Triangle from inverted guard

Posted by: MattJ

Triangle from inverted guard - 12/12/06 02:31 PM

Not one, but two techniques I can't do well, all rolled up into one!

http://www.aesopian.com/101/ryan-halls-triangle-from-inverted-guard/
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Triangle from inverted guard - 12/13/06 11:45 AM

By itself, it is probably not what you should spend your training time working on. You spend enough time working open guard, you will discover that maneuver on your own.

Same for many of the "gee whiz!" moves.

The technique geeks are starting to take over and don't seem to have much time for fundamentals when there are so much more exciting things to put on the internet.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Triangle from inverted guard - 12/13/06 01:59 PM

Fundimentals are those for a reason, you need to know them and it is unbelievable how many times you use them. However I am one who likes some of the flashier techniques and do keep a few in my arsenal to use. Fitting those in with the basics takes time and constant training.
Posted by: Aesopian

Re: Triangle from inverted guard - 12/14/06 12:59 AM

This can be more of a "fundamental" than you might think. Rigan was famous for having an inverted guard game like this, as well as Roletta, and now Pe de Pano. Watch the tournament footage and you'll see it used successfully over and over (the triangle as well as going to inverted to defend guard pass, even without the triangle).
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Triangle from inverted guard - 12/14/06 10:20 AM

My response was to the poster who was having difficulty with the triangle itself. Thanks.

Rigan, Roletta and PeDePano are not the standard for beginners.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Triangle from inverted guard - 12/14/06 10:38 AM

Right, I was actually making fun of my non-ability to do fundamentals like the triangle, as opposed to the technique itself.