UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside**

Posted by: Zombie Zero

UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/03/07 10:31 PM

Anyone watching UFC 68 right now? Discuss.

Sobral just demonstrated why you keep your hands up!

He just got KTFO!

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 12:59 AM

Randy Couture is unequivocally the KING of Mixed Martial Arts!
Posted by: Borrek

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 01:24 AM

Man that was a badass night of fighting. Randy Couture is unbelievable! UFC 68 has to go down as one of the best shows ever. I'm kicking myself for not buying tickets, the venue is 50 minutes from my house. Unfortunately it was $200 for nose-bleeds so I had a hard time justifying it to my wife.

Randy showed how a true champ fights 5 rounds. It was nothing like that 25 minute Sylvia/Arlovski snoozefest. I was worried that he was gassing in the 3rd round, but when he took the 4th to the mat I was pretty sure he was going to win.

That golfball sized mouse on Sylvia's eye was pretty nasty. It looked like it came out of nowhere right near the end.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 01:35 AM

Babalu was gassed after the first round and never recovered. He walked into several punches with his hands down before he got ko'd. He was wobbly just coming out for the second round.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 01:16 PM

I think it was a great night.

- Jason Lambert impressed me with his fight against Renato Sobral. What a great way to start things off.

- Chris Lytle also impressed me by going all three rounds with Matt Hughes. Matt may have won but Chris moved up a notch in my books as well as the UFC's.

- I was sad for my home boy Jason MacDonald as he had to throw in the towel after the 2nd round. Throwing from his back hand and putting his head down trying to shoot every time on Rich Franklin was a poor game plan and Franklin took advantage of this. I hope Jason recovers and comes back stronger. Jason has 3 more fights that he is guaranteed with the UFC so we will see him again hopefully.

- Drew McFedries can throw punches, wow. However Martin Kampmann is the man and has one hell of a head. I loved his submission.

- Randy Couture, you cannot say enough; remarkable. He changed his game plan and was throwing those overhand rights to Tim Sylvia's face that took its toll. Tim was taken out of his game plan and forgot to take advantage of his size and forgot to use his legs to create distance not to mention his monstrous reach. Randy timed him well and kept his head moving and I bow down to his greatness.

Other fights not seen:

- Rex Holman Vs. Matt Hamill = Matt Hamill Wins by Technical Knock Out at 4:00 in the 1st round ... would have liked to see if Hamill changed anything in his fighting technique

- Jon Fitch Vs. Luigi Fioravanti = Jon Fitch Wins by Submission at 3:05 in the 3rd round by rear naked choke

- Gleison Tibau Vs. Jason Dent = Jason Dent Wins by Unanimous Decision at 5:00 in the 3rd round

- Jason Gilliam Vs. Jamie Varner = Jamie Varner Wins by Submission at 1:34 in the 1st round by tapout
Posted by: Cord

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 02:17 PM

i have to wait another couple of hours for this to be aired in the UK, but from all comments so far, it is clear that Randy gave possibly his best display of standup striking ever in this fight.
Question: If a guy who, whilst undoubtedly a rounded fighter, has never realy been synonamous with striking retires from a striking discipline to concentrate on pure grappling competition, how the hell does he come back older and with BETTER striking than ever before!?'

Someone needs to call Mulder and Scully

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 05:43 PM

Answer: If that man's name is Randy Couture, don't bother wrapping your head around that riddle.

I loved the interaction between Rich Franklin and Anderson Silva. You don't see that kind of class and respect in any other sport.

Joe Rogan said it right: "How could you possibly watch baseball after this?"
Posted by: medulanet

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 07:42 PM

Because baseball on TV is FREE!
Posted by: Steel91

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/04/07 08:46 PM

Awesome night of fights, the Kampmann fight was an awsome submission, the dude didn't wanna let go either!
Posted by: Cord

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/05/07 12:38 AM

Quote:

I loved the interaction between Rich Franklin and Anderson Silva. You don't see that kind of class and respect in any other sport.

You dont usually see that kind of stuff in MMA, or it would not be worth commenting on

Its nice to see two pro's acting like pro's. The whole 'I'm gonna kill him, i think he's a jerk' kind of pre fight stuff is nonsense. Ken and Tito took it to ridiculous levels, but even in lesser examples, its just embarassing and dull.
Saw the fights last night. That is the first time ever that Franklin has impressed me as a fighter. i know he has had some good wins in the past, but that is the first time I ever saw any real fire in him.
As for Randy vs Sylvia, if i had friends not into this stuff, and i wanted to show them what it's all about, this is the fight i would show them- exciting, skillful, aggressive. The perfect MMA performance. Props to Sylvia as well- I dont think many could have gone the distance against the Couture who turned up for that fight. Great neck defence in the first round, and great heart to keep going. if I was 280, and a guy swept me from my full sprawl, I think I would just tap, congratulate him, and go for a beer

So now we get Couture vs Crocop. I bet on Couture. i will never doubt Randy again- if Dana puts him up against the incredible hulk, and Randy is suffering from avian flu on the day of the fight, i will still have it as Hulk being stretched out
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/05/07 01:16 PM

i had a party to go to so I missed the PPV fights. Saw Hughes, Franklin, and Coutoure on Youtube. Awesome performance by Randy.
Posted by: shift

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/06/07 12:03 PM

Randy was so impressive. I was a fan before, but not a big fan. Now I'm a huge fan. That was really impressive, not just for age, but over all. If anyone else had come in and did that to Tim I would have been impressed.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: UFC 68 Discussion **Spoilers Inside** - 03/06/07 02:28 PM

Couture vs Syvia (while it lasts) -

http://mmafever.blogspot.com/2007/03/ufc-68-video-catch-it-while-you-can.html