Matt Hughes retiring!

Posted by: MattJ

Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/15/06 02:06 PM

From a Sherdog article:

"Hughes recently confirmed to Sherdog.com that he indeed plans on fighting out his current UFC contract, which will have one bout left following his title defense against Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) on Nov. 18, before retiring from active participation in the sport of mixed martial arts.

The question was first broached when Hughes was asked where he saw himself a year from now. “Hopefully retired with my family back home,” the UFC welterweight champion responded.

“In a perfect world” Hughes declared that he would “fight a couple more times, retire, [and] go back home.”

rest of the article:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=6087
Posted by: vegantkd

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/15/06 02:38 PM

Interesting considering that I swear I just saw him say he wasn't looking to retire anytime soon. I think maybe he said that on TUF last Saturday.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/15/06 02:41 PM

I don't know what to think about this. He is a great fighter and he is in his prime why leave now?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/15/06 02:43 PM

Good question. I am guessing it is because:

Quote:

He is a great fighter and he is in his prime.

Perhaps he wants to go out on top.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/15/06 03:39 PM

Quote:

Interesting considering that I swear I just saw him say he wasn't looking to retire anytime soon. I think maybe he said that on TUF last Saturday.

You are correct and he did say that when the question was asked. I think he was playing it safe and not to upset anything. We shall see what he says after the GSP fight and whether he wins or loses. Perhaps if he wins he will go out on top and if he loses then he may be more hyped to continue the fight to gain it back again.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/15/06 06:49 PM

He wants to be the first to hold titles in multiple weight classes but I thought Radny Couture already did: Light Heavy and Heavy?
Posted by: Rainbowtiger

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/16/06 03:21 AM

Quote:

He wants to be the first to hold titles in multiple weight classes but I thought Radny Couture already did: Light Heavy and Heavy?

Yes you are correct Randy Couture has held both titles you listed but he did NOT hold both titles at the same time. Hughes stated that wanted to be the first to concurrently hold two titles in different weight classes. That means he will hold both titles at the same time. I personally hope GSP smashes Matt Saturday but I dont see it happening realistically. I hope GSP wins w/ a finish(Sub or KO) but i'll be happy w/ a decision.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/16/06 09:39 AM

he should keep fighting he might regret it and try later when hes past his prime
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/16/06 10:33 AM

Will GSP even be able to look Hughes in the eye this time?
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/16/06 11:36 AM

Quote:

I don't know what to think about this. He is a great fighter and he is in his prime why leave now?

Look at Mayweather, he's retiring after his next fight at the age of 30. Truth is, look at a fighter who goes on too long in later life and they're very likely to be suffering some sort of mental problem. Surely Matt Hughes deserves to try and limit that as much as possible, after the great fights he's given us and his help in advancing the sport.

I personally am very impressed by Matt Hughes, this decision by him comes accross to be as a very responsible thing to do and shows that his prioties are with his family, something that is very commendable. Of course it's a shame that we won't get to see him fight much longer, but I can't believe he'll just disappear from the sport, and am sure that he will support MMA in some way.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/16/06 12:02 PM

I say more power to him--guy had a long term plan, and he seems to be sticking to it.

I have my doubts though, the cynicial guy that I am, I wonder if its just a tactic for his nest contract.

Maybe.
Posted by: migo

Re: Matt Hughes retiring! - 11/20/06 01:48 AM

He's said since then he's not planning on retiring. Not sure if Sherdog misintepreted him.