Kimura- need help

Posted by: kumite99

Kimura- need help - 01/06/07 09:51 AM

In yesterday's BJJ class we were doing kimura's- now i have quite insane shoulder flexibility, so my arm can bend very far (stupidly far), before i have to submit. I did not tap before i could feel true 'submission pain,' as in the pain i feel before i tap when in other submissions, although inevitably feeling quite some discomfort, i felt fine up until this point.

It's never happened to me before, but early this morning i woke up experiencing a mild (not painful enough to actually hurt) but quite frustrating, 'numb' pain in my shoulder. It has since gone and apparently 'migrated' to the other shoulder as of the time of typing.

I can make a safe gues this pain too will eventually die down by tomorrow at latest, but is it anything to worry about? it isn't intense pain or anything, but do you guys ever experience this, or have a 'gone too far' when not tapping in training?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kimura- need help - 01/06/07 10:33 AM

If the pain goes away in a day or two, you should be fine. If not, go to a doctor and get it checked.

Don't be a hero in class. If they have it locked on good, just tap. Why take a chance when it's just training?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Kimura- need help - 01/06/07 02:41 PM

I have felt similar pains in the past. I felt this pain when I tore my rotator cuff but also when I crushed by C6 and C7 vertebrea in my neck and a disc was stuck between them. The numbness started in one shoulder and then worked to the other shoulder. Then later down my arm and into my hand. It even went as far as cutting off sensation in my right pec. It would come and go and tingle and many times I woke up and could not feel anything at all. At work it would become problems and thankfully with a MRI, therapy, perscription drugs and time I can "get by" and continue to do so ... and this has been more then a year.

Watch things and if it persists then do not hesitate and go see a doctor immediately and perferabally a sports doctor if you can as they will understand things better then your GP. It may only be some nerves pinched that will work themselves out on their own but like I said, if it continues then it could be much more serious and the sooner you get it looked at then the sooner you will be on your way for recovery.

Re: Kimura- need help - 01/06/07 03:20 PM

okay, thanks a lot for the help guys, hopefully it is just a case of "if it goes in a few days, should be alright"

p.s. just out of interest in your story canadian grappler, you do mean 'get by' in training right, not everyday life- that would be a bad injury
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Kimura- need help - 01/06/07 03:29 PM

Unfortunately I mean everyday life. The initial incident occured during a grappling accident in December of 2004 and then got worse by April of 2005. It was to a point that I was to go for surgery on my neck but my sports doctor was fearful as I may have come out even worse. The therapy helped a bit but more so the medication and even more so time . It got to a point earlier that I was taking too much medication both perscription and over the counter to almost an addiction point where I finally had to weened myself off of them both. I always have a slight neck ache but it is liveable and some days not even noticeable. I'll take the odd extra strength Ibuprofen twice the recommended dosage which has been cleared with my doctor, but this will just get me by. Grappling does not help things either which my doctor suggested repeatedly to stop but understands my reasoning as he was a professional NHL hockey player and understands pain and passion. I will go through some pretty bad time, with today being one of them, but I get by and I don't complain much about it. I have other pains and this is just one in many, though thankfully it is only pains and aches and not the numbness anymore. My only fears is that it could get worse down the road with continuing with my activities or when I'm older and how my body will pay me back.

Take care of yourself.

Re: Kimura- need help - 01/07/07 07:42 AM

sorry to hear, good luck with the grappling you do do though.