Origional Ultimate Fighters

Posted by: Stormdragon

Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/13/07 12:55 PM

Whats the status of Chris Leben, Nathan Quarry, Stephan Bonner, Mike Swick, and Forest Griffin in competition right now?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/13/07 01:21 PM

Mike Swick is to have an up and coming fight on a UFC card. Chris Leban I'm not sure what is happening with him since his lost to Alberta's Jason MacDonald. Stephan Bonnar I heard was shelved as he tested positive to steroids or another illegal drug but once clean who knows what they have in store for him. Haven't heard much on Forest Griffan but for sure he will be back as he only had the one loss. Now for Nate Quarry, I thought I read a rumor he wasn't going to fight anymore ... but that is just a rumor. He hasn't had any fights since his big loss to Rich Franklin. He also recently had back surgery of some kind and is in recovery.

Some of the guys who are not doing as well are being sent to England to fight on cards, perhaps some of these guys might show up there.

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/13/07 03:24 PM

Ok thanks for the info. Has Tank abbot had any more fights?
He seems about done.

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/13/07 04:03 PM

Tank is one of those guys that is never scheduled for a fight but when they need somebody they call and he comes. His last fight was for a loss back in October and I suspect you'll see him again sometime. At 41 he is getting up there but don't count him out. I've never been a big Tank fan but people love him and he loves to fight; win or lose. The guy is got heart, that is for sure.

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/13/07 05:44 PM

Who'd he lose to? Anyone with a big name?

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/13/07 06:05 PM

It was against Paul "The Headhunter" Buentello and Tank was KO'd in the first round. It was a smaller venue through Strike Force who have now had 6 fight promotions; this was the main card for them. These are the same guys that did the Frank Shamrock vs. Cesar Gracie back in March of 2006. Mostly they do up-and-comers headed by some well known names. Some of their fights will also have a few that have moved down the ranks and are trying to build themselves back up. Not a huge venue and no real big money for the fighters put certainly is a platform for fighters to show off their stuff.

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/15/07 12:33 PM

Sounds interesting. Too bad Tank got beat so easy but oh well he's still a badass in my book.
You know, Chris Leben actually has a fairly good record with 16 wins and like 3 losses and one loss to a guy who is now champion, and became champion easily (Anderson Silva) and Chris Leben put up a great fight. He's an exciting fighter, but just needs to work on his submission and wrestling skills and of course improve on his striking even more. He's sort of like Chuck in style but not as good. If he keeps fighting and works hard he could get somewhere.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/24/07 12:03 AM

Forrest is out with an injury, which is why he is not on the upcoming card.

Stephan Bonnar is still on suspension (until May I believe) for steroid use.

Page
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/24/07 06:36 PM

Quote:

Chris Leben put up a great fight. He's an exciting fighter, but just needs to work on his submission and wrestling skills and of course improve on his striking even more. He's sort of like Chuck in style but not as good. If he keeps fighting and works hard he could get somewhere.

Dude I don't think Chris Leben fights like Chuck at all! If anyone, Leben is like Cabbage. Chris likes to clinch against the cage and work from there. I can't remember the last time I saw Chuck in a clinch. Also, Chris likes to try to push the pace of a fight, whereas Chuck always sits back and lets people come to him, knowing that eventually he's going to catch them with that one knockout punch.

Am I the only one that finds Chris Leben boring and one dimensional? I loved seeing MacDonald put him in his place. Leben's only big wins have been against Cote and Dewees who I think are both a bit overrated. To me Leben is just another Ed Herman, meaning hes his own biggest fan.

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/27/07 04:07 PM

What I mean is he lieks to stand and throw punches, few kciks and almost all low kicks, and avoid the ground. He spends as much or more time free striking then clinching.

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/28/07 11:54 AM

I understood you; Leben has a weird stance similar to Chuck, unorthodox. However Chuck doesn't come in forward blindly like Leben does and Chuck can hit you from such weird angles and still be effective. Leben thinks he is a strong striker and thinks he can win this way whereas Chuck knows he is a stronger striker and he knows he can win this way.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 03/28/07 03:08 PM

OMG, Storm how can you say that...Leben is boring. He tries to put on exciting fights by standing toe to toe. This would help him more if he was a boxer, but in MMA that is why he gets knocked out. He takes the typical team Quest fighter stance. He stands in a deep forward stance throwing hard punches and at any moment is ready sprawl. Which is good if he is going against a grappler. But if he is going against a stand up guy he is vulnerable.

Anderson Silva easily beat Chris Leben because Leban was stiff, he did not move. Absolutely no boxing skills at all. Sure the kid can throw hard punches and his combinations are good. But he does not move his head nor his feet. He is constantly planted on both his feet heel to toe. What he should do is keep his back heel off the ground so he can be mobile.

Chuck has serous power and can hit from any angle. Furthermore because of his long arms, he draws his opponents in and then strikes at them. What amazes me is how he generates enough power to knock a person out while moving backwards.

Re: Origional Ultimate Fighters - 04/02/07 03:23 PM

Thats why I said Leben is like a CRAPPY version of chuck Lidell, I mean NO ONE fights on the same level as Chuck, at least not in that class. Maybe one or two guys in Pride but thats it.