Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight

Posted by: migo

Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/25/06 05:49 PM

http://www.ianmac.ca/SFCMovie.mov

It's a highlight from a tournament I did on saturday, doesn't show clips from all the matches on there, but it's got the endings of 3 of mine there (1 loss, 2 wins, I went 4W-3L). I'm in the grey rashguard with black stripe on the arms, blue nogi shorts and taped ankles.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/25/06 06:34 PM

Love grappling. There was a clip of a guy who did a step-over armbar but took far too long to break his opponent's grip. I wanted to yell out to use his healing and do a pumping motion or to roll his wrist in the inside of the arm. A lot of guys falling for the triange, funny how so many people forget to have both arms out or in. Of course I'm armchair quarterbacking here and I've fallen prey myself to stupid things in tournment matches, it is all a learning experience.

Was it a good turn out? Was it a tournament where everybody fights everybody in their weight class (round robin)? Or was it an elimination match? Were there weight classes? Where was this held? I didn't see any older fighters such as myself (38), was that a different class? I've never seen different classes for ages but who knows. I've always had to grapple all ages as long as they were in my weight class.

Nice ankle lock, he teed that up for you. Also good RNC. The guy in the beginning got a good armbar on you, I've see something similar but usually the person is on all fours, impressive. Do you every ask people afterwards about things they did so you can learn them? Did you find people there easy to talk to and friendly, I've always found this myself.

The video got hung up at the end for me so could not view the ending. Thanks, I enjoyed that.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/25/06 07:14 PM

Yeah, good turnout. Round robin, 51 people total. 8 in my weight class (155), other weight classes were 140, 170, 185, 205 and 205 and over. 185 class had 14 people so it was split in two halves, with the winners from each half fighting for gold. A guy on my team was at 185, and the tournament was essentially his 49th birthday celebration. He's very impressive to be going at that age.

The guy at the beginning actually got me with an omoplata/RNC combination that he set up with a very sick rubber guard gogoplata combination. I managed to roll out of it the first time, but the second time he got me tighter, I tried stepping up to shake him off but I didn't have the leverage I hoped and my hand went behind my back, I tapped because I couldn't think of an immediate escape from that position and I was about a half a second from getting my shoulder broken (it's still sore today actually).

Guy I got the RNC on was armbaring me at the same time, he went for a kimura before and I worked out of it as he got my back, I think he was a few degrees off from breaking it (my forearm's also sore from it) but I figured he didn't have much room to move quickly so it was a reasonable risk to tough it out and do the choke.

Guy who I got the toe hold on didn't train ankle locks, so unfortunately he didn't see it coming and only tapped after his ankle popped (if you turn the volume down you might be able to hear it on the video). He wasn't badly injured as he did the rest of his matches after that, but he was limping a bit. I've still gotta look him up to check how his ankle was going.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/26/06 09:23 AM

I see you are in Burnaby, BC ... you may be interested in this. I was e-mailed yesterday with the following information:

Quote:

Western Canadian Martial Arts Challenge
Saturday, October 21st, 2006
BCIT Main Gym, Burnaby, BC
Sport Karate Forms and Fighting, Continuous Fighting, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Freestyle Grappling, Pankration, Weapons Sparring

Pre-Registration Deadline: The deadline for pre-registration is Friday, Oct. 6th. Pre-registration forms need to be received by this date. Pre-Registered competitors receive one free spectator pass and avoid the registration line. Checks will be accepted for pre-registration only. Please make checks payable to Challenge Productions.

You may mail your form to:
Challenge Productions
#20-3502 150A St.
Surrey, BC
V3S 4R2

Or drop them of at our sponsor:

Bushido Martial Arts Supplies
7619 King George Highway
Surrey, BC
604-596-5132

Visit us on-line at www.wcmac.ca for complete tournament information including divisions and rules.

I wish I lived in BC.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/26/06 07:13 PM

Yeah, I'm already planning on going, but thanks anyway. BCIT is just a 10 minute drive from my appartment, so cutting weight is going to be really easy with a sauna in my appartment.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/27/06 12:14 AM

Good luck to you in that and let me know how things go.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/27/06 12:17 AM

Thanks! Yeah, I'll post updates.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/27/06 10:54 AM

Migo -

Any chance you can put those videos up on youtube or google video? I can't download things at work. I would like to see it.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/27/06 07:18 PM

I'm having problems with YouTube, it's keeping asking me to confirm my email even though I just confirmed it a couple minutes ago.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 09/28/06 03:01 AM

OK, worked after a few hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr4JNlI9XX4

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 10/22/06 01:23 AM

Quote:

Good luck to you in that and let me know how things go.

I got there slightly overweight, so I spent an hour cutting to 152 and decided I'd just do pankration because I'd drained myself cutting. I didn't get to fight until 7 hours later so I could have gone for lunch and dinner, and there was nobody else in my division so I ended up in the 173lbs advanced division - still only one opponent. I lost my match, several screw ups on my part, but still came away with a silver medal, bleh. Good learning experience, I know a lot of things I need to work on because of it, disappointing performance for me though.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 10/22/06 12:48 PM

That's too bad. I had always thought about trying the Pankration and also in many of these there is sports Jujitsu which I thought about. Then after watching them I decided to just stick to gi and no gi competitions. Perhaps one day but just not today.

At least you gave it a go and there will be plenty more for you to attend. What happened with the weight thing? Something sneak up on your or your own scale was out?
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 10/22/06 02:01 PM

Pretty good stuff. For some reason I thought you were closer to my weight (205) though I dont know why. Anyways good vid.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 10/22/06 08:40 PM

With the weight, I was 151.2lbs on Wednesday after having all you can eat sushi on Tuesday, so I figured I had nothing to worry about weight wise. Somehow I put on 3-4lbs in the 3 days.

Chen, I'm probably your height, but weight wise I'm definitely skinny. I can fight at featherweight.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 10/25/06 11:10 AM

Hey! I finally got to watch it! Good stuff, Migo. Props for manning up with a video. It looked like a good tournament, not too many jackasses on the highlight.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 10/26/06 08:37 PM

Yeah, it was a really well run tournament. The injury rate seemed a bit high, but I guess people just have to learn to tap.

Re: Sub Wrestling Tournament Highlight - 10/27/06 02:05 AM

Agreed. The last tournament I attended in June I believe, there was Gi Grappling, No Gi Submission Wrestling, Sports Jujitsu and then Pankration. In the Sport Jujitsu a guy wouldn't tap when the guy had a Tree-Up (Americana) on him so his arm got broken. I can't figure that out for the life of me why he didn't tap. Thankfully there was medical people on hand and an ambulance outside.

In the tournament I attended in April I got caught first in a triangle which I fought out of and somehow got stuck in again. I had my opponent pinned up against the cage and I was able to get out of it however he then transitioned into an armbar. I believe I could have got out of it and perhaps picked him off of the ground and slammed him but in the back of my mind I also knew he could have done more damage to my already healing distal bicep tendon so tapped. Honestly, losing wasn't all that bad and really I was only there for the learning experience and to see where I was at. It was a round robin with weight classes and I was in the Light Heavyweight division. I weighed the least, I was the shortest, I was the oldest, I had the least training and I was with 1 other beginner and the others were all intermediate or advanced players. I came away with 2-5-1 ... I was pretty happy. I held my own and like I said, it was a learning issue more then it was to take home any medals. People need to remember this. We don't get paid, this isn't our job so don't sweat it.