IFL Event?

Posted by: JoelM

IFL Event? - 02/03/07 06:25 PM

There's an IFL (international fight league) event in my area at the end of feb.
http://www.ifl.tv/Event-Atlanta.html

11 fights total.

Tickets I'm looking at are starting at $58 (after taxes, fees, crap).

I've only been to one event before, it was mostly amateur, pretty cool but not as expensive. Any thoughts on this one?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: IFL Event? - 02/04/07 03:10 PM

IFL is really taking off and I watch it on TV. They are teams of fighters, most I've never heard of, who have coaches that you will have heard of such as Pat Miletich, Renzo Gracie, Matt Lindland, Bas Rutten, Frank Shamrock, Carlos Newton and many others and now Ken Shamrock even has a team. And many times the coaches also fight each other which is cool.

I posted earlier on about this in August and like I said, it is really taking off.
http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post15876001

I enjoy going to fights myself and go to the King of the Cages when they come to town plus local events such as the MFC (Maximum Fighting Championship). Jason MacDonald who beat Chris Leban and Ed Herman in the UFC and is scheduled to fight Rich Franklin in March started out in the MFC so it is nice to see local guys you know of making it big.
Posted by: migo

Re: IFL Event? - 02/04/07 04:06 PM

Sadly, UFC isn't interested in building MacDonald. Based on his fight with Leben he's going to look like Loiseau did after fighting Franklin.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: IFL Event? - 02/05/07 09:24 AM

I might have to agree with that. I'm not sure if they are the same calibre fighter but we shall see and I will have my fingers crossed for MacDonald. You never know though as I wouldn't have given Lutter a chance against Silva and though he came defeated already (in my mind) he last longer then Leban and Franklin. It will depend on what game MacDonald plays and how gun shy Franklin is.
Posted by: migo

Re: IFL Event? - 02/06/07 02:58 AM

Franklin being gun shy could play a part, but I'm sure he's watched tapes of MacDonald since he obviously studied Loiseau. I expect him to come out throwing punches more technically than Leben and taking his time so MacDonald has a hard time getting the body lock. If MacDonald does manage to get the body lock, he could put Franklin in trouble, but I also expect Franklin to be able to stall it long enough for a split up. Working with Greg Jackson, however will definitely have him going into the ring in about as good shape as he could possibly be.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: IFL Event? - 02/06/07 08:25 AM

Posted by: MattJ

Re: IFL Event? - 02/22/07 01:09 PM

Looks like IFL will be shown on regular TV and cable stations in the US on the Fox network.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3278&zoneid=1

"The International Fight League has reached an agreement to expand its relationship with cable channel Fox Sports Net, while also reaching a deal with network TV channel MyNetworkTV, which is also owned by Fox.

Under the terms of the agreement, FSN has multi-year rights to air 22 one-hour latenight programs starting in the second quarter of 2007 (April, May, or June). This will put the IFL into a more regular, weekly timeslot on FSN, as opposed to the more sporadic scheduling of IFL events in 2006.

The specific timeslot on FSN was not disclosed, but "latenight" from a TV scheduling standpoint generally refers to 11:00 PM or later. The UFC successfully launched on cable television in a latenight timeslot, although it did have something on its side that the IFL won't have: A show with millions of viewers (WWE Raw) as a lead-in."