Had my first Jiu Jitsu class tonight.

Posted by: Zombie Zero

Had my first Jiu Jitsu class tonight. - 02/07/07 09:52 PM

I like to think I'm pretty good as a striker, but I know I suck out loud on the ground. That's why I started taking this grappling class. I want to be a well-rounded martial artist.

I've got a little bit of grappling experience, but nothing special. (No offense to my Shihan, he's a striker too )

After going through some drills, we had a few 'live' matches. I was paired up with a guy who was about as experienced as me.

After a few minutes of us flopping around like a coule of boated trout, I made him tap to the RNC. A couple minutes more, and he tapped to my armbar.

*Zombie mentally pats himself on the back*

Then I rolled with the instructor, and in short order, he tied me in knots.

I'm worn out, I know I'm going to be moving a little slower tomorrow, but I learned something tonight, and I had a great time.

I can't wait to get beat up again!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Had my first Jiu Jitsu class tonight. - 02/07/07 10:17 PM

Boy, do I know how you feel. After 15 years of AKK, I got a bit of grappling via JKD and some other sources. Enough to give me a big head - until I started taking BJJ officially.

It's good to go feet first into the unknown, though. Welcome to the club. Now defend yourself!

*does double leg to side control. Gets north/south, and controls near arm. Keylock FTW!*

See ya next class, virgin.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Had my first Jiu Jitsu class tonight. - 02/08/07 12:56 AM

Good for you and I'm envious. While I'm in recovering I hope you don't mind me living through your experiences. I love everything about grappling and I don't mind tapping at all as long as I'm learning. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself; have more fun for me.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Had my first Jiu Jitsu class tonight. - 02/08/07 09:27 AM

Thanks!

I am a little tender this morning, but feeling pretty good.

I'm still riding the emotional high that new training gives me, and I keep mentally running through the drills I learned.

Can't wait for the next class!

Quote:

See ya next class, virgin.

Aww, come on, Matt! I at least count as a debutante now, don't I?
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: Had my first Jiu Jitsu class tonight. - 02/10/07 12:03 AM

Welcome to the beautiful world of BJJ. Enjoy it and the injuries that come along with it.