Rapid Fire BJJ vid

Posted by: MattJ

Rapid Fire BJJ vid - 02/28/07 04:55 PM

Some cool stuff here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPXzUGAMSik
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Rapid Fire BJJ vid - 02/28/07 07:05 PM

Very cool. I do thise spin under all the time. A lot of fun and a big surprise for a lot of people.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Rapid Fire BJJ vid - 03/01/07 01:07 AM

Seen and done a few of the takedowns but most of the stuff is a little beyond me but I'm up for trying some of these. A few of the spinning techniques have been used on me by my Instructor. It just amazes me of how much more stuff there is out there to learn. I haven't even scratched the surface and the more stuff I see like this reminds me of how little I know.

There was one technique where you lift your partner off the ground and then kick him up in the air and he lands while you are putting him in an armbar. That I have trained a few times after the David Meyer seminar and after reviewing his armbar DVD which is good.

Page has been bookmarked.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Rapid Fire BJJ vid - 03/01/07 02:12 PM

All that spinning and twirling around the person just seems way to advanced. I've read many books on bjj and they all say stick to the basics. Both in competition and in self defense. Are those types of techniques significantly useful on an opponent who has no grappling skills?

What I mean is, they seem so advanced and just as fancy as say flying high kicks in tae kwon do.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Rapid Fire BJJ vid - 03/01/07 10:53 PM

Good question. I always say that advanced moves are only combinations of the basics. The spinning moves the guy was doing are all rooted in the same fundamentals that make the Kimura, Triangle and Armbar work. They are indeed functional, even in competitive rolling as opposed to this demo.

Would I use it in a serious situation to save my butt? Hopefully I won't have to find out, but I'll be glad I did the homework just in case. It is just a different expression of the art and a lot of fun.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Rapid Fire BJJ vid - 03/02/07 02:33 AM

I'm only a student of grappling from home DVD's but it just amazes me how many combinations and variations there really are on the ground. When I used to read old ju-jutsu books and they claimed that there is literally an endless amount of combinations and techniques I don't think they had ground fighting in mind.

But ground fighting itself really does seem to be a complete art in itself with infinite possibilities. And coupled with old stand up ju-justu it really is a complete art.