to learn G-R folk and Freestyle at the same time.

does anyone know the difference between the three?

is this right? G-R is mainly about throws and take downs
folk is about ground wrestling
and freestyle is a mix?

please add in info.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Wrestling - 05/16/07 04:42 PM

Note to self, get a clue about a subject before I write something that may assist others in labeling me as an idiot.

Hey kid, ever heard of google? The only part you got right is that all three are forms of wrestling.

Re: Wrestling - 05/16/07 04:49 PM

i did look it up in wikipedia. i read about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRECO-ROMAN_WRESTLING
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collegiate_wrestling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_wrestling

freestyle seems exactyl like folk but instead you are supposed to try and slam the opponent.

anyway. i am trying to learn them together. do you think this is pssible? or should i try and learn like parts f each?

Re: Wrestling - 05/17/07 07:37 PM

sso. any help?
Posted by: Taison

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 04:45 AM

I'll cut you some slack.

Roman-Greco Wrestling you're not allowed to go for the legs.

Freestyle wrestling you're allowed to go for the legs.

Folk wrestling has various rules which isn't consistent to determine what it should look like. Kurash (Native to Uzbekistan, Iran, Tajikistan, etc) for example looks very different from Mongolian wrestling.

Danny, I'd suggest instead of posting the links, you actually spend time reading them yourself. It states there clearly what they are and how they are practiced.

-Taison out
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 06:57 AM

Folkstyle is similar to freestyle in that attacks to the legs are allowed. The main differences between the two could be summed up with the word, "dominance". Demonstrating control over ones opponent is much more important in folkstyle.

Basically this means that more time is allowed on the mat. Freestyle guys primarily work for the takedown and are given 15 seconds on the mat. Most of the time, the bottom guy simply stalls for that period of time and they restart.

In folkstyle, the bottom guy must work for reversals, escapes, etc.

Obviously HOW one scores between freestyle and folkstyle is different. In freestyle, this scoring is based on risk.

In freestyle, for example, takedowns are scored like this:
1 point – taking opponent down from feet or knees to the ground
2 points – taking opponent from knees to his back or across his back (i.e. – “exposing” his back to the mat on the way down)
3 points – taking opponent from his feet to his back or across his back
5 points – “high amplitude throw” – throwing opponent so that his entire body comes higher than your hips and taking him to his back, with his feet or head – whichever end is up – making an arcing motion through the air (such as a back arch, or a nice throw from a back step).

In folkstyle you get two points for a takedown regardless of how it's done. Thus no extra points are rewarded for "risk".

So that and the emphasis that folkstyle gives to ground work are the primary differences between it and freestyle.

As mentioned, Greco-Roman is upper body wrestling only (no leg attacks).

-John

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 08:02 AM

If that is folk-style, what do you call the indiginous ones? I'm lacking in my vocabulary.

-Taison out

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 11:30 AM

Taison, folkstyle wrestling is the specific name for American wrestling in middle school, high school, and college. I don't believe it is done anywhere else in the world. I guess that local wrestling traditions could be considered "folk" wrestling, but they probably have their own names for it. In the US wrestling in the school systems is specifically called folkstyle wrestling. Just like freestyle wrestling could be any grappling/wrestling in which you are allowed to do a wide array of techniques like what some people refer to as freestyle fighting. However, olympic wrestling is specifically referred to as freestyle wrestling.

And to add to what Kogas was saying I think it is that emphasis on dominating your opponent is what allows many american wrestlers to make a smooth transition to MMA. Taking an opponent down, controlling him, and keeping him down is a good skill to have if you are in a fight. In addition, folkstyle wrestling teaches a fighter to get back to his feet when taken down, rather than simply laying there with your opponent in your guard.

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 11:55 AM

Thanks Med, I thought I got something wrong somewhere. I've always assumed folk-wrestling to be the indiginous ones, while collegiate is the one done by the Americans schools, and then you've got the freestyle and Greco-Roman.

Thanks again.

-Taison out

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 03:54 PM

thanks guys. do any of you wrestle?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 05:32 PM

Wrestled junior/high school for a number of years back in the early 80's. Grapple now as an adult.

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 07:49 PM

oo. do you think it is possible to learn all three styles at the same time? also hwo should i mix them together?

Re: Wrestling - 05/18/07 07:57 PM

I don't know if you have been paying attention, but the styles of wrestling is based on the rules. However, in the end wrestling is wrestling. You seem like a young kid. Just find a wrestling club or wrestle for your school. A club may offer all three but a school will probably only off folkstyle. There isn't really any learning all three other than understanding the rules and applying them in practice.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Wrestling - 05/19/07 08:01 AM

A good folkstyle coach will have you learning not only leg attacks but upper body attacks as well (though not always). If you're learning both, what you're learning will apply to folkstyle, freestyle and Greco-Roman from a technical perspective. Only the rules change.

I former student of mine grew up with folkstyle wrestling. However he wrestled everywhere he got the chance and that often including Greco-Roman meets. Again, it's merely the rules that change. Lastly, how much upper body stuff you do will often depend on the program and what the coach there was good at.

You will want to learn the Greco-Roman approach because it lends itself well to fighting and self-defense.

-John

Re: Wrestling - 05/19/07 12:04 PM

ooo. so that means alll G-R throws are tuaght to folkstyle and freestyle student? btw i am joining folk in my school next year.

Re: Wrestling - 05/20/07 01:12 AM

Danny, do you have an attention span problem?

Basically, there is NO STYLE of wrestling. It's just wrestling. It's the rules that make them differently.

Freestyle, Folk and Greco-Roman wrestling is basically the same thing except with different rules.

I can't make it any simpler anymore.

-Taison out

Re: Wrestling - 05/20/07 12:46 PM

yes i understand that, but arent there some moves specific to specific forms of wrestling?

Re: Wrestling - 05/20/07 01:56 PM

Quote:

but arent there some moves specific to specific forms of wrestling?

No.

Only the limitations. For example, both Greco-Roman and Freestyle have hip-throws, Greco-Roman does not have leg tackle because in it's rule, you're not allowed to go for the lower body.

In practice however, you'll be learning wrestling. That's everything from Greco-Roman, Freestyle, Folk, etc.

The only difference you'll see between them is the limitation put on by rules.

-Taison out

Re: Wrestling - 05/21/07 04:08 PM

thanks. sorry for constantly pissing you off. i will try and limit my questions.

Re: Wrestling - 05/22/07 12:10 AM

Danny, you're not pissing me off, so don't feel afraid to ask. I'm just grumpy, so don't take it personally.

I do however, request that you read and reflect on the things people write. It makes it a bit easier.

And Danny, I'm a mod. My job is to help you. So don't worry dude.

Who knows, the little noob may one day be the next legend.

Quote:

i will try and limit my questions

A Vietnamese Idiom - The wise knows he doesn't know and will continue to ask.

So keep asking if you're curious.

-Taison out

Re: Wrestling - 05/22/07 04:02 PM

alright thanks. BTW i found a wrestling gym and am going to start in a few weeks.