FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions

Posted by: Zombie Zero

FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/17/06 04:07 PM

As you (should) know, UFC 65: Bad Intentions is tomorrow night.

Let's see how well the UFC crew can pick the winners.

Who will win in the following matches? (Card subject to change)
Posted by: kyokushinkai

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/17/06 08:35 PM

GSP is taking it home
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/17/06 09:16 PM

I beg to differ. I beleive Matt Hughes will after a hard fight, take GSP down, using his spectacular wrestling ability, fight for a dominant postiton and submit GSP. Or win by judges decision. my boy Hughs is takin the Gold man!
Posted by: Boomer

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/18/06 02:42 AM

I can't believe that more people didn't vote for Monson! I can't stand Sylvia....he's big, and that's all...he has no skill. His style of fighting resembles Shaq playing basketball....big.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/18/06 08:44 AM

I voted Monson and Hughes.

Anybody else surprised to see Frank Mir still in there? I'm giving it to Vera just because Mir has GOT to be over the hill now. No offense, Frank!
Posted by: Cord

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/18/06 09:49 AM

Quote:

I voted Monson and Hughes.

Anybody else surprised to see Frank Mir still in there? I'm giving it to Vera just because Mir has GOT to be over the hill now. No offense, Frank!

I agree 100%. Mir had a long time out with his leg, but since returning has looked heavy and unhappy to be fighting. He lost his taste for the game IMO.

I just cannot bet against Monson, yet I really like Tim as well.

Same with Hughes and St.Pierre- I think they are both great, I just dont think St.Pierre has an answer to the willpower Hughes showed against Penn. The man is a machine.
Posted by: vegantkd

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/18/06 10:35 AM

I don't know, Mir looked good supposedly at weigh in yesterday.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/18/06 07:41 PM

Hughes by submission

Sylvia by TKO
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/18/06 07:47 PM

I think Sylvia's just to much more experienced at this point and tough of an opponent for Mir. The Maniac is most likely going to knock Mir flat out or at least batter him to a judges position IMHO.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/19/06 02:52 PM

Okay lets see how we all did.

Match 1: I picked Irvine ... I was correct.
Match 2: I picked O'Brian ... I was correct.
Match 3: I picked Hardonk ... I was correct.
Match 4: I picked Diaz ... I was correct.
Match 5: I picked Stevenson ... I was correct.
Match 6: I picked Sakara ... I was wrong.
Match 7: I picked Vera ... I was correct.
Match 8: I picked Sylvia ... I was correct.
Match 9: I picked GSP ... I was "very" correct.

Not bad ... one wrong.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/20/06 07:56 PM

I didn't get in on this early but I would have picked Monson and GSP.

It was obvious to me that it was GSP's time. What gave him the edge to me was the fact that he is every bit as strong as Hughes, though younger, quicker and more well-rounded. I believe it was Hughes's strength that has allowed him to manhandle nearly everyone he's faced thus far. I knew that wouldn't be the case against GSP.

-John
Posted by: migo

Re: FA.com's UFC 65 Predictions - 11/21/06 02:29 AM

Something his last two fights illustrated is that he doesn't have as good takedowns as he has hold down ability. GSP got Penn down a lot easier than Hughes did, but when Hughes got Penn down, Penn wasn't standing up almost at will the way he was with GSP. It was a situation where once Hughes had you down he kept you there, and he had good enough takedowns to get the fight down early. GSP and Penn both had the skill and strength to keep it standing when they wanted to, and Hughes didn't have a backup plan.