heel hook

Posted by: leprechaunway

heel hook - 03/12/07 04:10 PM

During a heel hook, how do you prevent your opponent from rolling their entire body around and loosening the pressure? I'm figure-fouring with my legs, but the more experienced grapplers seem to just go into a kind of gator-roll and take me with them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: heel hook - 03/12/07 05:30 PM

Your instructor should be able to help you with this one. Parallel (Same side) Heel Hook, use your outside/over leg and hook that foot underneath his free leg. He won't be able to roll away or stand up. If he tries, just kick your leg straight and it will sweep him back. He can't roll into the lock or it will damage his knee so he has only one way to turn.

The Cross/ Reverse Heel Hook is a lot harder to roll out of but sometimes a lot harder to get into.

I don't like rolling with heelhooks in play as all my students as well as myself have to go to work for a living. Very easy to get hurt with spiral/ twisting locks.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: heel hook - 03/12/07 07:10 PM

Quote:

I don't like rolling with heelhooks in play as all my students as well as myself have to go to work for a living. Very easy to get hurt with spiral/ twisting locks.

I am the same way and have even limited the use of "toe holds" in training as well. This isn't mentioned nearly as often as the danger of heel hooks but if anyone has ever heard the LOUD pop of a foot in toe hold and seen the resulting look of absolute fear on the face of the person applying it, you'll all know too well how dangerous this move can be as well.

We'll often fight for position but not finish the move so people can learn to defend the position. Otherwise, I've learned the hard way not to go for these moves on the majority of guys I roll with. Some don't have enough experience to know when they're in danger and some plain just don't know when to tap.

-John
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: heel hook - 03/12/07 10:43 PM

terminology question: are you talking about a heel hook similar as used in an Osoto Gari throw, except entirely locking the leg with your foot? or, are you talking about this in a ground grappling sense? If so, I can't visualize it.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: heel hook - 03/12/07 10:54 PM

Cosidering this is in the grappling section, I personally would assume he meant the ground submission

Re: heel hook - 03/12/07 11:23 PM

oh thats right, MMA doesn't train a stand-up game.
Posted by: ExCon

Re: heel hook - 03/12/07 11:33 PM

This is a heel hook.

Re: heel hook - 03/13/07 12:01 AM

Quote:

oh thats right, MMA doesn't train a stand-up game.

If you honestly believe that then sure, but otherwise in a forum where ground game is the main focus and the term "heel hook" that also happens to be a common term in MMA circles regarding the technique shown in the pictures might just give things away.

Re: heel hook - 03/13/07 01:03 AM

picture is 1000 words. thanks.

btw, your condecending tone...is it new? lol

Re: heel hook - 03/13/07 01:10 AM

If only counting the times when people try to be condecending with me, then no, it's a tool I always keep by my side, along with my limited edition Bruce Lee nunchucks...
Posted by: ExCon

Re: heel hook - 03/13/07 01:11 AM

Quote:

picture is 1000 words. thanks.

You are welcome.

I know what you mean about hooking for osoto gari. My favorite judo throw is osoto makikomi.
Posted by: leprechaunway

Re: heel hook - 03/13/07 01:57 AM

thanks everyone. I was talking about a heel hook in a grappling sense, just like what was shown in the picture. I'll work on getting my foot under their other leg. Thanks for the advice!
Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: heel hook - 03/15/07 12:24 PM

Going off the picture I teach a little different positioning as the first method of doing it.

Take the legs and figure four them from there, right foot into left knee. Then use the left foot to either push out on there other leg, or just hook under it.

This will prevent them from rolling with it as there other leg is tied up, and rolling the other way does damage to them.

It is also a very secure position, so if you can achieve it you can hold it for a while, so it you want you can roll, get the position, and not crank on it without them being able to do much, call that the win.

Heel hooks are pretty versatile and position can vary, I just like the one I described as it is very secure
Posted by: PaladinV

Re: heel hook - 03/19/07 11:33 AM

Thanks, Mr Green. Could you by any chance post a pic of that one? I would love to see it as this is a problem I've been trying to solve in my game for quite some time.

Thanks

Re: heel hook - 03/21/07 10:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Mr Green. Could you by any chance post a pic of that one? I would love to see it as this is a problem I've been trying to solve in my game for quite some time.

Thanks

Google has failed me, I'll see what I can do about shooting a sequence in the next little while.

Re: heel hook - 03/22/07 06:20 AM

Thank you very much sir.

Re: heel hook - 03/28/07 11:41 PM

Quote:

Thank you very much sir.

Don't get ahead of yourself, I forgot to take my camera both days this week. Next week, camera, pictures. That's the plan

Re: heel hook - 04/02/07 11:26 PM

Here ya go:

http://innovativema.ca/forum/view.php?pg=guardheelhook

Re: heel hook - 04/03/07 12:55 AM

Excellent. I'll try it out tommorow. I appreciate it, now that I've seen it I can't believe I didn't think of it haha. Great position.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: heel hook - 04/03/07 10:05 PM

Thanks Andrew. Nice work.